"No Battle Frame Robotics" - :Sadface: - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's not like you have anything else to do.....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-20, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

"No Battle Frame Robotics" - :Sadface:

I really enjoy seeing BFRs in Planetside. They look neat, they act differently, and they fit the genre of the game very well. They kind of bring me back to the 80s TV era when I was a kid. With that in mind, I'd like to humbly suggest the following:

Please add BFRs to Planetside 2 as an alternate version of the "mid sized tank", such as the Magrider, Prowler, and Vangaurd.

Numerically, a BFR and "mid sized tank" would be identical, with the same hitpoints, shielding, and firepower. They would also be acquired in the same manner at a vehicle terminal. However, a BFR would sacrifice horizontal movement speed for the ability to jump-hover. Hovering would use a resource like Stamina, making it a tactical aspect of play.

MAXs are nifty as well, but something deep within me giggles when he sees BFRs in action!

/giggle

Last edited by Tatwi; 2011-08-20 at 01:03 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-20, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: "No Battle Frame Robotics" - :Sadface:

I know you're new to PS and all, but BFRs ruined Planetside. That's why they aren't in PS2.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-08-20 at 01:06 PM.
Old 2011-08-20, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

BFR also encourage solo play.
Old 2011-08-20, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I know you're new to PS and all, but BFRs ruined Planetside. That's why they aren't in PS2.
I know you are new to reading and comprehension but he isnt talkin about bringing back the BFR's that ruined PS. I swear everytime one of these threads comes up, its full of people who either cant read or comprehend.

They could easily come back and be balanced well, if done right. Now you would have to scrap most everythign from the old bfr's such as shields and the one man army aspects etc.

But as far as just makin a mech for a midsize tank, easy and simple. If you just basically make a tank in the shape of the mech, generally keepin all other aspects of a standard tank then its fine. Its nothin like the old bfrs.

And just like regular tanks, make the pilot only able to drive,not shoot. You keep all aspects of normal vehicles, just change the shape. Having special flight/jump or whatever aspects would of course mean you would have to lower its armor or give it weaker weapons than it would have otherwise. Its all part of the balancing act.

I do think they would need to be the medium tank and not the heavy, its not a game of mechs so you really dont want em to be a huge presence.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-08-20 at 01:17 PM.
Old 2011-08-20, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
BFR also encourage solo play.
They have a turret just like a tank. I wouldn't say that they have to encourage solo play any more than a Magrider does.
Old 2011-08-20, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

I too love mechs. I made an idea thread for them a while back. Mechs seem to have a cult following though. A lot of people find them "unrealistic" and "stupid".
Old 2011-08-20, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
10/10 for actually reading what the guy wrote.

None of us like BFRs in their current state, but that doesn't give you the right to brush off his idea just because it has the letters 'BFR' in it.

You sir, are a hero.
Old 2011-08-20, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Merely calling it a bfr (no matter how you redesign them) will put people off the game.

Tanks are fine and likely to have larger than vanguard tanks so same thing really
Old 2011-08-20, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Robotech that was the shit.

I loved Macross Saga brings back child memories.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-08-20, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
they fit the genre of the game very well.
...As envisioned in japanese cartoons..or...? >_>
Old 2011-08-20, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Krowe
Sergeant

Yeah, it was a decent concept, but it should've been a multi-manned (3 minimum) vehicle.

What they released were essentially giant anime robots that could kill anything. Afaik they're still pretty much that. Of course, I do think its pretty hilarious that the NC BFR looks like a T-Rex.

They can try to introduce mechs again in PS2, but if they have the same effect and are still called BFRs then Lol, they screwed up.
Old 2011-08-20, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Raymac
Brigadier General

Robotech and Voltron were my 2 favorite cartoons when I was a kid, so I have a special place for mechs in my heart. However, BFR is a 4 letter word in Planetside. It's really as simple as that. It's doesn't have to be rational or logical because perception is 90% of reality and since BFR's are perceived to have killed the game, then thats the end of it.

This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-20, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I read the post just fine. He's new and doesn't know the history of BFRs, but fail idea is fail. They are not necessary and precipitated the a decline of PS due to a horrible, horrible implementation. Can they be done right? Possibly, but as we've discussed before - role overlap and they're too jaded of a subject to bother with. They risk losing a lot of vets who won't put up with it and have little to gain, if anything.
Old 2011-08-20, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
They have a turret just like a tank. I wouldn't say that they have to encourage solo play any more than a Magrider does.
>implying a magrider is the same as a flying variant BFR.
Old 2011-08-20, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

We have had more than enough threads on this discussion, fire up the search function.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion