I hate to rain on the parade--Outfit competitions... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You did what, with who, for how many jelly beans?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-15, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I hate to rain on the parade--Outfit competitions...

Everything in the post-release notes sound great, except outfit competitions. Outfit competitions will cause PS to become a TK-fest. Don't we have enough enemies to fight without fighting each other. Outfit competitions create a "sporty" air to PS, liek a giant online Paintball game. I feel that outfit competitions will take away from any sense of unity that each faction has.

PS created a greif system and now they are asking for a grief-fest. If an outfit decides it doesn't like you, you can be killed over and over again with little penalty to them if they take turns. How much fun will you have always looking over your shoulder while trying to fight the enemy. Hell, they don't even have to kill you, just damage you a bit to ensure that you die to the enemy faster. Once all this starts, even if PS takes the outfit competitions away, the mood of PS will be forever tainted. They'll have to turn to the "no freindly fire" method.

Just my thoughts.

If outfit competitions were limited to enemy outfits only, that would be cool.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2003-05-15, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

I'm curious how they will implement them too.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2003-05-15, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

The Army vs Navy football game every year is a great game, and you don't see them out "griefing" each other.

I think it'll be fine.
Old 2003-05-15, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
justmust
Corporal

I dont think a bit of friendly competition would be that bad for PS
Old 2003-05-15, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Harps
First Sergeant

Quarterly Outfit Competitions: Conduct special events featuring structured competitions between outfits. Games like "Capture the Flag" and others can be played.
The key word is structured it isnt just going to be random .... They are ganna prob lay out a area for it. Its prob ganna be organized like a CAL league match... very strict

At least thats what i got from it when i read it
Old 2003-05-15, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally posted by Unregistered
The Army vs Navy football game every year is a great game, and you don't see them out "griefing" each other.

I think it'll be fine.

Sorry, but you just don't get it. The Army and Navy don't greif on each other when they're in the feild on a real Op. This is easy to do in PS. There are no real consequences and the greif system is very forgiving. Like I said, everyone in an can take turns killing you and nothing bad would happen to them, but you'd still get shot dead from behind non-stop. How much fun could you have? And, how much would this interfere with you character developement.

Old 2003-05-15, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Holo
Private

This is what it will most likely be like pig.

They will probably set up another server for these structured events and announce the time when the games will be played. Moderators will probably run each game in a very structured and organized fashion. After the games everyone goes back to their respective servers and continues playing PS with the knowledge that their outfit may be the best CTF or Deathmatch style outfit. I honestly don't see what you're trying to get at. Nothing wrong with some competition

This will definetly knock up the replay value of PS greatly, these matches will be a very good thing. I don't know where you're getting "grief-fest" from...

-Black Hawks-
www.bhhq.com
Old 2003-05-15, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
LeonStrike
Corporal

There will be special places and times to have competitions. It won't be like "oh, you are being bad in our outfit, i think i'll kill you a lot", it's more like "Hey, bubby, want to see whos outfits better? just for kicks?" "sure billy, then we can raid a base in celebration" It will be a break from the same old base capping. It will also add more replay value, because you will be able to take on a specific group of guys, CS style

LeonStrike, MAX and Galaxy driver of the Chaos Warriors, Heavy Divison.

Old 2003-05-15, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Harps
First Sergeant

yah i know .. Theres nothin wrong with it .. i really dont see how your getting the grief in this .. Did u not see the Structured part in it .. Structured does not mean u can go take on a outfit on your side anytime that you want. Its prob going to be exactly like ladder match, where you actually have sked times to play against another outfit
Old 2003-05-15, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

1st, I don't know if you guys are in Beta or not. But this is already happening. You still don't understand. Of course the competitions will be seperate from the "regular" game, otherwise it would disrupt the flow of the game. The problem is that it promotes animosity between outfits that are supposed to be on the same side. Ideally, everyone would be totally cool and keep the competition freindly and leave it to the organized events. Unfortunately, this is not how internet communities work. Even in Beta, we are already seeing outfits ordering their men to TK certain individuals because they are in other outfits or they simply don't like them. That is counter-productive to what the gameplay is about and what each faction is trying to accomplish. It may sound cool on the surface, but in reality it "ruins" someone elses experience completely. That is unhealthy fo PS because if someone is not having fun, they are likely to quit which takes revenue away from PS and means less resources for game improvement. it's not what I want to see, but I only see tis leading to PS being "ruined" without a greif overhaul, or the removal of freindly fire--which I wouldn't want.

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2003-05-15 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2003-05-15, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Harps
First Sergeant

ok now i see your point ( you should of pointed that out in the 1st place ) Im sure they will find a way to counter it if not then i agree with u
Old 2003-05-16, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Big Bro
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Outfit competition will not promote TK.
Outfit competition will not dissuade TK.
Outfit competition has nothing to do with TK.

There is NO logical reason to TK. No game mechanics support this behavior. People that TK are a$$hat$ for the most part.

Except for me, of course.

Only TK'd once, and that was because some guy was jumping into people, getting into their face, shooting into the floor by people's feet (griefing to some degree even), spamming the broadcast, running around with knife in secondary fire mode, and basically being obnoxious. Everyone in the room was telling him to knock it off and STFU. The cake was when he jumped on top of a MAX and said "Ride 'em cowboy! YEEHAW!" I couldn't handle it any longer. I normally have zero grief, so I didn't mind whipping my chaingun and pasting the poor guy. I don't consider that a real TK. That was more like "tard control". Everyone in the room was like "Great Shot", "Excellent", and other assorted cheers of delight that the tard had been eliminated.

Morale of the story:
Outfit competition is a cool idea. TK is NEVER acceptable...unless you are acting as the "tard police".
Old 2003-05-16, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by Unregistered

I think it'll be fine.

I am a little skeptical on the whole idea too. But I don't have enough information to form an opinon just yet.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-05-16, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zartax
Private

I still don't get it. Why would an outfit try to kill members of another outfit in their own empire? That ony gives the grief and less points cause of friendly fire. Always better to kill enemies than friendlies, right?

And if it is going on already, I don't think that a competition will ever make it worse. Will people be so angry that someone else won that they will start killing withing the empire? Outfit organized?

I think if this becomes a problem, the devs will take care of it. They probably have some statistics that show haw many time an outfit has killed another outfitmember, and if this rises to unproportional level, they will get corrected or likewise. Don't you worry, the devs care for us.
Old 2003-05-16, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mold
Sergeant

I think you are exagerating this a little bit. I mean, perhaps this could be the answer to all the people who want to kill someone from another outfit in their empire. They could take it out in the competitions ad fight like men. Anyone who intentionally kills someone from another outfit in the same empire everytime they see them is plain idiotic (althought im not saying there arent idiots in the game that would do this) but they would do that no matter what system was in place.
Personaly i like this idea for a couple reasons.
1) promotes people to actually join outfits which i think is a great thing and improves gameplay 10x when you play with someone you are familiar with.
2)gives the standard FPS player some sort of Victory and Acomplishment, and an opertunity to prove their skills, which many people feel is missing in this game.
3) a place to challange that outfit that has the most points to see if they are realy that good.
4) the possibility of having a much larger (100 vs 100) battles of capture the flag, and other popular game modes.

I realy would like to know more about how they will be doing this. Especially since outfits vary in size.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion