PlayStation 4 to "be a great platform for MMOs." - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Terran Components, Vanu Components, All made in Taiwan!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-03, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlayStation 4 to "be a great platform for MMOs."

Not really PlanetSide 2 News per say but worth discussion. This coupled with Smed's cryptic Tweets a few months back.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06...-platform-for/

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-03, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: PlayStation 4 to "be a great platform for MMOs."

They probably are going to be looking into putting PS2 on the PS4. Would be a good console exclusive.
IF they do then I just hope... Nay demand, that they do not forget about the PC version and just focus on the console version. Seen this happen too many times in the past to not be worried about the prospect.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-03, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

If they did put PS2 on the PS4 I wouldn't see why they couldn't develop things that work on both platforms. They probably already thought about this when they built the ForgeLight engine. I would think that technically, they would have to separate the platforms from each other though. I would be amazed if they could do cross-platform play with PS2!
Old 2013-06-03, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bjorntju1
Captain

Would be really cool if they are going to put PS2 on the PS4 (heh) I understand that some people won't like it because it takes away developement from the PC version. But don't forget that if it is released on the PS4, more people are going to play it, with means more money, and they can use that money to put more people to develop Planetside 2 further. And since the PS4 is really similar to an PC, I doubt it is hard to port the game over. I actually won't be surprised if Smedly comes on stage at the Sony press conference. Would be a really cool and unique launch title for the PS4!
Old 2013-06-03, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
AThreatToYou
Major

Unless the PS4 supports DirectX, there's basically nil chance of seeing PlanetSide 2 available on the console.
Old 2013-06-03, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Since E3 is just around the corner and SOE Live a couple months after, I wonder if we'll get any sort of announcement from SOE regarding PS4 targeted titles? Or we might even hear something from E3 about it.

Last edited by Calista; 2013-06-03 at 06:26 PM.
Old 2013-06-03, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

We will most certainly see what exclusive titles they have up their sleeve, who knows if we might hear something about PS2 or another SOE MMO for the PS4. I can certainly see the recent mentions of MMOs for the PS4 as being an indicative of that.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-03, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
camycamera
Major

not ps2 news, bring out the ban hamma- oh wait.
Old 2013-06-03, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Narrack
Private

well as the ps4 is basically just a standardized pc now unlike the ps3 it should be easy for content to the ported back and forth between versions if they do release it on ps4

Infact it may even be good for us because Amd chips run slower than Intel chips so they will have to get the engine to run properly across multiple cores to port it to the ps4 meaning that should work its way to the PC version
Old 2013-06-03, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Unless the PS4 supports DirectX, there's basically nil chance of seeing PlanetSide 2 available on the console.
Isn't Planetside DirectX9?

I heard people complaining about that and saying Planetside needs to update and this the reason why the game runs so bad....Not sure if it is true.

As for the gaming coming for PS4...that will be interesting, I would play if the PS4 supports keyboard and mouse.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2013-06-03 at 07:25 PM.
Old 2013-06-03, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sunrock
Major

As long as console games don't have a full size keyboard they never going to be a good platform for MMOs. Because you need to be able to type messages really fast and no other device can beat a full size keyboard not even a laptop keyboard thats tiny as hell.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-06-03 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2013-06-03, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Isn't Planetside DirectX9?

I heard people complaining about that and saying Planetside needs to update and this the reason why the game runs so bad....Not sure if it is true.

As for the gaming coming for PS4...that will be interesting, I would play if the PS4 supports keyboard and mouse.
the issue isn't the date or operation of the DirectX runtime. the issue is direct software support for PlanetSide 2. Forgelight was built for DirectX and it simply will not play if the system does not support DirectX.

And if you talk about changing PS2 from DirectX to OpenGL, or some other renderer, that is gobs of work that I do not think SOE has the money for. They did not bother using a more up-to-date version of DirectX because of hardware compatibility. For PlanetSide 2, this was a silly move. For other SOE games, like EverQuest Next, using DX9 will be a massive boon to the inclusiveness required out of MMORPGs.

As for what this meant about how the game runs, PS2 is soft on the video, and hard on the processor due to poor multithreading. I'm not sure how much DirectX is related to how many cores a game will use.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-06-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 2013-06-03, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Wybie
Private

ps4 will come come installed on the ps4 on release, I guarantee it! I see no reason for it not to be. There using the much smaller pc audience as a "beta" test for it. This isn't really your typical mmo that needs full kbmod support, some one could easily use the controller.

Cryptic tweets lol, ps2 will be on the ps4 on release
Old 2013-06-03, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

They didn't say that therefore Smeds tweets were cryptic.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-03, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I would love to have PS2 on PS4. I think they should try to get cross platform play going. Make it so the console players can jump onto PC servers (perhaps not visa-versa). I hope they would go the route of Dust 514 and integrate keyboard and mouse support (except while still having my arrow cursor. You could even have a option to have the PC menus). I would love to get the console FPS players involved. That really is a massive market for shooters with millions of COD, Battlefield, and Halo players ready to be set free from a prison they don't even know they're in (quote from a CCP dev on Dust 514).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion