Auto-refilling tank shells - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: giving new meaning to "Bangbus" since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-01, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Athanasios
Corporal

Misc Info
Thumbs down Auto-refilling tank shells

Obviously seen in TB live stream, the shells refill after a short time. I don't know if it's there just for testing purposes, but i hope they don't make it in the final release. 80-100 shells (that can be more with a cert) are enough to carry out a whole battle WHILE still giving that little "touch" of realism; you need to control where & why you are shooting, not a careless endless spam. Also, refilling in nearby stations & supply docks come into play.

I do hope this auto-refilling (just like vehicle regen) do not make it in the final way. By putting a bit more realism in there you do not turn an arcade fps into ArmA; but if you rip off any realistic element, the game will just don't last in time.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Athanasios; 2012-06-01 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: Auto-reloading tank shells

Yeah I wasn't really digging how much vehicles seem to have a salvo of ammo they shoot off then it is automatically reloaded after a few seconds versus the old style of just having a pool of ammo to shoot shells off. I suppose the latter would lead to more spamage and the first would induce a more tactical nature to firing your shots off.

I don't know, I'll have to actually play with that before I judge it.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-01, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Auto-refilling tank shells

This is about ammo regen or unlimited ammo right? That's one thing we don't need.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Xyntech
Brigadier General

This seems more important for something like an ES fighter than a tank to me.

A Reaver in PS1 was well balanced by the fact that it frequently had to go rearm (although it also had the speed to do so easily). A tank didn't have to do so as frequently, so I'm not sure if it would impact gameplay that drastically.

Personally I'm not a fan of auto regenerating shit, so on principle I'm against it, but as Death2All said, I do want to try it in practice before condemning it entirely.

Is this another thing like auto-repair where it will eventually be implemented as a trade off. Regenerating ammo, but you can't carry as much ammo (so you deplete and need to regenerate quicker) and you can't carry some other useful module? It may be a nice form of variety if that's the case.

Definitely something to keep an eye on and keep the devs aware of concerns about it.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-01 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
This seems more important for something like an ES fighter than a tank to me.

A Reaver in PS1 was well balanced by the fact that it frequently had to go rearm (although it also had the speed to do so easily). A tank didn't have to do so as frequently, so I'm not sure if it would impact gameplay that drastically.

Personally I'm not a fan of auto regenerating shit, so on principle I'm against it, but as Death2All said, I do want to try it in practice before condemning it entirely.
Unless you're suggesting that most tanks will die far before unlimited/regenerating ammo has a ridiculous effect, it's a problem.

I also wonder if flares and smoke shells should be unlimited(as they appear to be).
Old 2012-06-01, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Sorry, i didn't really notice the ammo usage from the stream. Would someone like to explain to me the current system, as observed?

I really don't like the idea of unlimited ammo, except perhaps in real life.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-01, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

You should have to go restock. Get rid of this auto Rearming Crap.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Athanasios
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Sorry, i didn't really notice the ammo usage from the stream. Would someone like to explain to me the current system, as observed?

I really don't like the idea of unlimited ammo, except perhaps in real life.
As of now, firing couple shells > auto regen after couple seconds. So, in the stream it was like 84 max rounds if i recall well, he fired couple rounds down to 76 and after couple seconds he had max ammo again.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Hmm... sounds pretty lame. I wouldn't expect that to stay as it is. We better rattle some chains and shit to bring attention to it. Just in case they were hoping it would slip past us! haha

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Old 2012-06-01, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Logically, this is either an admin trick or an upgrade module (I sure hope not)

If ammo regenerated that fast by default why would there be an ammo count in the first place
Old 2012-06-01, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

which is why i'm thinking that they just haven't gotten around to designing and balancing the final system.

They are just IDDQD'ing it for a while for dev. which is cool

Old 2012-06-01, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Unless you're suggesting that most tanks will die far before unlimited/regenerating ammo has a ridiculous effect, it's a problem.
Just speaking from experience in PS1, the tanks in that game could generally carry enough ammo that they only ever had to go resupply if they had a very long and successful run. It still happened quite a bit, but it wasn't a significant part of the minute to minute gameplay.

This contrasts with aircraft which had very limited ammunition and had to frequently go back for more ammo.

So while I do agree that it could be a problem, it's not as large of a problem is it would be for stuff with lower ammo caps, like aircraft, or like flare or smoke modules, which I agree would be better off needing to be restocked instead of auto regenerating.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Another reason to have the Lodestar back: Rearming tanks

In the stream Higby mentioned they (Lodestars) might be implemented to be vehicle spawn points (not sure if its land only or land/air). So having a limited ammo supply would create the logistical need for having a Lodestar nearby (aside from spawning).

Cheers,

GG

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Greeniegriz; 2012-06-01 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Coreldan
Colonel

I personally expected that this "600 rocket Reaver" and all similar things are mainly just remainings of tests, I doubt they will leave the numbers like that in the final game.

Almost like complaining about spawning vehicles in the middle of nowhere through admin commands, as if we had those in the final game for US to use

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-01, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
T MAN
Private

Not good at all, another thing taken from battlefield 3. what i dont understand is that infantry has limited ammo and grenades and stuff and have to resupply but air and tanks dont have to at all while being unlimited, just doesnt make sense to make the most powerful things in a game unlimited.

Never did like that in BF3, Battlefield 2/ BF1942 did it way better, where you had to go back to your base to resupply for heli, jets, and tanks.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion