Squad composition - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Death is not only the beginning, A repawn is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-10-31, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Squad composition

How do you guys see squads being built?

I can see two very different possibilites... and we'll probably end up seeing both

1) Balance: A group tries to contain a group that can handle most situations. A medic, an engineer, a couple pilots/drivers, a MAX or two, that sort of thing.

This would work best when a squad is operating independantly, say when they're off trying to take a base.

2) Specialized. A squad of 10 heavies, or engineers, or pilots, or whatever. Kick @$$ in one particular way.

I see this happening when multiple squads are working together. To get back to the MAXes, I could easily see a squad of heavies waiting in orbit as a reserve force, dropping down on a friendly base when it is being attacked... crushing said attack, and returning to orbit, ready to go for the next base in need.

Such a force could do one job Extremely Well, like air superiority, prepping base defenses (turrets and mines), repel base attacks (those MAXes ought to do the trick), that sort of thing.

So what kind of squad groupings do you guys see for various tasks?
Old 2002-11-02, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I almost missed this thread with all the Beta news going on....

I think you'll see some of the larger outfits try to be more specialized like you mentioned, but I think the majority of the time it will be smaller groups made up of several diffrent types of players.

Another thing that just occured to me is that it would be hard to orgonise an outfit to go and fight every single night. I wonder how hard it would be for a small out fit of say 5 guys, to link up with a larger outfit to go out on raids.

I can't expect everyone in my Outfit to be on all the time, but I'll still want to go with a group of people when I'm "Pubbing"

INteresting questions.
Old 2002-11-02, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

The key to any operation is the correct application of available assets to the task at hand and the demands thereof.

But most teams would need a few standard members to be successful.

I see most teams as having at least on medic, one engineer and 2 or more basic riflemen. If available, a heavy weapons troop or two would be icing. That would be minimum to accomplish any task.

Depending on the objective, you would throw in whatever enhanced forces you can get to make the job easier.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2002-11-04, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

"pubbing"

I'm hoping that mission definitions will include some sorts of minimums on what is needed to qualify for various positions within that mission.

So SOMEBODY will have a medic cert, and SOMEBODY will be able to fly the dropship...

It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out.

(fingers still crossed for the beta)
Old 2002-11-04, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
snipe
Corporal

this is what i think it will be like:

1. You click on the mission terminal.

2. You select the type of mission(outfit, temporary squad, lone wolf)

3. tells you of the different missions there are. you click on one.

4. If it is a temporary squad, then there will be different jobs that you can select (medic, assult, commander). You click on one that appeals to you. It tells you where to meet and when the mission is. There will also be some kind of chat or something. The commander will have the choice of accepting you or not.

5. if you choose outfit, then if you are in the outfit as the commander, you can apply. the commander can accept if you or not. If it is a new mission, then you can choose to be the commander of the squad.

Does this make sense?
Old 2002-11-05, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Are you basing all that on anything in particular? I'd just LOVE to have that kind of info.
Old 2002-11-05, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
snipe
Corporal

no, i made it all up based on the info we have now though
Old 2002-11-05, 06:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

snipe often posts like that followed by "Where did you get that information"

snipe

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-05, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

One of the coolest things i think we will see are major battles

Think: 2 outfits from Venu used teamwork and about ~ 250 trrops on one night to capture a almost totaly New conglomorate contonent, of course a few other outfits had men there to, a total force of say 400 venu. 200 stay to guard the captured bases but the other 200 roam around killin all the Cherrys they see, so the cerrys get three powerfull outfits who all have a good deal of members on and get 310 men togeather to go kick some ass, and a titantic battle ensues, 500 or so men in it, that would be sooooo |337. the venu would win cause cherrys suck but would be kick asss no? i know such major battles will be rare but still i look forward to them. Some questions about such bttles:
1) with so much lead and plasma flying about would the batytles take time (say 30 mins) or would it be almost everyone cut down in a hail of gunfire in the first 2 mins of the battle anda few tanks and reavers still around (and a max suit or two) after the carnage?

2)Does anyone think the game will be a bit laggy in such a conflict, you know you click fire and 30 secs laterr and 1 frame, everyones dead, including theyself? or do you think they made ways for such large battles to occure with little lag?

3) Could such battles say with even 1000 men (organized by the diff outfits on the message board, like a once a month titantic slug fest) last hours with real tactics like moving your armored commpony to their flank and then charging the center with your Max's to break em up or something, you know not just a charge and fire, see who's left kinda battle

more quetions later
Old 2002-11-05, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

1.) One would hope they take time, id hate to have huge battles be over in 1 min

2.) They have been working on this game for 2 years and tweaking the net code, so hopefully the lag wont be too bad heh.

3.) that would be cool, who knows tho

Old 2002-11-05, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

it would be more then cool it would be...... uber.......leetness
yep
this game is going to be pretty kick arse me thinks
Old 2002-11-05, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
TurkishGold
Private

Id think of these battles as like counter-strike.. where if you get a headshot thats pretty much it for the enemy that type of thing heh..
Old 2002-11-05, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Wowbagger
Private

Im from the UTworld with 16-20 players and im a bit skeptical about these huge numbers. (in clanwars 10 players)

Will it be like Quake or UT but with 500-1000 players or is there a difference to make it possible?

I dont think they can do magic so maybe they have changed some of the ways you can fight?

Also is there any comparable game out there atm?

Last edited by Wowbagger; 2002-11-05 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2002-11-05, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tolvy
Sergeant Major

I doubt it will be one headshot kills. If it was, the helmets are kinda useless
Old 2002-11-05, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

There is no comparable game, but they have worked on the netcode and system for 2 years..

As for headshot kills, this is correct.. there will be no one headshot kills as far as i know

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion