[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is omniscent.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-14, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Neksar
Corporal

Re: TRACK IR??

It's 'gimmicky' until it doesn't need to be shoehorned into a game.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
What is the percentage of players who would realistically be expected to make use of this feature were it to be supported? This is the first time I've even heard of this, myself.

Simple how many people do yo think would flick over a hat switch in a REAVER? to try and get some SA (Situational Awareness)???

Thats all you need. Track IR software (that comes from Natural Point) just changes the input from a hat switch to the track device.

So I would say 100% of good pilots.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
It's 'gimmicky' until it doesn't need to be shoehorned into a game.
See above reply.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Neksar
Corporal

Originally Posted by HoovesMcG View Post
See above reply.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Simple how many people do yo think would flick over a hat switch in a REAVER? to try and get some SA (Situational Awareness)???

Thats all you need. Track IR software (that comes from Natural Point) just changes the input from a hat switch to the track device.

So I would say 100% of good pilots.
Put it into the game for those who will use it, sure. And for pilots I can see it being maybe useful, though a hatswitch feels like a more solid option.

But I would never use it. It's pretty much wasted for infantry and vehicles. Trying to adjust for your head movement AND keep the cross hairs on target just seems like it would over shadow the tiny amount of extra vision.

Which I don't think it even really does, considering you can just use the normal mouse to look in that direction.

It makes it much more immersive, sure. But it would hurt the combat effectiveness.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
Put it into the game for those who will use it, sure. And for pilots I can see it being maybe useful, though a hatswitch feels like a more solid option.

But I would never use it. It's pretty much wasted for infantry and vehicles. Trying to adjust for your head movement AND keep the cross hairs on target just seems like it would over shadow the tiny amount of extra vision.

Which I don't think it even really does, considering you can just use the normal mouse to look in that direction.

It makes it much more immersive, sure. But it would hurt the combat effectiveness.
It would be more for vehicles and Aircraft. While effective on the ground, the mouse already is sufficient enough for planetsides mechanics. (no prone). But the aircraft and vehicles would be well off using this kind of freelook.

I find it pretty funny to all the hostile "DONT PUT IT IN" folks. as it really doesnt effect them one bit. But the inclusion of this support is both easy and beneficial to those that want to go that extra mile to up the immersion. And if it was freelook dependent. EVERYONE would have the same ability. through any keys or tracker they choose, be it Track IR or freetrack.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I find it pretty funny to all the hostile "DONT PUT IT IN" folks.
It's time spent on one feature that could be spent on another. If someone is not interested in investing the time and money required to utilize that feature, then it might make sense that they'd see it as a wasted effort.
Old 2012-02-14, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
It's time spent on one feature that could be spent on another. If someone is not interested in investing the time and money required to utilize that feature, then it might make sense that they'd see it as a wasted effort.

That comment is so overused, and misunderstood. The level of coding that these guys are at (SOE) devs is so high that the time it takes to program in mouselook could be accomplished in less than 4 hours. You know how I know, Ive done it, and Im not even a professional coder. And all of that argument is besides the point. If Matt Higby wanted to do it. he would respond to Natural Point and say "hey guys can you set this up for us?" and they would provide all the necessary code needed to implement. And what does that equal? No SOE time spent on implementing the dreaded new fangled track IR.

I swear you all sound like Old people screaming " Back in my day sonny!!!"
there have been a crap ton of games that have implemented it and the world still hasn't collapsed. But the games are better.

But just cause I'm digging this conversation so much. How long do you think it would take to code it in? And what feature will they not have time to work on if they have to code a hat switch to move a camera a whole 3 ways?
Old 2012-02-14, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Reginald
Private

Rather see the development time go towards something like cross empire vehicle stealing than this, especially considering that a track ir setup costs upwards of $130.
Old 2012-02-14, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Rather see the development time go towards something like cross empire vehicle stealing than this, especially considering that a track ir setup costs upwards of $130.

1. It takes no time to develop
2. freetrack is.............free.
Old 2012-02-14, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
CutterJohn
Colonel

Seriously guys. The 'It takes dev time! argument is worthless. Yes, it takes a tiny bit of time. But not enough worth worrying over. It'd be less than a days work for a programmer. Probably not even that much. Even PS1 supported freelook to a degree in certain vehicles/tanks.

I don't use Track IR, but I have no issues with its inclusion.
Old 2012-02-14, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Tycho
Private

What a bunch of whiners. Whats wrong with a freelook feature that your just keymapping to a different input device? Nobody said it has to be in at launch. It would be a nice feature in game for players to enhance their play experience.

I've never used TrackerIR or anything similar. I have used my hat switch to look around while flying in different flight simulators. Ive also used the hat switch to freelook while driving vehicles in other games. This isnt some ground breaking feature thats never been seen or used before.
Old 2012-02-14, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
What a bunch of whiners. Whats wrong with a freelook feature that your just keymapping to a different input device? Nobody said it has to be in at launch. It would be a nice feature in game for players to enhance their play experience.

I've never used TrackerIR or anything similar. I have used my hat switch to look around while flying in different flight simulators. Ive also used the hat switch to freelook while driving vehicles in other games. This isnt some ground breaking feature thats never been seen or used before.
Ya I have never used track IR but a lot of the guys I played Arma 2 with have it and swear by it. I think they should implement it as well as all new and upcoming features if they really want this game to succeed and do as well as it could. Also something they need to include support for is triple head (using 3 monitors) so you have peripheral vision at all times that combined with track IR would be the shit in Planetside! Alot of players are all ready doing this is flying sims and fps's across the market. SOE needs to do this or they are shooting them selves in the foot by not incorporating new technology that's is being marketed in the fast based fps world they are trying so hard to compete in.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-14 at 02:46 AM.
Old 2012-02-14, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR

Yup they better put free look in so we can use this. Even bf3 has free look. This game would never be able to compete with other new fps's of the future if they don't add simple common sense things in like this.
Old 2012-02-14, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Coreldan
Colonel

As the "other thread" shows, I too want this

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion