A refreshing idea for a mech - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We make learning fun
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-10-30, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sivion
Private

A refreshing idea for a mech

I understand all of the worries that people have about mechs in planetside 2 so how about this.
Why not have a mech shaped like a leopard but roughly the size of a 4x4. Make it fast with great maneuverability but light armor. Stick a big powerful gun on top of it with a machine gun for a tail. Make the big guns reload time slow. Also in order for you to use the gun you must brace and make it that your movement in aiming is limited. This would mean in order to fight slower tanks you must either out maneuver them and have player 2 on the back with the machine gun whittle them down. Or you must be almost facing them...braced...aimed and fired before they hit you with firepower. Flying vehicles the same strategy but obviously need a bit more distance to use your cannon. Against the prowler the same strategy as a tank etc. It's not overpowered nor useless. I have plenty more ideas that don't necessarily fall into animalistic category's. Let me know what you think.
Old 2013-10-30, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
HelpLuperza
Corporal

Re: A refreshing idea for a mech

So... Like this?

http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/BattleAr...nfo.asp?ID=175
Old 2013-10-30, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I kind of had the same idea but,
Quick and omni-directional but only as fast as a vanguard
Armored a little heavier than a lightning
Dedicated driver
Two independent gunners, comparable to a sunderer guns

I think it should look similar to a spider
Old 2013-10-30, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sivion
Private

Lol that's absolutely brilliant. Yes like that. Just out of curiosity what would yousthink if that was in the game and balanced?
Old 2013-10-30, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Reminds me of TA's Fido, armed with a Gauss weapon I believe. The ARM could be considered similar to NC on certain philiosphies.

I don't think animal-like weapon platforms are very Planetside, that being said the one described here could offer some interesting gameplay. However the role has some overlap with the Harasser, too.
Old 2013-10-30, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Honestly, 3-4 man BFRs with a ludicrously high resource cost would be a good thing to slip in to a Super-heavy tank roll above the MBT. Make it a heavy weapons platform with no direct fire weaponry (Direct fire=HE or AP round, tank cannons). Make it something that possesses more situational weaponry. That way the MBTs can Hunt the superheavies, which become some kind of mobile forward base that fills some of the rolls we have been wanting, say for example ARTILLERY, or a heavier AA battery that specializes in targeting the more hardened Galaxy or Lib, but is totally ineffective against ESFs, because of ESF speed.
Old 2013-10-30, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
AppleJax
Private

so pretty much like a medium tank. i guess the mechs could be used as each sides medium tank.
Old 2013-10-30, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sivion
Private

I am a mech fan so don't get me wrong when I say that I fear there are too many people against the idea of there being a mech in the game. I think your ideas are great and personally I wouldn't want a mech in the game unless it was properly balanced. I merely made a compromise so as to appeal to the people out there that were left with a bitter taste from planetside 1's mechs. It can work though.
Old 2013-10-30, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

I'd rather just have a really dumbed down NS-BFR with no shields, no jump jets, very costly to spawn and a 3 man crew (driver and 2 gunners)

We have a hundred diff AV weapons and BFR's don't exactly have a small profile like the current Tanks, Why is this a problem to add?

PS2 is a Sci-Fi shooter set in the year 2845, we have Nanites, Hover-Jets, MAX units and Magriders, why don't we have giant robots?

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-10-30 at 04:38 PM.
Old 2013-10-30, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Obstruction
First Sergeant

Why is this a problem to add?
as i best understand the entirety of the debate, it's because RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Last edited by Obstruction; 2013-10-30 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2013-10-30, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sivion
Private

Agreed. I too feel that whilst the vehicles in this game are fantastic, they are still lacking in futuristic-enough technology. And yes RAAAAAAAAAGE..

On another point, what other imaginitive vehicle can we fathom? Surely not JUST a mech???
Old 2013-10-30, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Here is an idea - NO F-ING MECHS!!!!!
Old 2013-10-30, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Or how 'bout, add mechs.

The games set in 2845 not 1996.
Old 2013-10-30, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Locke
Private

I think it would be fine as long as it's controlled by the resource system or a very long cool down so they cant be spawned endlessly. PS2 is a very different game to PS1 in terms of counters to a tough mechanized walker.

Last edited by Locke; 2013-10-30 at 06:55 PM.
Old 2013-10-30, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Phrygen
Corporal

While mechs would be wonderful on some level, and part of me would like to have one, the reality is they would be awful for planetside 2.

This game already suffers heavily from organized, experienced and skilled teams completely shitstomping inexperienced low BR players who barely have the certs or resources to compete, let alone the skill. Adding mechs would just exacerbate the problem.

It also makes no sense to make walking mechs that are weaker than tanks. We already have MBTs and harassers. If anything, revamping the lighting would go a long way.

Point is, mechs will just make the state of the game for the majority of players worse.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion