I hate to rain on the parade--Outfit competitions... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you smell bacon?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-16, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I appreciate all who have remained civil. To make any absolute statements is just foolish. I see open minded responses, and words of the blind. I speak of possibilities of which are already happening in-game. It is best to condsider these things ahead of time. Once inplace, something which completely changes the atmosphere of planetside could be impossible to take back. I ask you this.. What if outfit competitions do breed contempt between outfits, they start to war against each other, and PS takes outfit competitions away? Will the waring end? I think not. As I said, this is already happening to some extent, why give them a REAL reason to not like each other.

If you haven't skimmed through my posts just looking for something to contest, you'd notice that I like the idea, I just don't believe it is good for PS. Especially without a greif overhaul. But how would that be done? Outfit to Outfit greif points sounds like a good start, but maybe still not a good solution. That idea would AT LEAST require the ability for the Outfit Leader to see each members greif levels. But what would that mattter if the O/L was fine with it.

Again I say, consider everything. I have 430 men, most of which would be more than happy to do it if I said so. This IS something which can be easily abused.

I had mentioned ealier that perhaps the competition should be against enemy outfits. That way you would not have to share space with them if you have contemptuous feelings and it will be OK to take revenge.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2003-05-16, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by EVILPIG
Again I say, consider everything. I have 430 men, most of which would be more than happy to do it if I said so. This IS something which can be easily abused.
Hmm, I dunno. If my commander said "TK so and so when you see him", I'd say "No, just report him if he's causing problems", but perhaps I'm atypical.

I like to think that most people realize the point of the game is to work on killing the enemy, and not your own side, and will leave outfits that don't support that. I know I would - not only because I wouldn't support it, but for the selfish reason that time spend warring with your own team is potential experience earning time wasted.

But more to the point, I do hope that if such a large scale abuse occurred, and if the entire outfit went along with it, that they would all be banned (or otherwise suitably punished).
Old 2003-05-16, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I don't really care about the outfit competitions, but it doesn't bother me that they will be putting them in.
Old 2003-05-16, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally posted by Chanfan
Hmm, I dunno. If my commander said "TK so and so when you see him", I'd say "No, just report him if he's causing problems", but perhaps I'm atypical.

I like to think that most people realize the point of the game is to work on killing the enemy, and not your own side, and will leave outfits that don't support that. I know I would - not only because I wouldn't support it, but for the selfish reason that time spend warring with your own team is potential experience earning time wasted.

But more to the point, I do hope that if such a large scale abuse occurred, and if the entire outfit went along with it, that they would all be banned (or otherwise suitably punished).

Good for you. It was just an example, as it is our policy to not permit such behavior.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2003-05-16, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
LeonStrike
Corporal

*sigh* Outfit competitions will be a good thing for PS. If people do kill others because of the outfit they are in, that person will jut report them, and they will be punished in some form, such as character deletion, banned for a certain amount of time, and lots of other things. Then that person will learn to never do it again, and if they do, their account will be deleted. That simple. Outfit competitions will allow friendly outfits to see who is better for the fun of it. Remember, fun is the reason for every game. The amount of fun people will have with outfit competitions will definitly outway the stupid people who will TK, and they will eventually be deleted .

LeonStrike, MAX and Galaxy driver of the Chaos Warriors, Heavy Divison.

Old 2003-05-16, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Angry Ok to try and get a grip with what's happening.

Evilpig: YOu like the idea of outfit competitions but dont believe it will help PS as a whole. Primarily because it might cause/make worse interoutfit animosity. While I can see your point I can hopefully put forth this consolation, aside from the fact that large groups of small boys will always try and mess with smaller groups of people. It's happened in every online experience I can think of to date, from UO to Diablo to EQ. The safty measure is the non technical component of the player controll system. I.E the GMs. If one person or gorup of people is consistantly attacking and killing one other person or group of people that consitutes harrasment and SOE tends to take a very dim and some might say facist view of that. Expect whole outfits to be banned/temporarily restricted if this sort of thing really gets out of hand.

To recoil or whatever your name was:
Ok normally I dont light into people like this, but is everyone who doesnt agree with you horribly naive? Seriously do you walk around your home/school/office/daycare and someone says "I dont think Matrix will win anything this year because they critics are too biased against sequels" and you'll say "Well your really niave" At this point you might get punched in the face. The point I'm trying to make is this is a forum, a place where people put forth ideas. It is poor attitude at best (downright rude and insulting at worst) just direct comments at them just because you disagree with them.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-05-16, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

I think it would be nice, ya know, log in, check the MOTD and it says

"Hey everyone, we're going to be having a outfit comp. at 9PM PST on Saturday, see you there!

I remember stuff like that on JK2, we would have practice comps in our own outfit and stuff, and it was really organized, and uber fun,

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2003-05-16, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

you're all just scared because when the time comes New Dawn is gonna make CDL our bitches...

(well that is if outfits from different factions can duke it out..)

actually thats what I thought it meant all along, was outfits from different factions could face easch other....
Old 2003-05-16, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Big Bro
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by OneManArmy
you're all just scared because when the time comes New Dawn is gonna make CDL our bitches...
You will have to get through NCG first. Lay off our Terran brethren!
Old 2003-05-16, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
cgreene415
Private

Yeah I dont like that idea 1 bit ...I rather do without Outfit Comps.

666-SS-Devil DOGS forever w00t
Old 2003-05-20, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Winged_Nazgul
Master Sergeant

Seriously, if I was in an outfit and was told to TK somebody just because they were in a rival outfit, my first move would be to hit the Leave Outfit button. Your arguments presuppose having people who can't think for themselves. There is already competition between outfits in the form of outfit points. Having quarterly competitions will not push responsible outfits over the brink. Like it's been said before, there are morons out there. I guess that goes for moron outfits too. This does not mean that competition between outfits is a bad thing.
Old 2003-05-20, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zentenk VA
Corporal

I would like compatitions to see where we stand, if you get mad or upset cause you lost capture the flag you have problems. I doubt this will make people grief, just give a GG after the Outfit Compatition and it should be ok... if they have problems well HA HA that is dumb. There are only 2 common enemies for me on Auraxis.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion