BFRs - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma made me do it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-18, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Hezzy
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Meursault00
I can imagine someone getting stepped on and then the BFR falling over.
Old 2004-07-18, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Mephiston
Private

I personally just dont like the idea
They seem too large and unless teh pictures and descriptions in the article are over exagerated i think it would spoil the game....
there just too big and i personally feel the potential to greif i just too great for one person to wield ( that is if there guns can take out courtyards of people at a time)
they would also break up those fun running skirmishes or battles and could send one side reeling onto the defensive.
A.K.A this would suck
Old 2004-07-18, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

The VS one seems to be the height of a watch tower, that's not that big. Since the VS one is the only one upright, the others must be shorter.

BFRs are like the heavy assault tanks that are designed to take on enemy heavy vehicles. They are still vulnerable to infantry fire (as the article states) and because of their size, they would be limited to paved roads, and places where the terrain isn't too demanding. With that, they would be vulnerable to mines and such. Forests would also be untraversable by these lumbering giants.

I'm curious about the handling of the BFRs, will they handle like a tank? Or maybe an even less maneuverable tank. Can't wait to try them out in VR.

Perhaps these BFRs are coming along with the new bases we've been hinted at.

Like I asked, BFRs alone won't attract the masses to Planetside, it must be a combination of new things. *crosses fingers for Space Combat*

I don't know about you, but I didn't buy the game for its realism. I bought it because it would be a new experience for me, this is just part of the deal I get. I don't know any first person shooter that has included mechs.

My only concern is that Planetside tries to be so many things, a first person shooter, a combat flight simulator, a tank commander, and now a MechWarrior copy, that the game will have a bit of everything, but will not be proficient in any of them. Sort of like ocket PCs. THey can do a wide variety of things, but they can't do them well. Oh, or like cell phones.

Last edited by Meursault00; 2004-07-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2004-07-18, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
kcirreda
Corporal

Thumbs up good armor support!

with a slight ammount of team work it would be a back bone of any armor column.

1 Sky guard (allways in a good column)
2-4 Lightnings 2 provide AI support.
1 Mech 2 finish it off 2 provide any AV U will need.

Well, thats TR tactics. U NC and VS try 2 come up with sumin, but it might be about the same

Anyway, I wouldnt judge them till they get in testing.

Oh wait a SEC!! can the strafe?? just imagine lil shorty TR mech strafing! oh goody goody!
Old 2004-07-18, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

If you go against a zerg though, the lightnings will be destroyed (cause a lot of people have AV), with the lightings dead, the Skygaurd wouldn't have enough protection so they would be destroyed too, then the zerg would destroy the shield generator on the mech's back, leaving it vulnerable to air and heavy ground assaults.

You will still need the infantry to support your armor cause infantry are the best anti-infantry units. Snipers to pick off enemy snipers and AV users. HA and SA against HA and SA. Blah blah blah blah blah, you get the picture.
Old 2004-07-18, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

My TR character on markov will have to hide in underground bunkers because of the 666th's onslaught with these new mechs.....

For who knows how long.....blargh!
Old 2004-07-18, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Look on the bright side, it's new content and it's something that people (not myself) have wanted.

Other than that, we gotta wait for more details to make accusations about balance problems or the like. And don't start with the "fs the devs suck at balancing" bull
Old 2004-07-18, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Their just promising a pipe dream in a horrible attempt to drum up media attention.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-07-18, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by Doppler
Their just promising a pipe dream in a horrible attempt to drum up media attention.
Actually they never promised this at all, it was a top secret project already in development for some time whose info was released sooner than they planned. This doesn't sound like an 'attempt' or even a scramble for new content, it was already in the works.

Old 2004-07-18, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

I second that, oh by the way it's They're
Old 2004-07-18, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think they look cool. just a question, how will they get into courtyard. still.
Old 2004-07-18, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
EarlyDawn
Major General

I was wondering that myself. Along with how you'll get in and out, and if you even can without heading to their gantry or whatever.

I'd be willing to bet that they can't enter courtyards. The customization thing sounds rediclious.
Old 2004-07-18, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
mechaman
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by JetRaiden
I think they look cool. just a question, how will they get into courtyard. still.
A. they won't be able to
or
B. they are redesigning bases
Old 2004-07-18, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
F!LTER
Private

Sounds like fun. And for you that automatically assume that these will be uber powerful and the be-all and end-all of combat, i ask you:

Where do you get this?

From this BS news article spoof in this gaming magazine?

The only real information contained within the article is that the BFR's have shields vulnerable mainly to small arms fire and that they will be customizable. From this we can assume that they will be able to fill a variety of roles but ultimately will fear the random grunt that manages to sneak his way behind you (*grin*). So most likely these will be uber tank hunters and the like that require support to not get their ass handed to them.

Which begs the question; what role will these BFR's play? most likely they will be part of the almighty zerg where they can actually get enough ground cover to not get butt raped.

The weaponry however will be a big factor in the balance issues. If AI weaponry is too effective then yes balance may be an issue but if limited to main weapons that lock onto only vehicles and weapons similar to the VS lancer then i could easily see one of these shredding a tank then running from a squad of grunts if unsupported (double *grin*).

Change is good. Change is fun. How many of us would still be playing counter-strike without the WC3 mod. And who doesnt want to be that one random grunt .
Old 2004-07-18, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
EarlyDawn
Major General

Mixed feelings.

I think this would be really cool, assuming they got the balance right, which I think they will because it's such a huge undertaking and is a huge magnet for criticism.

That said, I would have prefered to see Idealab-esq stuff go in first. I don't want more, I want deeper.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion