Gillie Suit - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: M.L.W.A. Join Today!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-08, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Huma
Sergeant

Gillie Suit

Instead of doing all the bells and whistles with cloaking why not allow snipers to spec into a specialized adaptive camo body armor. This camo body armor would automatically assign colors depending on the terrain in the hex the sniper is in. when the sniper move to another hex there would be a 30 second recalibration period before their armor adjusted for the new color pattern.
That way snipers get a little more cover and aren't like steaminess with really big guns.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Gillie Suit

So you don't want an infiltration suit; you want a crappy infiltration suit?
Old 2011-08-08, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Huma
Sergeant

On a sniper? Yes. Better than nothing and it doesn't leave you with invisible death machines in the hills. Besides Gillie suits serve their purpose even in games. It's there to break up your silhouette and blend with your surroundings.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aractain
Major

....Whaat??
Old 2011-08-08, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SavageB
First Sergeant

Op imo...
Old 2011-08-08, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Translation: It's not exactly like in Planetside 1? Must be a bad idea.
Huma, isn't this practically asking for the heavy infiltrator suit discussed/conceptualized in your other thread by the way?

Last edited by EASyEightyEight; 2011-08-08 at 06:46 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raelity
Private

Cool idea, ghillie suits would be great for snipers. They would need to change depending on the enviroment though, not necessarily like a chameleon blending in with the detail of the background, just white for snow, green for grass, grey for rock or desert etc.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sirisian
Colonel

Would it have the empire colors or would it be like a non-specific suit?

I actually wouldn't mind a suit where anything more than 50 meters couldn't see you if you stopped moving for say 10 seconds and didn't shoot. You'd have snipers moving around then stopping for a while undetected to ranged enemies. Then if they shot they'd become visible. Not sure if that would be overpowered though.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I swear, at first I read it as "Jelly Suit"
Old 2011-08-08, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

Why does everyone want to buff snipers?
Old 2011-08-08, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Why does everyone want to buff snipers?
Not snipers as a whole. It could be further down their skill tree and part of a scout sniper skill set. Main reason is because a snipers oft over looked role is providing intel. The gillie suit would just provide them a lotle bit more cover while they do their job.
Old 2011-08-08, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Huma, isn't this practically asking for the heavy infiltrator suit discussed/conceptualized in your other thread by the way?
Not really, this just provides a specialized sniper with a little more cover without providing true stealth. They would still get their standard inventory. A heavy stealther suit would just provide a slot for say a suppressor, limited equipment, and limited stealth suit capabilities.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I did have a thought a while ago about adaptive camo that slowly blended into the surrounding colors but took time so it wouldn't help while moving or could wear off while moving, though I had described it as an NC empire-only upgrade option since NC were described as the guerrilla warfare empire. Could work without being OP depending on how it was implemented and would of course have a resource cost. Though I generally dislike something that might encourage not advancing so I like the idea less now.

Similar thing could be done for snipers I suppose but I don't understand why. I don't think they need it and I share Bags' curiosity with people getting all hyped about snipers. They weren't all that important in PS1 and were only useful for sitting back and farming BEP at a stalemate. They didn't stop an advance and they didn't take territory, so...meh at best.
Old 2011-08-08, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

idk, i sniped a bit in ps and i was honestly never close enough for enemy fire to matter to me, save other snipers.

besides the giant blue bullet streak across teh sky gave my position away, i was never seen before my first shot, im not honestly sure how useful this is. you main predators are other snipers and infil's and again after a single shot your position is toast.

my best tactic was using phanty to fly to a mount top fire shots off and vanish inside of it.
Old 2011-08-08, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Huma
Sergeant

That's because snipers never really had a role in PS1. Considering the scale of combat and the size of the battlefield in PS2 snipers will fill the same role they have IRL. Provide intel, eliminate high value targets, and spread general confusion. Everyones role will be recognizable by jus looking at them so why not give snipers their signature suit? It's never been OP in any other FPS and I don't see it being OP in this one.
Besides it would really only allow them to move into and out of sniper nests without being detected. It's not like I'm saying they should be invisible.

Last edited by Huma; 2011-08-08 at 08:32 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion