Very little Advertising for PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep your hands off your joystick! This is not one of those sites.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-11-20, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

Very little Advertising for PS2

I have been watching and waiting but I still see nothing!

You would think that it would at least be on the splash screen for Steam or some gaming sites...

I wonder if they are trying to start out slow, get the established community into it first, then ramp up the ads to bring in the noob zerg.

I am definitely planning to join the 3rd East server I think the first 2 are going to be jammed.

Either way, i hope they really step up the advertising. I want to see this at least on some web advertising. Better yet, I want to see it right after the HALO 4 commercial, have a MAX unit squash the helmet of the "Master Chief"

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2012-11-20, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fafnir
Sergeant

Re: Very little Advertising for PS2

My guess is, they are going to start small. Once the game is solid, they will be heavily advertising it. That's what Riot Games Inc. did with League of Legends and look at them now.
Old 2012-11-20, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

There is no point advertising a beta, or the launch day, for a F2P. That only causes a massive hype, resulting in completly packed server and long quenes. After the initial hype, when stuff eases down and people stop playing 24/7, you have lots of half full servers.

Solution? Dont go crazy and build a hype. Instead, launch, then advertise big, to allow people to come to the game one after another, instead of a gigantic, massive zerg that rages because they cant actually play due to full servers and long quenes.

They are doing this exactly right, if they go into overdrive a bit after release.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-11-20, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
I have been watching and waiting but I still see nothing!

You would think that it would at least be on the splash screen for Steam or some gaming sites...

I wonder if they are trying to start out slow, get the established community into it first, then ramp up the ads to bring in the noob zerg.

I am definitely planning to join the 3rd East server I think the first 2 are going to be jammed.

Either way, i hope they really step up the advertising. I want to see this at least on some web advertising. Better yet, I want to see it right after the HALO 4 commercial, have a MAX unit squash the helmet of the "Master Chief"
We've spent quite a bit on PlanetSide 2 and you'll definitely see something on Steam once it launches but without a pre-load, there is no point to doing it yet.
Old 2012-11-20, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RaZrReD
Private

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We've spent quite a bit on PlanetSide 2 and you'll definitely see something on Steam once it launches but without a pre-load, there is no point to doing it yet.
Nice!! :-D
Old 2012-11-20, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

Thanks for posting RadarX. It just seems like after month of build up and media blitzes the Launch seems very quiet.

It definitely isn't on my end. I have been spamming my friends on the internet, phone, and face to face!

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2012-11-20, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Would of been nice to see some big adds on the major gaming sites. If you can do that with steam it will probably just be as good if not better I guess though.
Old 2012-11-20, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Well WoT slow burned up into a juggernaut.

They advertise now more than ever. I don't remember them doing so at launch.
Old 2012-11-20, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Being F2P there is no marketing action to initiate until the game is availible to download. There is simply nothing to advertise yet.
Old 2012-11-20, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
blbeta
Corporal

I have been pointing it out to those lucky enough to get paired with me on Steam in DoW II: Retribution's "Last Stand" game mode. Not spamming it mind you, just letting them know about a great F2P FPS.
Old 2012-11-20, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dragonskin
Major

The mainstream FPS crowd is already aware of Planetside 2 if they go to youtube. You have fairly big youtube personalities talking about it like Levelcap, Totalbiscut, Matimi0, RivalXFactor and a few others. Which is all free press.

Advertising will mostly pull in the more causal players. Which is a good thing, but really that's more important for after launch than it is for day1. Most of the hardcore FPS crowd has a least heard of Planetside 2 I think.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-11-20, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Being F2P there is no marketing action to initiate until the game is availible to download. There is simply nothing to advertise yet.
This is a fairly accurate statement. PlanetSide 2 is in an odder position because this is a much higher fidelity free to play game than you'd normally find. There will be some advertising for certain, but without a retail box, folks have nothing to buy.
Old 2012-11-20, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Yes but will it bl... buzz ?
Old 2012-11-20, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
AThreatToYou
Major

I hope its not added up too heavily. Over Steam it should have a big slot, but other than that, keep it low.
Old 2012-11-20, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

It's true there is no retail box...

However one really good strategy would be to HAND OUT THE GAME FOR FREE as a promotion at EB Games or Bestbuy.

Another option is for christmas next month... To bundle the game with the first patch on a disk that comes with 1000-2000 SC for 10-20$

I know some money must be lost somewhere on packaging though, so it may not be viable. But the promotion of the game could be worth it.

Since it's out today, what was the final ESRB rating of it? That could affect simply 'handing it out' too. :/

The sweetest deal of all would be with nVidea or something, to include the game with their new cards for xmas. DONE.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion