Concerns with squad spawning and Light Assault - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So popular it's on Facebook!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-13, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nick
Corporal

Concerns with squad spawning and Light Assault

Hi all. As you know, squad spawning is now part of the game. However, I do believe there a number of abuses and imbalance with the proposed system.

Currently, a Commander with the proper certification is able to have his squad spawn on him. However, the Light Assault class adds a whole new dynamic with Jump Jets, allowing them to get into interesting and potentially abusive places for squad spawning. A Light Assault who is also a Commander can circumvent much of the base's obstacles, and get into a good spot where squad spawning would be quite strong. For example, getting into a spot where you can then spawn in a ton of MAX's which could quickly swing the tide of battle.

I think this form of squad spawning kind of cheapens the experience of a good fight. There's only a few solutions I thought of.

-Have squad spawn be from an Engineer deployable, so it can't be placed in abusive locations by a Light Assault commander (best idea I could think of)
-Making MAX's unable to squad spawn (kinda dumb restriction, doesn't make sense)
-Requiring Commanders to carry some new kind of the CUD that Light Assault isn't able to carry (doesn't really make sense either)

Maybe I'm reading to much into this but it seems like there definitely could be some problems with the current implementation for squad spawning.

What are your guys thoughts and opinions?
Old 2012-03-13, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Concerns with squad spawning and Light Assault

>A ton of maxes

If you spend a lot of time spawning them up high, I don't see why they don't deserve this. I'm sure someone would notice drop pods raining down every few moments.

Or they could just make it so drop pods/squad spawning cannot be used on top of or inside of buildings.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Squad spawning will be drop pods. There is no where a jump pack can get that a drop pod could not. It will simply be a matter of where they allow drop pods to land, which will probably not be on buildings.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-13, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This isn't really any different than a squad that drops in from a galaxy.

The bases are open, so if a squad was on top of a roof they'd be sitting ducks for aircraft.

If a squad leader is a light assault and he runs off and dies trying to get up some place then the medics can't reach him.

And last drop pods give away position of the squad leader. And since they come from the sky I don't think it'll be too effective if the squad leader isn't under the open sky.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zenben
Master Sergeant

I don't see how this is any different than a cloaker in PS1 sneaking/dropping to a tactically advantageous spot and placing a router pad. As a matter of fact, the router was more dangerous, because it wasn't limited just to your squad.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Erendil
First Lieutenant

I'm not too worried. In addition to what others have said, the drop pod mechanic will give defenders enough of a warning that they will probably be ready for the droppers once they emerge from said pods. Most likely someone will notice the pods and will sound out the alarm much like they did for Mossie hotdroppers in PS1.

Lastly, even if they could land directly on top of a base, if it's heavily contended there will be several hundred defenders inside. One squad of MAXes simply isn't going to be much of a threat when they're outnumbered by up to 50:1. A single squad most likely won't have the influence on the battlefield that it did in PS1.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

I can see it now, drop pods rolling off the roofs of buildings
Old 2012-03-13, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

A lib will get the job done.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
A lib will get the job done.
I was thinking ES fighter, but would the base shield get in the way? (Assuming the attackers have not brought it down)

Last edited by Biohazard; 2012-03-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Skepsiis
Corporal

I dont think this will be much of a problem tbh and if somebody pulls this off isnt that a good move on their part?

But possible solutions would be to have:

The SL needs to actively deploy something or activate an ability that takes time to complete and draws attention, like a shaft of light into the sky. This gives defenders a chance to react and stop it before it happens.

Have a cooldown after each individual spawn so it takes a while to deploy a full squad.

Limit locations where it is possible

Limit the types of classes and/or possibly equipment that people spawning can select based on the SL's loadout - as in max units can only spawn on a max SL, or perhaps nobody can come with a heavy assault weapon if the SL is light assault
Old 2012-03-13, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
I was thinking ES fighter, but would the base shield get in the way? (Assuming the attackers have not brought it down)
Defenders using the "exploit" (which is actually not an exploit in any way) will eventually get sniped.
Attackers using the "exploit" will either get down because the fight moves indoors or get bombed/fighter'd.

Don't forget that you can't spawn in through ceilings. I believe that also applies to the base shield.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

The solution to this is really simple. No Drop Pods within a certain range of the base. Exactly as PS1 had it.
Old 2012-03-13, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Atheosim
Captain

You know what is an even easier solution? Make the squad spawning ability a backpack. Can't wear a jetpack and a backpack at the same time can you?
Old 2012-03-13, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
You know what is an even easier solution? Make the squad spawning ability a backpack. Can't wear a jetpack and a backpack at the same time can you?
We have a winner!
Old 2012-03-13, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

I really don't see the problem with allowing squad spawning combined with whatever tools a player gets. However, I have to ask - this is squad leader only spawning, right?

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-13 at 08:15 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion