Voice-Chat, a pleasant surprise - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes, we ARE too sexy for you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of voice-chat?
I love it and use it all the time 34 75.56%
I love it but my outfit doesn't use it enough 2 4.44%
I like the idea, and am willing to try it 2 4.44%
I dislike the idea, and don't want to try it 1 2.22%
I hate it, it's definitely not for me 3 6.67%
I will use it when PlanetSide's built-in chat works 2 4.44%
I have a hearing/speech disorder, so it's impractical 1 2.22%
I'm too afraid to try it, almost phobic 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-11-21, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Voice-Chat, a pleasant surprise

I used to really avoid voice-chat because I thought I would sound stupid, or say the wrong things, or generally make an ass of myself, but once I actually set up the microphone and tried it, I discovered that after about five minutes, the fear totally evaporates and everyone has a great time. People are generally very friendly on voice-chat, and there's no doubt that it's easier to speak a sentence than to try to type it in the heat of combat.

I use TeamSpeak, which is freeware, but there are many others. Check with your outfit to see which one you use, or if you don't, show initiative and set up a voice-chat server. You can get some pretty amazing things done with teamwork, and voice-chat is the best way to facilitate it.

If you're new to voice-chat, set a button to press when you want to talk. This will keep you from broadcasting breathing sounds, which some microphones pick up more than others, and also prevents you from accidentally broadcasting "OH COME HERE MR. FLUFFY PANTS KITTY OH SMOOCHY SMOOCHY WHO'S THE CUTEST LITTLE KITTY.. oh shit is this thing on? <gales of laughter from team-mates>".

Also, what's up with PlanetSide's built-in chat? It sucks! Nobody praises it, and it doesn't seem to work too well. This is one of the features that I bought the game for, and while I'm not angry about it not working well, I think that if they did get it working, it would be brilliant and make for big-time bragging rights for the devs.

I'll make this into a poll to see what people think of voice-chat.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-21, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Acaila
First Lieutenant

I have used it in every game I have ever played in an organized sense. I would never join a clan/outfit/squad/guild/other that didn't use it. The advantages and the sheer enjoyment of it is great.
Old 2003-11-21, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Flammey
Lieutenant Colonel

I used Team Speak 2. Don't leave Sanctuary without it. Incidently, my talk key is Caps lock. Easy to reach. However, annoying when you do have to type something, and you forget to check if caps is off. Ah, what ever, right? I started with Roger Wilco in Medal of Honor: AA days, then switched to TS2 a few months after, as TS2 was way better. I tried PS's in-game chat, and it sucks balls. Incidently, the majpr difference between Roger Wilco and Team Speak 2 is that RW is hosted on your computer, and TS2 is hosted by a server. Both are public, and CAN be made on private servers, and can also be made private on the public servers with passwords.

I recommend TS2 or Ventrillo (Which I've heard is pretty good too. only I already have one voice chat that works well. Don't need another.)
Old 2003-11-21, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zompton
Corporal

I use to always use PS chat. Most people complained about problems that i never had.

I agree, chat is a must in PS. It will bring team work up a lot and you will do way better. Once my PC is done and i re-join PS the outfit i join MUST use TS2 or some chat system. If any outfits are looking for an experienced future recruit, after my long awaited return to PS, hit me up.
PC in the Works; Pentium4 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB, Albatron PX865PE Pro2 motherboard (OC king), 1536mb(1-1/2ghz) Corsair TWINX XMS3200 DDR400mhz Dual Channel RAM, Radeon 9600pro 128mb 8xAGP graphics card, Duel 80ghz 7200rpm 8mb harddrives, Windows XP Professional, 19" Sony GS420 monitor with 1600x1200@85hz resolution, 5.1 surroundsound system, and more...
Old 2003-11-21, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Reload
Private

I always use TS. Our outfit has it's own dedicated server, with mulitple channels
Old 2003-11-21, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

The day they let me use the in-game TS to connect to my outfits TS server is the day I use the in-game TS.
Old 2003-11-21, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

is the person with the speech disorder squeeky? mr. lisp. :heh:

Old 2003-11-21, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Reload
I always use TS. Our outfit has it's own dedicated server, with mulitple channels

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-11-21, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

The Dragon Wolves have their own TS2 server as well. We are actually involved in lots of different games and we have channels set for each active game we are playing. Somtimes you can log in and see up to 30-40 people playing different games with each other. TS2 is a fantastic way of communication real time.

I usually record from it as well when we are doing Ops in PlanetSide. I take the recordings and clean them up, snip out dead air and then convert them into a better format. When you go back to listen to the recordings, it makes for a nice little walk down nostalgia lane. (These recordings are stored in our CDL historical archives.)

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2003-11-21, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Reload
Same.

We use to use RogerWilco until TeamStream(TeamSound) was released and then TeamSpeak2 has been our main use since its release. We have tried Ventrilo as a group and still prefer TS2. We also have tried Tribes 2 and PlanetSide integrated voice systems, they are not flexible enough.

Like CDL, we also record and store our matches.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2003-11-21, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
delta
First Sergeant

The Black Hawks have a TeamSpeak 2.0 Server running, it's required for all memebers. It's vital to our operations, the combat we absorb ourselves in moves too quickly to distribute commands, etc, over an in-game text system.

Rawr! I'm a tiger! I'm also fluffy but I have big teeth!
Old 2003-11-21, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Strak
Corporal

We as well use TS2. We tried Ventrillo, which I thought was far superior, but put more strain on some peoples machines so it was dumped in favor of TS. We also run a server for our members.

Our members are required to atleast be on TS, even if they don't have a mic.

Voice has made this game much more enjoyable, especilly, as someone mentioned in a post about prowlers, when your co-orridinating between drivers and gunners.

Out of curiosity what do you guys do to prevent a million people talking at the exact same time?
Old 2003-11-21, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I am totally in the minority here but I cant stand it. It ruins the immersion of the game for me. What I do is I hook up to my outfit Ventrilo server but do not talk and turn the Ventrilo volume low. That way I can catch things that are important but try to offset how it ruins the planetside environment for me. Frankly I just cant stand how dorky everyone sounds and it feels like I am talking on the phone. I hate talking on the phone in RL and only use my Cell for emergencies and only talk for a short period of time.

Out of curiosity what do you guys do to prevent a million people talking at the exact same time?
That is actually one of the things I hate the most about it. Like a totally out of control meeting at work
Old 2003-11-21, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

i used to hate it, then when i joined ios and used it i love it now.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-21, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jagd
Major

The only annoying thing is the 14 year olds.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion