Fast Travel Poll (Thrustpad Poll v.2.0) - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Auraxis Global Network (AGN)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think about fast travel in PS2?
Yes, trustpads ftw! 25 27.78%
Yes, but more conventional FT method. 32 35.56%
No FT at all. 21 23.33%
FT should be disabled when generators are offline. 55 61.11%
FT should be independent of generator status. 2 2.22%
FT should be available between friendly-held points of the base only. 31 34.44%
FT shouldn't be restricted in any way. 11 12.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-20, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Fast Travel Poll (Thrustpad Poll v.2.0)

huh?
The grammar or perspective of what you just said is confusing to me.
How/why would you chase someone on top of a defence if they use a jump-pad? (unless in an aircraft)

TP allows vunerability during movement (this multiplayer not solo, if they jump what stops a friend from finishing the kill?) and visual scouting of the destination.
TP allows instant safe travel with no data if the other side is empty or covered in landmines and giggling defenders (c4 or whatever).
Assuming you are at an even height with a jump-pad then the retreater is a free kill, skeet shoot. (them moving in an arc and aiming backwards, you in a stable position and tighter aiming).

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bags
Lieutenant General

Can we wait till beta?
Old 2012-05-20, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I like the idea of whatever fast travel is there being disable-able. You could use this to disrupt the defense organisation, and would be a good strategic goal to claim back.

Not sure about jump pads though. It's a bit too Unreal Tournament for me - it doesn't seem realistic to me in the sense that base travel technology would naturally progress to it. Seems like the easy way out of a design problem rather than the best way out.

- Subway cars with turrets to prevent camping on arrival?
- Leaving a drivable corridor around and letting people spawn sundys to ferry troops around the base?
- Monorails with multiple carriages to reduce exit chokes?

There are plenty of design choices that could be made which would add to game play, rather than hurling people through the air for no reason.

Old 2012-05-20, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by IMMentat View Post
huh?
The grammar or perspective of what you just said is confusing to me.

TP allows vunerability during movement (this multiplayer not solo, if they jump what stops a friend from finishing the kill?) and visual scouting of the destination, TP allows instant safe travel with no data if the other side is empty or covered in landmines and giggling defenders (c4 or whatever).
I operate under the assumption that teleport pads will only work if your empire holds the territory in which it is located. If you don't, you won't be able to teleport there anyway. And if enemies sneak in and camp the other side of the teleport pad without capturing the flag on that side of the base, well, that's completely valid. However, there's no reason why they couldn't use a teleport system that lets you see the other side(ie, Portal guns).

And as I say, if a jump pad abuser is about to die, so what if a friend finishes the kill? He had nothing to lose by giving the jump pad a try, worst case scenario, he dies anyway, but he gains a chance to survive. And if you jump after him, he will have landed first and be prepared to shoot you. I assume that jump pads will function even if your empire does not own the area of the base into which you are jumping.

Don't misunderstand - I don't want teleport pads OR jump pads. But teleport pads are less destructive to the game flow than jump pads.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
LancerNC
Private

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Faceplam. Read again what you wrote. TP are a form of FT. Also read my opening post (especially p.s. part).
Let me try and explain myself a little better, I was responding to your claim below

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
The results so far confirm my suspicions. People have actually been supporting FT around base and less the actual TP execution.
Originally Posted by LancerNC View Post
the only form of Fast Travel (FT) I like is thrustpads.
Does that make more sense now? I support Fast Travel (FT), but I DO NOT like the idea of teleporters or some of the other proposed substitutes to thrustpads.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

A lot of the arguments I see against TP are based solely on wanting to travel around these big bases in a safe manner. To me it seems that the devs do not want you to have unlimited safe travel within the confines of these mega bases.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ohaunlaim View Post
Moving sidewalks on the walls between towers, where FT may occur in the midst of a battle instead of over it, would be my suggestion. Closer to a zipline than thrust pads.
Yes, this is what I'd prefer as well. We already have moving walkways in airports. Ziplines are one of the few things I actually liked about the Caves in PS1.

IMO Jump pads seem to arcadey to me, and from a lore/role-playing standpoint I find it hard to believe jump pads would be the technology they'd use to move from point to point. The brief usage we saw in TB's vid showed us they were dangerous and imprecise. In fact in one of the jumps TB made he actually had to use his jump pack to even make it to the other side.

Ziplines just seem more sensible, reliable, and tactically smart.

That said, I do like the idea of being able to knock one out by taking out a generator.
Old 2012-05-20, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by LancerNC View Post
Let me try and explain myself a little better, I was responding to your claim below

Does that make more sense now? I support Fast Travel (FT), but I DO NOT like the idea of teleporters or some of the other proposed substitutes to thrustpads.
No you're not any clearer, you can like TPs that's fine however you can still still vote if you want TPs disabled when gens are offline and if you want TPs to be able to take you to enemy-held parts of the base (just read the opening post carefully). The term FT is broader - it includes TP and alternatives, comprende? I faced-palmed your claim that poll is biased towards FT what makes no sense at all. I can see however that too many people don't read or even bother to know what they're voting about exactly before doing it since 10 of them didn't select any of the first 3 options. That's nothing new however it's still disappointing.

Also that claim I made before still stands just look at the poll (first 3 options) and compare them to previous TP poll results. If we further analyze result we can see that most people support fast travel (12+20)/42 what makes 76% of the total votes however at the same time most people actually don't support TP as a way of making FT happen 20/32 what makes 60%. I could go even further and presume that most who voted against FT would be more prone to more conventional FT methods (I think I wouldn't make a big mistake there, since some of them explicitly said so) what would lead us to the conclusion that actually (20+10)/42 what makes 71% of people who voted dislikes idea of thrustpads.

Maybe the result will change when more people vote but so far they are as they are and I believe they shine some new light to the matter and prevent from getting the false impression that previous poll could give you.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-05-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Kipper
Captain

I'm not really a fan of the jump pads we saw in the TB video. They look like something that would seriously happen in a facility to enable people to get around. In a world where people despawn and respawn, why would they just not do that? And what next? Vehicle jump pads to cross canyons? (please, no)

I'd prefer to see the vertical ones replaced by lifts; if the lift has a default position that it always goes back to, then it's hard to abuse it being "one way".

As for the point to point pads - I would rather see base design that incorporates bridges or tunnels with moving walkways (airport style) to facilitate quick movement, if it's to be there at all.

Aside from not being believable, it makes light assault jump ability less valuable IMO.
Old 2012-05-20, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I'm not really a fan of the jump pads we saw in the TB video. They look like something that would seriously happen in a facility to enable people to get around. In a world where people despawn and respawn, why would they just not do that? And what next? Vehicle jump pads to cross canyons? (please, no)

I'd prefer to see the vertical ones replaced by lifts; if the lift has a default position that it always goes back to, then it's hard to abuse it being "one way".

As for the point to point pads - I would rather see base design that incorporates bridges or tunnels with moving walkways (airport style) to facilitate quick movement, if it's to be there at all.

Aside from not being believable, it makes light assault jump ability less valuable IMO.
You realize these are only on the walls of bases and jump you to a certain point right? It doesn't even begin to approach the versatility of light assault.

And sorry to break it to you, but there are supposedly ramps for ATVs to jump off, over canyons and all.
Old 2012-05-20, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

From other thread:

Originally Posted by OcO View Post
I have been lurking on these boards for quite some time now. These jump pads however are absolutely horrible though and have finally made me wanna register to voice my opinion.

The vertical "gravity well" elevators are bad enough but whatever I guess these would be less strain since they are not actual moving elevators.

The jump pads though are just awful and I seriously hope they remove them. Base defenders already have the re-spawn advantage when trying to hold off an attacking force. Giving them almost instant travel to most any part of the base is to much. If this was a 12v12 or 32v32 game then sure I could maybe see the need for this kind of a feature with the bases the size they are. But we're talking about 100, 200, 300+ people all being able to move to the far side of a base in seconds.

This is imo the definition of "dumbing down" a game. It removes part of the tactical aspects and promotes zerging. A force attacks from the north side of a base and the defenders all go there to engage them. But wait what it was only a small feint by the enemy commander to pull the defenders away from the south perimeter of the base where the main bulk of the attack force has been sneaking around to attack from? No problem the full defending force is able to quick jump to the south perimeter in just seconds after overwhelming the north side rouse force. Attackers have most always needed a larger force due to defenders being within a fortified area and that is how it should be. Now however the attacking force is gonna have to be exponentially larger than the defenders cause the defenders are able to respond to any threat from any direction with their full force within moments.
Couldn't agree more. Planetside's gameplay set it apart because it fostered cooperation, communication, planning and tactical deployment. Having jump pads is just going to increase the scope of the zerg cloud, within which the elements listed above would largely become irrelevant (at least to what it would be otherwise).

I want to say that I am really looking forward to playing a game which is plainly shaping up to be a well put together game (even with a lot of work to go), and I appreciate the dedication of the devs...I can see why the devs have the jump pads in the game at the moment...With low player density, you're just wasting your time in a playtest running from place to place, but does anyone honestly think jump pads would be nessisary when you have say, 300 people defending a base? Having stategically placed spawn points will already be more than enough to deal with any issue about defensive adjustments I think.

When you have hundreds of guys defending a base, it seems to me you'll have dozens of guys in the air at any given moment, which is well beyond 'silly'...people defend this idea saying that it's 'science fiction' so you shouldn't have a hard time accepting something that's not 'realistic'...Sorry; but science fiction isn't about suspending judgement, it's about being imaginative, and I hate to tell you jump pads ain't it. As I mentioned above, PS was set apart for integrating smart gameplay (on top of the scale), which is why it's probably my favourite game of all time. Jump pads definitely send the gameplay in the direction quake three arena, which is pretty much a lobotomised shooter IMO Sorry kids!

Anyways in conclusion I doubt they'l be needed at all, and if for some reason faster transport is needed, lets think of something more cool/creative/thought out than 'man cannons'. Peace.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Dir
Private

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Kinda like those shots they repeated over and over and over again on the Galactica of a squad full of viper pilots being shuttled down a fast tunnel to their launch tubes? Now that I could watch over and over again...but this? Glowing pads with arrows? I would even prefer an elevator with a dirty carpet full of chewing gum while the girl from ipanema plays...anything but this....people seriously need to up their dosage of Ritalin.

These pads look utterly ridiculous...I can't even imagine seeing anything like this in a movie that would work in this game's context outside of a child's cartoon. The closest I've come to even liking circus cannons was the APC that launched people up to the Titans in 2142. Now that was really well done and looked completely natural and even made it into the game's opening trailer....this is just really really weak...complete lack of imagination taken directly from other games...but at least they are consistent. I also doubt these jump pads will be featured in Planetside 2's trailer. It almost seems they were so busy building these enormous bases they left the transportation part to the last and the quick fix is in!

This mechanism once it's in...it's in...and from the looks of it I believe it's in. I just wish they had asked us....I have a feeling the conversations going on right now would be completely different. Now a router...that took time and effort and we didn't need help putting those bad boys to work in all sorts of twisted ways. It was a support role a person could really occupy themselves with. Jumping around like circus clowns with machine guns boomeranging our bodies all over the place just doesn't seem like Planetside to me anymore.

Dir
Old 2012-05-20, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

^What he said!

Now that I could watch over and over again...but this? Glowing pads with arrows? I would even prefer an elevator with a dirty carpet full of chewing gum while the girl from ipanema plays...anything but this....people seriously need to up their dosage of Ritalin.

Touche!
Old 2012-05-20, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Furber
First Sergeant

Well thought out poll options, that seems sorta rare these days

I'm fine with the idea of the thrust pads, the PS2 devs have said for a while that they want to make the game more fast paced than planetside1, this is a way to do that.
Old 2012-05-21, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
No fast travel at all outside of warpgates.

After seeing jump pads now I'm afraid they will have acceleration pads on the ground on roads/travel lanes out in the field between bases...let's hope not!
.....and the possibility of that actually happen in the future?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion