Tips for Reaver Flying??? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please turn off all cellphones before entering forums.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-26, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Cirkusphreak
Contributor
Corporal

Couple ideas for reaver piloting. These are just opinions so, take em for what they're worth, just opinions.

--Learn your weapon systems. VR is the best place for this. I recommend targeting the warp pedestals because when you hit them, you're not given the 'friendly hit' warning, so bomb away. Practice your runs on these, try different speeds of approach and distances to begin dropping payloads.

--Learn the Anti-Vehic damage that other empires are capable of. This would mean doing a lil research on another server. Go to VR on a different server as a different empire and experiment with their weapons. This way you'll learn how much damage per weap and the differing weaps strengths and weaknesses. This way you'll have a better idea what to expect when facing the other two. You can test these on reavers there in VR and see how many hits you can take.

--Practice manuvers in the safety of your sanctuary. In your sanc, you can learn to traverse more dynamic mountains than that are in VR, work on tower landings (which aren't in VR), and train in a more realistice environment, without the massive grid everywhere.

--Contrary to what people say, learn to fly high AND low. There will be times when you'll need both. True, flying high and fast is the most utilized method, but learn to fly fast 10 off the ground thru trees. The more versatile you are, the more dangerous you'll become.

--Learn to fly with lag. This is something that plagues all of us currently. It hits me so bad, i've had to hang up my wings until another time. The amount of people in an area could cause laggy environs, therefore possibly limiting certain ways of flying.

--Learn engineering. Even if you stick with basic. Its a huge pain in the ass to try to find repairs when you really need it. Depend on yourself first, then others last. You won't let yourself down as fast as others will.

Hope these ideas help a bit. Good hunting.

Old 2003-06-26, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by 1024
:don'tforget: Avoid skygaurds.
I tend to go right at them. THey are lightly armored

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-06-26, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
tmartinez72
Sergeant

If you find that you REALLY suck at the reaver (like me). Fly the ceiling, hover, then spam rockets in the courtyard of the enemy base.

aa, av, & wall turrets cannot touch you. Decimators are easily avoided. You see one coming, strafe left 2m.

Enemy reavers are usually low or non-existant at an enemy base (usually out in the front line hitting snipers, towers, or flying the ceiling as yourself at your base).

Easy way to rack up kills.
Old 2003-06-26, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Protst Patrotsm
Private

I fly reavers NOE, it's much easier to avoid missles that way, plus you get the surpise aspect. people don't expect a reaver to come in at 150 kph and 3 meters off the ground

"This country, with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2003-07-01, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Arakiel
Sergeant Major

Flying a reaver is massively easy because PS's flight model is massively generic. Remember that the best role for a reaver is close air support - don't worry about flying at the flight ceiling and looking suave while you duel enemy reavers. Kill the ground troops and MAXes and your empire will love you for it.

Learn to lead with rockets. Don't use more rockets than necessary. If you get shot down before you've used all your rockets legitimately and effectively, you did something wrong. Reaver rockets are the single most overpowered weapon in the game*, but no one really seems to care too much because they're common pool.

* - This is precisely why I have the cert.

99% of the time it's a waste of time to worry about enemy reavers over a crowded base, partially because they're not your biggest threat, and partially because they're not what you're most effective against. I regularly get shot down by other reavers, but I also regularly get 10-12 kills on the ground before I am forced to bail. Being that a decent amount of enemy ground troops down is infinitely more important than one enemy reaver dying, this is, in fact, a good thing.

NC AA MAXes are the biggest threat you have to deal with - they're insanely effective and insanely easy to use. TR AA MAXes are very nice, but so few people know how to utilize them that you usually don't have to worry about it. VS AA MAXes are like watered-down NC AA MAXes.

The biggest advantage any ground troop has (or AA MAX) has on you is that you're easy to see, whereas if theyre smart, they'll make sure that when you start looking for them, they aren't overly visible. When you start getting damage on your reaver, make careful note as to where it's coming from, and hit that area on your next run.
Old 2003-07-01, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

practice with the rockets doing srafeing and still hitting your target , and also dont get crazy with the reaver or else you'll crash its one of the noob mistakes that everyone i know goes through. Use the 1-10 keys to adjust throttle, and when in open combat with lots of enemies keep an eye on your after burner so u can get away. Also if your under fire from a missile with a lock on it , first of all put lots of distance between u and the missle then circle around a tower or set of trees to avoid the lock , thats what helps me and if your TR or VS prepare to get your ass kicked my phoenixes
Old 2003-07-01, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Originally posted by Hamma
I tend to go right at them. THey are lightly armored

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2010-07-02, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
B0B
Private

Re: ^^Yea what he said^^

Originally Posted by JLeeAZN View Post
Learn when its the correct time to bail - and where to bail

When you get shot up and theres no chance of survival you want to find a nice spot of trees so when you touch down you arnt in the open ready to get hit again. Also, watch where your plane is gonna fly - if its gonna fly into a friendly base with lots of friendlies in it - you might wanna change your bail spot, i did that once and got a lot lot lot of grief!!
Ok whenever i am under attack and when i pass over half damege I always Bail And on my way down i get out my gun and shoot people on my fall and if you fly over a spot that has alot of enemy solders BAIL because it could kill alot of them so i hope you find thes tips usefull oh and if you fly over a enemy bass you save your after burners and use it to doge incoming fire
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion