I'm not sure we've seen Rexo yet. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: short skirt, straight jacket.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-18, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

I'm not sure we've seen Rexo yet.

As I look over these awesome photos (most of which center upon the Terran Republic), I'm starting to wonder if we have only seen Agile Armor or Standard Breastplates. The armor these soldiers are wearing has a main breastplate, shoulder plates, greaves, etc, but also has a lot of heavy fabric covering the arms and legs (rather than 100% full-body armor plating). In addition to that, the helmets all have goggles; this was seen in Terran Agile armor (whereas Reinforced Exoskeleton armor had a gas-mask/rebreather unit).

Another reason I think that we're only looking at Agile armor is because we see a soldier wearing a jetpack; Higsby referred to jetpacks as light assault or fast assault, differentiating it from heavier infantry variants.

To me, my hypothesis is really exciting, because this Agile armor looks badass- imagine what Reinforced Exoskeletal armor will look like!

And besides, I'm Vanu. Technology equals might!

~Zachariah
Old 2011-08-18, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: I'm not sure we've seen Rexo yet.

Suppose its possible. My guess is they pruned it down to three infantry armor styles instead of four. Remember its a class, not an armor. The armor is just for looks now.. The class will determine what the hitpoints are. One 'heavy' class, despite looking the same, need not have the same stats as another.

Regarding the jetpack, its an alpha screenshot.

Regarding the fabric, there were fabric areas on rexo in PS. Textures are just low res. Coverage does seem less, but concepts change.

Regarding Ze Goggles, again, concepts change. You'll note the VS max concept looks nothing like those in PS1.

You're grasping at straws. Not saying you are wrong, just that there is no indication there is a heavier class of armor, no indication that 'rexo' exists in any meaningful way anymore, and plenty of evidence that basing a judgement off of the looks of PS1 is bad joojoo.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-08-18 at 01:09 AM.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Haha. Those sound like valid points. It's true, I'm basing my hypothesis off of PS1, and again, I'm Vanu, so it doesn't really affect me directly. So we'll see if I'm on target or not. However, you bring up an interesting point- will certain classes automatically have a suit of armor assigned to them? I'm actually not sure. Obviously, some classes like "Heavy assault" will have either Rexo or MAX armor, but what about some in-between classes. Will there be heavy armor and agile armor variants of medics and engineers? Will there be Agile and Standard versions of Light Assault?

It's somewhat off-topic, but I hadn't considered that until you mentioned it.

Either way, I love the art style in this game. I'm upgrading my computer in preparation for it!

~Zachariah
Old 2011-08-18, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

Eh, I'm pretty sure the guy in the front and to his right are rexo, and the guy to his left crouched is agile.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

^^^ Looks like it.

I wouldn't be surprised if armor wasn't entirely role based. 2142 let each role pick between heavy and light armor, it may be the same here. Tho, it may also be that Agile is the only suit that allows for backpacks so all of your utility builds (med back packs, jump packs, etc) are agile+pack and rexo is pure beef. /speculation_galore
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Brusi
Contributor
Major

+1 agree with Bags. The openface/closedface helmets being a good indicator.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-18, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Class doesn't necessarily dictate armor. It could dictate armor options. They've stressed customization so I wouldn't rule out allowing someone the choice of armor types for certain classes and letting them pick the tradeoffs (speed vs protection, etc).
Old 2011-08-18, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I've been thinking that all the armors we've seen look rather light myself. I think a lot of the differences we see may actually be customization/BR dependent stuff.
Old 2011-08-18, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Graywolves
General

For all we know in the time between PS1 and PS2, each empire has done the development of making a single exosuit uniform across their forces.

We've got nothing but speculation based off helmets unfortunatley, no one can say for sure what's going to happen.
Old 2011-08-18, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
FIREk
Captain

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to swap out kits with those of fallen enemies. If you're a Medic and pick up an Assault's kit, you will most likely get his backpack, plus his forearm, elbow and thigh guards.

It looks like SOE dropped the whole "exosuit" nonsense for more sensible, military-looking uniforms.
Old 2011-08-18, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

the base helmets in that screenshot are the same, just that the guys on the left have a face-mask over the helmet.

For all we know, there is no agile or rexo, just armored, and stealth. I don't recall any mention of armor weights personally. One would think the jetpack class would use light armor but then, they only mentioned the weapons they'd be restricting as an example, not the armor.

Customization is just that: customization. Sure, it looks like rexo because it has more padding, a different chest (and a full helmet, zomg!) than the guy kneeling, but that could be indicative of customized armor. Just saying, don't take your first impression of an image + what's in PS1 and assume anything as stone cold fact just yet. There's probably not going to be standard armor in PS2 for example, since they want us to pick our class during rebirth.
Old 2011-08-18, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Actually yes, I forgot about that three-man-charge photo. I agree with Bags on this. The sealed helmets and the arm-and-leg armor plating seem very much like they're Rexo, the guy kneeling wearing Agile. Thanks, Bags!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion