Vehicle seat-switching - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What does F5 do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-20, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Vehicle seat-switching

Sorry if this has been brought up in one of the other threads, but could be that it was buried under the whole "Holy shit TTK is low"-thing.

But if you watch the Night Ops video at around 01:42 you'll see that the driver in the magrider switches from secondary turret (Gunner) to driverseat without getting out.

IIRC, a lot of people were against that, and I have to admit I don't like that either.

Just wanted to point that out in case people were missing that.

Discuss if you want to.
Old 2012-05-20, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mechzz
Major

Re: Vehicle seat-switching

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up in one of the other threads, but could be that it was buried under the whole "Holy shit TTK is low"-thing.

But if you watch the Night Ops video at around 01:42 you'll see that the driver in the magrider switches from secondary turret (Gunner) to driverseat without getting out.

IIRC, a lot of people were against that, and I have to admit I don't like that either.

Just wanted to point that out in case people were missing that.

Discuss if you want to.
Go Captain! Way to calm the boards down after the shit-storm on the "pads" threads

Seat-swtiching has been revealed by the Devs and yes, the sky fell. It may now fall again

For the record I am happy to be able to hop around inside my tank and other vehicles. And please note how much good it did the guy the other night. He still got C4'd to bits
Old 2012-05-20, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Go Captain! Way to calm the boards down after the shit-storm on the "pads" threads
Haha, yeah that, too.

Seat-swtiching has been revealed by the Devs and yes, the sky fell. It may now fall again
Crap, I had a feeling it was mentioned somewhere.

For the record I am happy to be able to hop around inside my tank and other vehicles. And please note how much good it did the guy the other night. He still got C4'd to bits
Yeah, it ain't really that big a deal, still would've liked if it weren't in.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

If you can't put vehicle enter/exit animations in, at least make locational entrances, to get in vehicle must be at a complete stop, and you must get out to get into a different seat.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
If you can't put vehicle enter/exit animations in, at least make locational entrances, to get in vehicle must be at a complete stop, and you must get out to get into a different seat.
Yes to get out to get into a different seat, No to having to stop to get out.

I think you should be able to "bail" from a ground-vehicle, BUT maybe take damage according to the speed of the vehicle.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Well, he is a sitting duck during it, and you saw the damage flanking and C4 does.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Yeah, no, you don't have to convince me.

I'm perfectly fine if they keep it in, just personal preference I guess.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Yes to get out to get into a different seat, No to having to stop to get out.
You misread. I said complete stop when getting in, not getting out.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Thomas
Corporal

Who's to say that the guy inside just doesn't have to get out of his driver's seat and go into the turret seat while inside the tank but we just don't see it? :P
Old 2012-05-20, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

I was discussing seat switching with a friend of mine. I don't like the idea of an instant switch like in Battlefield, but I like the idea of being able to change seats. There should be a switch delay before you can use the new seat's gun. So if you're a gal gunner or something, it might take 3 seconds or so to switch to another seat, and during that time you couldn't fire guns from either seat.

The time might vary as well, depending on the vehicle. Not sure if the ATVs will be 2 seaters like in Battlefield or 1 seaters like in the original Planetside, but an ATV might be a much quicker switch, one second or so.

It would be just like in a real vehicle, you can switch seats without getting out and running around the side, but it takes some time.

An internal switching feature would be really great, but it would definitely need to be balanced properly so someone doesn't just teleport to a gunner seat and fire for a second or two, then teleporting back to the pilot seat.

Also, it would be good to restrict the pilot or driver from switching to avoid the above situation, or ones like it. Of course, in the case of a pilot, losing control for 3 seconds or more can be fatal
Old 2012-05-20, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Mr DeCastellac View Post
...An internal switching feature would be really great, but it would definitely need to be balanced properly so someone doesn't just teleport to a gunner seat and fire for a second or two, then teleporting back to the pilot seat.

Also, it would be good to restrict the pilot or driver from switching to avoid the above situation, or ones like it. Of course, in the case of a pilot, losing control for 3 seconds or more can be fatal
The magrider gunner who switched to the AA position of his magrider lived for about 10 seconds after switching instantly. Why does that need to be balanced further?

If the pilot wants to flip positions why shouldn't he be allowed to? With the new Physix engine, he won't get a good firing position as his Lib/Gal rolls away to its death.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

The magrider gunner who switched to the AA position of his magrider lived for about 10 seconds after switching instantly. Why does that need to be balanced further?

If the pilot wants to flip positions why shouldn't he be allowed to? With the new Physix engine, he won't get a good firing position as his Lib/Gal rolls away to its death.
You're confusing "balanced" with "nerfed". Balance can go either way.

And the pilot shouldn't be able to switch because, in my opinion, it's unrealistic. If you were flying a real aircraft, you wouldn't get out of the pilot seat and run over to a gunning position. Nobody would be flying the ship.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Toppopia
Major

Just force pilots to be in the pilot seat unless they land, because if you are flying, you chose to be the pilot, why choose a galaxy if you are by yourself? Thats just stupid. You're meant to have teammates who use those guns for you.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
You misread. I said complete stop when getting in, not getting out.
Oh, sorry about that.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Khorneholio
Private

I don't have a problem with seat switching. Heck, even entering and exiting from non-specific points on a vehicle isn't a cardinal sin to me. That being said, what is important to me is that both of these things take time... even if it's only a small amount of time.

When a player wants to enter or exit any vehicle or change vehicle positions bring up a circular indicator much like the one that comes up in the night ops video when he's capping the point. The time needed would be fine tuned in beta, but off the top of my head I'd say 3-5 seconds?

As for timed entering and exiting of vehicles, this would prevent some "tactics" that annoy some of us when playing other popular shooters. For example:

-Vehicle drivers jumping out instantly at the very last second before you land the killing blow, thusly robbing you of your kill credit.

-Drivers jumping out instantly as you're placing an explosive charge on their vehicle, killing you with their personal weapon, and then jumping back in instantly as if nothing ever happened.

It would also be an excellent compromise which allows players to exit a vehicle without stopping but requires the vehicle to be stopped or moving at infantry speed in order for them to enter it.

Delaying changing crew position within a vehicle creates a system that maintains a single driver's flexibility in dealing with different kinds of threats while introducing a time cost which balances out this added flexibility. It also prevents the "one man army" driver who can fire a main gun, instantly switch to the secondary weapon and fire it while he waits for the main gun to reload, and then just as quickly switch back to the main gun and fire again. It would also prevent the ridiculous scenario of a pilot switching to a gunner seat and firing, then taking control of the aircraft once again. Falling out of the sky for 10 seconds while switching seats twice would probably put a damper on that idea.

Just my 3 cents on the issue.

EDIT: My apologies to Mr. Decasellac. Perhaps I'll learn to fully read a thread before I comment. I assure you it was just a case of great minds thinking alike, not plagiarism.

-CDL- Dragonwolves

Last edited by Khorneholio; 2012-05-20 at 03:18 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion