Forge light engine. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sanctuary for stalkers
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-11, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Re: Forge light engine.

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
If the FIRST time we get to play with air is when the 57th iteration of COD comes out i wont be a happy camper. PS2 will be on huxly/DNF status
I don't know, at the rate Activi$sion wants to release new CoD games this might not be too far off
Old 2011-07-11, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

There is a + and a -. Forgelight can be something noone has ever seen before and just be so utterly spectacular that the universe collapses by the gravity of its awesomeness. Or it may suck.
Old 2011-07-11, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
There is a + and a -. Forgelight can be something noone has ever seen before and just be so utterly spectacular that the universe collapses by the gravity of its awesomeness. Or it may suck.
It will probably be released in 2012, so you never know!
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Levente
First Sergeant

it supports realtime radiosity? AWESOME! i just hope the sounds and animations will live up to the graphics level as well. What does exactly Nvidia physic support mean? do i need an extra physx card or what? i thought this crap was integrated in the latest nvidia cards, can someone clear this up for me? thanks

Last edited by Levente; 2011-07-11 at 04:57 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
hippieschuh
Private

it is integrated but they also said you dont need a nvidia card, it will run withouth aswell. You will get a bit of a frame rate advantage when using physics card though.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by hippieschuh View Post
it is integrated but they also said you dont need a nvidia card, it will run withouth aswell. You will get a bit of a frame rate advantage when using physics card though.
so the only advantage of the physics card is the extra framerate?
Old 2011-07-11, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
hippieschuh
Private

at least thats how I understand it.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Ragdoll, car physics, etc.
That stuff uses physx.
If your machine lacks a physx compatible graphics card, your cpu will take care of it to some degree. Unless they use special physics effects, you wont need physx.
In any way, im saving to replace my gtx280, just to be sure. ;-)
Old 2011-07-11, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
so the only advantage of the physics card is the extra framerate?
PhysX can be ran off most Nvidia cards, if you have an ATI Radeon then it will run off your CPU. In my past history this has sucked and you get shitty framerates and horrible performance HOWEVER I think nvidia are trying to improve this and are allowing Physx to use multiple CPU cores so perhaps it will be better in PS2.

Also if you have a radeon card you can by like a 7800 or 8800 for 30 quid and run physx off that and play games of your radeon
Old 2011-07-11, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
PhysX can be ran off most Nvidia cards, if you have an ATI Radeon then it will run off your CPU. In my past history this has sucked and you get shitty framerates and horrible performance HOWEVER I think nvidia are trying to improve this and are allowing Physx to use multiple CPU cores so perhaps it will be better in PS2.

Also if you have a radeon card you can by like a 7800 or 8800 for 30 quid and run physx off that and play games of your radeon
so when if i have a 590 gtx, then i dont have to worry about buying an additional physx card
Old 2011-07-11, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
CoD: part 57.
This was only a temporary title, part 57 has now been officially named "Call of Duty 57 - Futuristic Boogaloo"
Old 2011-08-08, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Here's another "Resurrection" thread by me.

Am still interested in all the mechanics behind the "forge light engine" we have talked about the lighting we know that its going to allow for seamless zones and there applying the physx by nvidia to it. but what else can this puppy do?.

If SOE intends this engine to be there flag ship then its gonna need to be highly customizable and frequent updates to keep it Alive and into the next generation of games. and will they Sell the usage of this 3d engine to other developers like many of the other companies do? A.K.A Unreal Engine witch is host so some of the most impressive games today, like Mass Effect and Gears of War.

And while i was writing this i looked up and saw hamma's picture and it said volumetric fog, if there's an explosion with in a dense fog will you be able to see the fog disperse or expand?
Old 2011-08-09, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bruttal View Post
Am still interested in all the mechanics behind the "forge light engine" we have talked about the lighting we know that its going to allow for seamless zones and there applying the physx by nvidia to it. but what else can this puppy do?
I'd imagine a lot since it's being used for the Everquest Next game. It wouldn't surprise me if the Engine has all the features required for both Planetside 2 and Everquest Next so whatever you'd imagine is in an MMORPG could simultaneously be brought into Planetside 2 effortlessly.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hamma
PSU Admin

Sirisian is probably right, I think SOE will be using this engine from here on out for their games. Maintaining a bunch of engines must be a total pain it's in their best interest to use this engine across all future games.

From what they are saying it is very customizable.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-09, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Baron
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
...1km x 1km or 1sq km..
It's sad that Boris even has to EXPLAIN this, hooray for the education system!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion