Beta Character Retention - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where implants DO HURT!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-10, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Beta Character Retention

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
yep, there are asses out there. For 3 years the VS had to put up with GeneralVega on Markov and later Gemini. His long play sessions consisted of doing all he could to piss off the empire. He'd go around friendly bases and destroy every friendly mine he saw. He'd take our mods out of the cradle when the base was hacked and run them toward enemy territory. He'd TK LLU runners and start running the wrong way. He'd get an AMS, sit in it, then undeloy and move on purpose before you got gear. He'd block bridges with and AMS. He'd intentionally kill the generator at an enemy base with 10 seconds left on the hack. He'd kill the lobby term at every base we were attacking. I could go on....

And for 3 years, SOE did NOTHING about it. Great eh?
Wow. I heard this guy's name before, but I never knew why it was so widely mentioned. That is BS. This guy around when your could still blow friendly tubes/gens? Lol, he would of had a lot of fun with that depending on his grief level. If you use boomers and blew a gen at once how much grief would people get? I blew a few friendly gens for shits and giggles on empty conts, but I don't really remember grief levels with it.
Old 2011-08-11, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I can't help thinking that GeneralVega is awesome. That is some seriously dedicated trolling. 3 YEARS?! wow, even i got bored of being a dick online within the first few months of discovering the internet as a kid... and my sense of humor is pretty low-brow.

At least i know whose name to steal on Day-1! hahah
Old 2011-08-11, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

Beta character retention? No.
Old 2011-08-11, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Im sure ill be fine. and if someone takes my name ill choose another one. new game
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-11, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I haven't seen a major MMO carry over beta characters in a long time. Doing so would also mean that you have players working to advance themselves during beta and not trying out different parts of the game and giving feedback.

It also destroys some of the value in early-access for special editions and pre-orders and what not. That's the strongest motivator in getting people to buy early and order special editions.

And then there's the fairness factor of people who didn't get into beta feeling cheesed out of advancement time because they weren't in beta and want a fair shake. Early access is early access to anyone who pays and so that's a fair shake. Beta rollover is not a fair shake.

There's 3 good reasons why a game company shouldn't do beta character rollover. They hurt themselves and the game by doing so.
Old 2011-08-11, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'm not sure what this obsession people have about wanting something special from being in Beta (I'm aware this thread doesn't pertain exactly to that, but it does follow the theme).

Can't people be happy that they were able to experience the game ahead of time?

No of course not, they need some way to say "Hey look, I'm better than you!"

Ridiculous.
I want it for a different reason. Almost everyone says they were in beta, whether it is true or not.

Old 2011-08-11, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
SKYeXile
Major General

Any game that has an item mall up in open beta will probably see the beta characters rollover to live, so it could be a possibilty.
Old 2011-08-11, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

There's also the concept that during beta cert training may be exponentially faster just to see results we'd otherwise wouldn't see until years later. They'll want to wipe those characters.

As for early access? That works in MMORPGs with PvE mobs as it spreads the pre-release and release crowds out, so it's not one massive cluster-**** on launch day but for PS2... that's precisely what we want. I can't see an early release helping PS2 over a standard launch. Where PS is concerned, the more people there are on day 1+, the better.
Old 2011-08-11, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I want it for a different reason. Almost everyone says they were in beta, whether it is true or not.
And what reason might that be? Because from the latter part of your statement it sounds like you feel the need to be able to prove you were in Beta over others.

Which kind of just goes back to this point:
No of course not, they need some way to say "Hey look, I'm better than you!"
That said, I'm fine with people being able to identify Beta testers, but it can't have any meaningful purpose.

With Global Agenda they gave us a forum tag for being Alpha/Beta testers, and that was alright, though it did lead to use of said tag to try and reinforce ones argument.

What would you propose that testers get?
Old 2011-08-11, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

It's less about the beta peen (tho, that is sexy) and more about calling BS on people trying to play the "I was in beta so I'm clearly an expert" card. I don't remember any of the tagged testers in GA doing that but I left the forums after the first few months of live.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2011-08-11 at 11:44 PM.
Old 2011-08-12, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
It's less about the beta peen (tho, that is sexy) and more about calling BS on people trying to play the "I was in beta so I'm clearly an expert" card. I don't remember any of the tagged testers in GA doing that but I left the forums after the first few months of live.
people are retards, I would beleive it, they somehow think that playing longer means they're better or are more knowledgable and therefore right

When somebody says they have played since beta, i normally respond with equal stupitidy and say iv played since pre alpha.
Old 2011-08-12, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
It would be nice to have reserved names and outfit rosters. Thats all that really matters to me.

I second this whole heartedly.

Old 2011-08-12, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by WarChimp130 View Post
Hell somebody could probably just go ahead and be a dick and name them after people they just know are going to be coming back just to spite them.
[True story]
I'm convinced that some douche is running around buying games on Day 1 just to take my name even though he doesn't use it....just because I called him out for being a douche.

So im changing my name...

to WarChimp130
Old 2011-08-12, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
[True story]
I'm convinced that some douche is running around buying games on Day 1 just to take my name even though he doesn't use it....just because I called him out for being a douche.

So im changing my name...

to WarChimp130
It's frankly more memorable, and I'd probably giggle even if my name were on the right side of the weapon icon.
Old 2011-08-13, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
And what reason might that be?
I already stated my reason.

Because from the latter part of your statement it sounds like you feel the need to be able to prove you were in Beta over others.
The latter part of my statement unequivocally indicates no such thing.

That said, I'm fine with people being able to identify Beta testers, but it can't have any meaningful purpose.
Identifying the Beta Tester is the meaningful purpose.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion