PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-21, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: My first car...

That 5.0 fox body is a great first car...don't get into too much trouble with it.

My first car was a B5 (~2000ish) Passat with the 1.8T. It was a hand-me-down. Nice car...but with some reliability issues.

Then I bought a 1991 (the e30 generation) BMW 318is, which had been swapped for the inline 6 cylinder. It's a fucking hoot. Looks like the car in my sig..or this, but with fog lights in the lower valence:

(The e30 BMW is part of The Car Lounge's "holy trinity" along with the 4.0 Jeep Cherokee and the NA Mazda Miata, for good reason)

I still have that but it's at my parents house. Now I drive a second gen Mini Cooper S hardtop in British Racing Green. Thing is a riot...but I'm planing to sell it.
I'll bring the e30 back up here and get an old Cherokee, Audi or Subaru for the winter.

I'm really lusting after a Z3 coupe or one of the Subaru/Scion BRZ/FR-S twins. I had a drive in an FR-S the other day. It's the only way to get a new rear-wheel-drive sportscar at a decent price, besides the Miata, that hasn't been bloated up in weight and size, like the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger(LOLOLOL it's huge). I do have some hope for the next gen Mustang, though. It's supposed to be smaller/lighter and have IRS.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-07-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Cutter
Private

My first car was a 1970 Volvo. The thing was a beast in the best sense of the word. Easy and cheap to fix - and didn't need much of either. Had 240,000KM on it when I bought it - cost me a grand. And I drove it for 2 years all over North America road trippin' like it was goin' out of style. Hell, I'd probably still be driving it today if some asshole in his big F150 hadn't plowed into it. And yes, those Volvo crumple zones really work. Any other care and I'd wager I'd have been seriously hurt or worse, but with this I walked away without a scratch. His name was Moondoggy!
Old 2012-07-22, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I had a drive in an FR-S the other day. It's the only way to get a new rear-wheel-drive sportscar at a decent price, besides the Miata, that hasn't been bloated up in weight and size, like the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger(LOLOLOL it's huge).
Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Both the Turbo I4 and the V6 are a blast to drive - I did both on the test-drive circuit before my last purchase. If I had to guess, I'd say the Toyota 86 and the Genesis are going to become a classic rivalry - they both have a ton of personality and are quite nimble.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah, I forgot about it...it just doesn't push my buttons much...and the rear window looks like a dick.

The Gencoupe is a step in the right direction mechanically. But, it's still much heavier and much bigger than the 86. Almost as big as the 'stang

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-07-23, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Dude, fantastic graphic. That sums it up nicely.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge