Any word on Air? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not insert foreign objects into certification terminals
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-31, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Question Any word on Air?

Just quickly wondering about it. Are there going to be any changes? If so, do we have an idea as to what they will be?

I'm soon turning into a mainly Aircraft guy when I play and I remember 3 or 4 patches ago where aircraft were what they should be- dangerous, but could be taken down with bursters.

I won't go on, chances are most of you people know how often I rant about this, but I'm trying to be productive here so I won't keep bothering all of you about it

Basically, will Aircraft (especially the Scythe, which is the bottom of all aircraft atm) get a buff or a tweak to mechanics to make them better?

Thanks very much.
Old 2012-10-31, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Any word on Air?

When I talked to the devs they were pretty happy about air overall I doubt we will see sweeping changes. We will however see tweaks to AA as Higby has mentioned.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-10-31, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Ok, thanks Hamma
Old 2012-10-31, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Air is still incredibly potent, AA is the problem.
Old 2012-10-31, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Well yes I agree- it just seems that they are intertwined. A new Light PPA on my Scythe makes things extremely easy to kill others with that + rockets, but I NEVER get a chance to use both on one target, because every time I try I just get practically one shotted by AA guns, whether it be a burster MAX or skyguard. It's an issue, I don't see how anyone can be happy with it atm.
Old 2012-10-31, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Have you certed out composite armor? For me the problem arises as soon as there is even 1 g2a launcher + flak.
Old 2012-11-01, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Yes. I have 2 levels (which I believe is half way) Problem with air is its too based off of an enemy seeing you: instantly killed by reavers today, their Anti Air gun is ridiculous, but that's besides the point. I love flying, but I hate being instantly killed just because I was not constantly moving at above half throttle for more than 1 second. It's annoying, and the VTOL mechanic is silly except for galaxies and liberators XD
Old 2012-11-01, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
Yes. I have 2 levels (which I believe is half way) Problem with air is its too based off of an enemy seeing you: instantly killed by reavers today, their Anti Air gun is ridiculous, but that's besides the point. I love flying, but I hate being instantly killed just because I was not constantly moving at above half throttle for more than 1 second. It's annoying, and the VTOL mechanic is silly except for galaxies and liberators XD
You gotta learn to jam afterburners and do some flips, go straight up or fly real low, the second flak hits you. That way you usually won't die. However, you'll still be unable to do anything in the area, as AA is a bit too strong. It's not exactly an instant kill at the moment though.
Old 2012-11-01, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bear
Corporal

Higby said in his Amerish preview the AA needs to be toned down. It was interesting to listen to him though because he helps you to realize how many things in this game are inter-related.

For example, he talked about the "too many Sunderers" issue. He pointed out that the strength of AA means the Liberators and Reavers can't get to Sunderer's. If you tone down the AA then the Liberators can do what they do and there won't be as many Sundy's.
Old 2012-11-01, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Storn
Sergeant

I agree that the Lightning and Burster MAX is tough on aircraft. In most cases by the time I get my grounder locked on and fire the aircraft is either dead or damn near.

What I would like to see changed is the missile speed for Heavy assault. Aircraft can out run my missile (no way an aircraft can out run a missile even with afterburners), fire flares (that trick my missile or make it where I can’t target) and/or out maneuver my missile (agree with this as I have seen some amazing moves to avoid a missile). Launcher missiles should not be so easily avoided.

Question: If a aircraft casn be certed to gain more armor and resistance why can't I cert my grounder for more missle speed and/or warhead damage increases?
Old 2012-11-01, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
HydroBIG BANG
Private

AA is getting a bit of a nerf next patch
Old 2012-11-01, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

It's not AA power that is the problem, it's same as MBT/sunderers/lightnings - just too much of it...

Can't see an easy fix for this.

Last edited by Tamas; 2012-11-01 at 10:43 AM.
Old 2012-11-01, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Storn
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
It's not AA power that is the problem, it's same as MBT/sunderers/lightnings - just too much of it...

Can't see an easy fix for this.
Agreed! Like you said what can you do? I did notice last night that the cheapest weapon in the MAX certs is the Anti-air at 46 points. Maybe bring the cost down on the other weapons and give people something a little more obtainable to purchase.
Old 2012-11-01, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

No the Skyguard is really too powerful atm :P

Bursters are also WAAAY too inexpensive for their power.
Old 2012-11-02, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
psijaka
Contributor
Major

As someone who delights in blasting aircraft out of the sky with both the Skyguard and dual Bursters, I have to say that I agree that AA is too strong, especially at range. Liberators and Galaxies are far too vulnerable in particular (fighters have speed on their side, and are small targets).

We'll have to see how the nerf pans out, but I would favour a Skyguard/Burster projectile velocity reduction, to make it more difficult to track targets, especially at range. I shoudn't be able to take out a Liberator on the skyline. But if a Scythe pilot is just hovering in front of me, then they deserve to die.

I would also suggest increasing the armour on Galaxies and Liberators, at the moment they are just big, soft, slow moving bullet magnets.

Just increasing the cost is not a good solution; will do nothing in the long run.

Edit - this short compilation shows just how deadly dual Bursters are, even at long range (Ok so the first kill is a gift). Flying a Liberator must be a miserable business.

Last edited by psijaka; 2012-11-02 at 08:43 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion