News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rejected.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-12, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

This is probably going to delay so much shit for the PC version. That is if they don't have another team working on porting it over to console.
Old 2013-06-12, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
MrKwatz
Private

Originally Posted by Methonius View Post
This is probably going to delay so much shit for the PC version. That is if they don't have another team working on porting it over to console.
They have a separate team working on porting and maintaining the PS4 version, all engine optimization and content will be shared, with the PS4 only to be lagging behind the PC version due to patch certification.
Old 2013-06-12, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
exile
Private

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Why do you care anyway? Do you want to play aim-assist-handicapside so badly as to argue in favor of prenerfing the console port into a CoD clone?
Whaaa? Is this aimed at me? I don't even understand the question. Who is talking about "prenerfing" what now? What does that even mean?

Last edited by exile; 2013-06-13 at 01:16 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrKwatz View Post
They have a separate team working on porting and maintaining the PS4 version, all engine optimization and content will be shared, with the PS4 only to be lagging behind the PC version due to patch certification.
That's good to hear.
Old 2013-06-13, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Just a thought on KB/M support on console

A common discussion on the subject of FPS on console is why you would get it in the first place. I've had tons of discussions with people who say that PC is better in practically every way, arguing that it is cheaper, more versatile, KBM is easier to use (and better), and if you want, you can still use controllers on it. While all these arguments are valid, I think the biggest thing this discussion highlights, is how absurd it is to bring KBM to FPS games on consoles.

If you really want to play an FPS using KBM, all these arguments apply to you, not the players who want to play FPS games with a controller. It's clearly a better choice. If you're ready to come on forums and make a case for KBM on consoles, you must be really interested in the game in question, so why not get a gaming PC instead?

The only group of players you cater to by allowing KBM-use in a console FPS game, are those whose primary gaming genre is not FPS. It's the people who bought a console primarily to play racing games, adventure games, or sports games. Some of these people might also be slightly interested in FPS games, but they will only get it if they can use a KBM.

Do you really want to cater to this tiny demographic at the expense of your core player-base? While KBM is superior in most aspects, it's important to think of why people play FPS on consoles (as their primary genre).

I'm sure people have their own reasons for choosing to buy a console for FPS games, but here are some of mine:

- I need a laptop for mobility, which covers most of my "PC-needs", making it hard to justify paying for gaming PC
- Where I live, a desk wouldn't fit
- I don't want to play at a desk in general - used to be my thing, but not anymore
- I'm probably only part of a tiny minority who has this viewpoint, but I like to play against people who has the same hardware as me, to ensure that we are as "equal" as possible

I'm part of a large group of people who choose to play FPS on consoles, and who are dedicated to being as good as they can. Most people are like this; they play a game with the intention to get good at it.
I know that mine, and many others' interest in the game will decline significantly if you force us to change the setup in our rooms, and force us play the console differently than for what we bought it for.
Old 2013-06-13, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by exile View Post
I honestly don't know what it is, but most of these cross-platform advocates are so thick it hurts.

Essentially the logic of these guys can be translated into combining a motorcycle race- and a bicycle-race.

---

Motorcyclist: Lol, this is going to be great. It's going to be so easy beating these guys. It makes sense they're in the race though, because then we have more people competing!

Cyclist: This is unfair, I'd rather just race against other cyclists.

Motorcyclist: Why are you complaining? If it means so much, then just get motorcycle instead.

Cyclist: I don't want to use a motorcycle.

Motorcyclist: Then you have no right to complain, because we gave you the option. So stop whining about how you can't win.

Cyclist: It's not about winning, it's about the conditions under which you win.

Motorcyclist: Fine, then quit, some of your other cyclist buddies has made the smart choice and started riding motorcycles.

*Cyclist quits.

Motorcyclist: What a noob. Oh well, now we can finally get this huge race going.

*Most of the cyclists that converted gradually begin to realize that they don't like to ride a motorcycle.

*Many more cyclists leave. Now only a fraction of the initial cyclist population remain.

---

This is what will happen with cross-platform, or even they add KBM on console without cross-platform.
Old 2013-06-13, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
Just a thought on KB/M support on console

A common discussion on the subject of FPS on console is why you would get it in the first place. I've had tons of discussions with people who say that PC is better in practically every way, arguing that it is cheaper, more versatile, KBM is easier to use (and better), and if you want, you can still use controllers on it. While all these arguments are valid, I think the biggest thing this discussion highlights, is how absurd it is to bring KBM to FPS games on consoles.

If you really want to play an FPS using KBM, all these arguments apply to you, not the players who want to play FPS games with a controller. It's clearly a better choice. If you're ready to come on forums and make a case for KBM on consoles, you must be really interested in the game in question, so why not get a gaming PC instead?

The only group of players you cater to by allowing KBM-use in a console FPS game, are those whose primary gaming genre is not FPS. It's the people who bought a console primarily to play racing games, adventure games, or sports games. Some of these people might also be slightly interested in FPS games, but they will only get it if they can use a KBM.

Do you really want to cater to this tiny demographic at the expense of your core player-base? While KBM is superior in most aspects, it's important to think of why people play FPS on consoles (as their primary genre).

I'm sure people have their own reasons for choosing to buy a console for FPS games, but here are some of mine:

- I need a laptop for mobility, which covers most of my "PC-needs", making it hard to justify paying for gaming PC
- Where I live, a desk wouldn't fit
- I don't want to play at a desk in general - used to be my thing, but not anymore
- I'm probably only part of a tiny minority who has this viewpoint, but I like to play against people who has the same hardware as me, to ensure that we are as "equal" as possible

I'm part of a large group of people who choose to play FPS on consoles, and who are dedicated to being as good as they can. Most people are like this; they play a game with the intention to get good at it.
I know that mine, and many others' interest in the game will decline significantly if you force us to change the setup in our rooms, and force us play the console differently than for what we bought it for.

I think in this game at we can have consoles and PCs playing together in the same servers. And if you want to use a gamepad then more power to you. The one thing is that a combined server would not support aim assist. And since that would ratchet up the difficulty substantially for a console jocky there should be other interface options for owners of the ps4. Instead pf a full blown m+k setup maybe sony could develop mini gaming keyboard and trackball. The pluses of having combined servers are incredible for pc users and I think it would be good for ps4 players as well.
Old 2013-06-13, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Crator
Major General

I honestly don't know what it is, but most of these cross-platform advocates are so thick it hurts.

Essentially the logic of these guys can be translated into combining a motorcycle race- and a bicycle-race.

*Long scenario describing how a motorcycle will outperform a bicycle in a race against the two*

This is what will happen with cross-platform, or even they add KBM on console without cross-platform.
I'm not advocating cross-platform so I can own console players. I desire community and development synergy. That's all. This is a MMO which happens to have a 5 year development plan. That means lots of things change and development between the two platforms needs to work together.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-13 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
Maidere
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I think in this game at we can have consoles and PCs playing together in the same servers. And if you want to use a gamepad then more power to you. The one thing is that a combined server would not support aim assist. And since that would ratchet up the difficulty substantially for a console jocky there should be other interface options for owners of the ps4. Instead pf a full blown m+k setup maybe sony could develop mini gaming keyboard and trackball. The pluses of having combined servers are incredible for pc users and I think it would be good for ps4 players as well.
Dont forget, that the combined server function will most likely require s*** ton of programming. And when SOE will accomplish it it will appear that only like 5% of all PS4 guys are playing there; and even worse, those people who jumped on combined servers with a gamepad had such terrible experience they have quit PS2 once and for all.
Old 2013-06-13, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Maidere View Post
Dont forget, that the combined server function will most likely require s*** ton of programming. And when SOE will accomplish it it will appear that only like 5% of all PS4 guys are playing there; and even worse, those people who jumped on combined servers with a gamepad had such terrible experience they have quit PS2 once and for all.

I wouldnt want a ps4 player to jump onto a pc server without knowing what they were getting into. But what a console player would get if they did make that leap is an already established world. And youre right, playing with a standard dual stick gamepad probably would make things more difficult. This is where sony could make a little extra money selling hybrid fps controllers.
Old 2013-06-13, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
Maidere
Sergeant

I wouldnt want a ps4 player to jump onto a pc server without knowing what they were getting into. But what a console player would get if they did make that leap is an already established world. And youre right, playing with a standard dual stick gamepad probably would make things more difficult. This is where sony could make a little extra money selling hybrid fps controllers.
We are going in circles here. You want to sell a special controller to make an f2p game first time experience better?
My point is - it MIGHT work, might not, most likely we will end up having a very small amount of console players on those common servers. But it will take way too much resources to implement this feature, so it's simply not worth trying.
Old 2013-06-13, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

I know people are concerned with the size of PS2's playerbase, but this is not an option. There might be an injection of players initially, but it would quickly disappear.

Console players choose the console because they want to play with the controller, AND be competitive. Not only will the mini-KB you are suggesting have no significance, because again that's not why console players own a console. They want to be competitive, but not at the expense of the reason that they bought the console in the first place.

Also, think about what you're saying. A common complaint about having a console version in the first place, is that it will take a lot of development time. Not only would it take up much time to develop an entirely new mini-KB, but they would also have to invest a lot of time into balancing KBM vs. controller (most likely at the expense of PC players in the form of restrictions like they have in Dust514)
Old 2013-06-13, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I'm not advocating cross-platform so I can own console players. I desire community and development synergy. That's all. This is a MMO which happens to have a 5 year development plan. That means lots of things change and development between the two platforms needs to work together.
The overall increase in the playerbase will be much larger if the platforms are kept separate. If I was to guess I'd think you'd only get a 5-10% increase in population by cross-platforming. If you don't I think you could get anywhere between 100-300%, for the simple reason that console players won't feel screwed over. Also, there's a limit to how much aim-assist can balance the scales. Something on the other end will have to give, and SOE would probably be forced to nerf KBM, like with Dust514. So you could potentially lose PC players on that account.
Old 2013-06-13, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I think Dust 514 is playstation only. Why cant we have a game that breaks all convention. To unify the playerbase would be another accolade for soe. And if they can actually pull it off with some style then ps2 would be the better for it.
Old 2013-06-13, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Crator
Major General

If I was to guess
That's seems to be going on a lot in regards to anti cross-platform people. Lots of guessing and speculating. I've said what I want to say on the subject already though...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion