Mr.Vicchio Wants to know, why come back (again) to PS? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Looking for Squad
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-01, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Mr.Vicchio Wants to know, why come back (again) to PS?

I quit again, after a month playing, as all three empires on three diff servres under different names. Last time I played was right after the expansion was "free trial"

I am thinking of going up again, for two reasons:

1. I do like the premise of the game, I REALLY DO.

2. I have 512 megs of PC2100 DDR Ram comming today or tomorrow and damn it, I think that now having 1 gig of ram will make the game not run so freaking laggy.

Sys spec so you know what I have:

1 gig DDR Ram
NVidia GeForce4Ti4600
SoundBlaster Audigy2
1.8 Ghz P IV CPU
Intel MotherBoard (Forget the stats but at teh time I built it was a top of the line model...
Win XP
Cable 1000 plan (756kps minimum in 256kps min out)

I don't have the expansion, but really don't see the need.

Oh and I have way too much free time now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are still no:

Air-To-Air weapons (My most fun is flying a reaver and go head to head.. lame that its only with guns, was and still is my BIGGEST pet peeve)

Big battles on atleast the weekends...

What has changed since then?
What really is worth it.

This is dead serious, so inform me please.
Old 2004-03-01, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

First off, you missed the balance pass which was a patch that changed most of everything to come up to par with the other empires.

We had a server merge that took the Johari and Konried server base and merged them to Markov and Emerald.

We just recently had a ammo patch that changed all the ammo ammounts per box for a lot of things and the magazine size of the ammo. This went for vehicals and weapons.

The MAXes have had a big change also, the VS maxes are unbelieveable, NC maxes are still ownage and TR maxes just got fixed too. The DC is back to AI and the Pounder is now AV with modifications.

We just got a population cap fix with the ammo patch which made the pop caps of all the empires the same on each continent so the defenders are not zerged to oblivian and accually have a chance to fight the attackers back.

The JH has been bug fixed finally. (You can no longer fire tri-shot so quick or do the quad-shot trick)

The Lasher got buffed so it can now lash within 5m of the user. This also has a bug where the lash hits you through walls and when you are behind the guy. (Hopefully will be fixed soon)

The MCG is balanced and got a buff a long time ago and might soon be getting a ammo buff, i heard this on the OF so I dunno if this is true.

Thats about all I remember so, please add more guys.

Old 2004-03-01, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Hey again vicchio. Im into PS now that I got a new rig so ill give ya the low down. PS is about to take a massive change from its normal gameplay. The new continet domination is going to change how a continent is taken. Defence of a continent will be much easyer. ZThe JH got the Axe but they buffed the lasher and its bugged and spammed making it insane. That will be fixed tho. The ammo patch trippled the size of 12mm boxes, and doubled 20mm. They also altered some vehicles clip sizes (mossy down to 150) but it carries 1200 max. DC is back to AI. Pounder is back to AV. Most of the population has AV now so MAXs are majorly insupirior without infantry support. Everyone has AV cause deci is av now. (But hey whaddaya know I dont use deci anymore). Lotsa stuff got torque increase making driving fun. Im prolly missing something but oh well. Basicly the game changed alot in a month. And its going to change again sometime this week or maybe next.
Old 2004-03-01, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Trying the game again would be a good idea and also try joining an outfi, if you didn't the first time you were missing out on a lot.
Old 2004-03-01, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know about these dynamic warp links or the capital buildings but on the main PSU page they are hinting that there might be a test this week.

Old 2004-03-01, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Your rig is similar to mine, and I don't have any problems other than the insanely huge battles (which are quite common in some of the bottlenecks).

They are trying to entice people into the caverns with the new "cavern lock" system which means if you have all the buildings in the cavern, the linked base(s) on the surface count as having all six modules (which, IIRC *do* flow through the lattice as normal) so that will be a *massive* benefit to the surface forces. As such, there should be more fighting in the caverns as that's too big of a carrot for any faction to ignore, so there will be troops down there to deny that advantage to the enemy if nothing else. Probably the only thing they could of done to get large numbers down there.

Still no improvement on the air front...except with the Uni-MAX cert there's five tons of AA everywhere, so learn to mark your nearest repair pad and get ready to run like hell (especially against VS and NC).

Other than that...the Capitol thing is going to be really cool. Especially when they get the new base designs for it (months and months away, I know).
Old 2004-03-01, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Thanks for the input guys!

Fecking hell.

No freaking Air-to-Air missles, but they loaded the Groundies with AV?

Wait, let me think here....

Uhm... feck no. I like to fly. They think air is too much, give the flyboys a real chacne at taking each other down not "guns" while dodging locked on missles"

Bah.. I might still load on. Emerald, NC. No promises.

And they can have thier caves.
Old 2004-03-01, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

What would be so fun about air-to-air lock on missles?

There would be no dog fights, ever.

It would just be a Starfire/Sparrow in the air with wings.

No fun.

Old 2004-03-01, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SilverLord
What would be so fun about air-to-air lock on missles?

There would be no dog fights, ever.

It would just be a Starfire/Sparrow in the air with wings.

No fun.
Not true.

They wouldn't be fire and forget, they would be like the old Sparrows, you lock on, and have to stay pointed at the target. Now THAT would rock. One for Mosq, 2 for reavers and 5 to take ddown a Gal. That would Roxxor.

But alas, dumb fire rockets and "guns" is alls we gets.

And this is from a Civilization that went through worm hole. Lame.
Old 2004-03-01, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Spork said they're gonna be adding stuff to air soon. I hope for full maneuverability and air to air weapons

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-01, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MrVicchio
They wouldn't be fire and forget, they would be like the old Sparrows, you lock on, and have to stay pointed at the target.
Now that clariies what your trying to talk about. That sounds super cool.

Old 2004-03-01, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SilverLord
Now that clariies what your trying to talk about. That sounds super cool.

Hehehe I don't want to be downed by fire and forget either lol.

Now, they revamp it so that full manuverability is in... sweetness.

They revamp it so I can do REAL Air-to-air.. SWEET-NESS.

One other thing... Chaff... need to add chaff, so that we can atleast TRY to escape from SAM's.

Really tho, it is BEYOND Lame that the groundies get teh Lock on and the Air gets.. dumb fire only..

Thats just me though lol.
Old 2004-03-01, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Countermeasures are going into the post-BR20 abilities, Vic.

For pilots, the greatest threat is massed AA. AV weapons are not that great of a deterrent against aircraft, as long as you fly evasively. AA MAXes are more potent (the Vanu one especially), and Skyguards control the skies - but none of these are impossible to down.
Old 2004-03-01, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

The thing you have to keep in mind is that Lock-On does not really have a great track record in PS...ask any Striker user. Granted, it's most useful against air, but that doesn't mean anything.

I'm also not a big fan of this "BR20 Elite Ability" for countermeasures and a real flight model. Why should that be limited to the BR20 crowd? I understand that they need SOMETHING...but giving them such an insane advantage over the non-BR20s goes against the design goals of PS...that a BR1 with the same weapon stands a roughly equal chance against a BR20. Give them the ability to do things like loops when the BR less than 20 can only do turns, and the BR20 will win every fight, not because they're a better pilot, but because they've been given an insanely unfair advantage.

The way it SHOULD work is that the flight model goes in as a toggle for ALL pilots (VTOL (current) mode and flight mode) and all aircraft get counter-measures (due to the overwhelming AA). The BR20s can get missiles that lock-on for their Reavers (rarer munitions only issued to elite troops or some such), which wouldn't be that unbalancing because the lower than BR20s have some means of survival, but the BR20s still have an edge...just not a massive one.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the idea of these major changes being only for the high BR characters really bugs me.
Old 2004-03-01, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I dont' agree with the high end players getting an insane advantage either.

Lcok on should only be locked on as long as your have your A/C pointed at teh target.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion