Planetside 2 Media Roundup - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boy I hope this quote gets approved.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Old 2011-07-09, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Planetside 2 Media Roundup

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...undup-2501.htm

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-14 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added Prefix
Old 2011-07-09, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: Planetside 2 Media Roundup

Just watched all the videos, some thoughts came up while watching though.

The possible quick knife, if it's instant kill what bonuses are possible for it? More importantly will MAXs be able to melee? Crumping people with the hand that isn't a giant gun has a deep appeal (as does crushing people under a falling VS MAX). CoD and TF2 both encourage melee as winning a gunfight with a knife is deeply enjoyable.

Finding the last AMS to stop an assault on a base is annoying. It's going to be more annoying when that spawn point has surge and is permanently cloaked. On the other hand, clowncarring can now be done with infils.

The ability for outfits to create their own bases is interesting but can they be destroyed as well?

The resources were talked about in how they can be used to mod tanks and such. Mr. Higby said that it only lasted until the tank was destroyed. So obviously the attachments require resources per use. Is this also the case with attachments for guns? Do vehicles require resources to make regardless of attachments? Hope not, I'm a stingy git.

Will hover vehicles have after-burns rather than brakes? (Thresher drivers know what I'm talking about) And in that same vein, what's the maximum number of mines that can be placed? Mines and turrets were the only two deployables mentioned but I hope we'll have tank traps and aegis generators or similar again.

Kill streaks, I'm interested how they plan to do this as airstrikes and the like aren't possible. However, what about support personal? Smed talked about how galaxys will be harder to fly and will be a more rewarding experience, that would seem to mean that you'd be able to get similar bonuses for support as you would for frontline combat. But I'm having a hard time coming up with analogies for killstreaks and more importantly the bonuses that they would provide. Possibly the number of kills achieved by droppers would be the metric and an ability granted might be faster flight speed?

Are there going to be separate bonuses for gunners? Or will the driver get to pick between better handling or longer range weapons? Seems like a conflict of interests if it's the latter. How do kill streaks work in multi-man vehicles? e.g. If you're in a full raider and each of the 4 gunners got a kill does anyone get a reward? If so who decides when or if to use it? The driver's busy dodging mines and the gunners are working on a Reaver. Seems like passive benefits for kill streaks rather than triggered rewards would be the plausible solution.

And that's a wall of text.
Old 2011-07-09, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Just watched all the Vids 2 things caught my attention right away and are the only 2 things I see important to comment about being the new game seems to be right on track on most things and looks like they got most of the improvements they needed to add or change to the first one. First the weapon are more lethal...fantastic but this better mean there will be one shot kills with say head shots and heavy assault riffles/ sniper riffles. And 2 he says there wont be a way to mitigate damage with heavier armor say a tank will still be damaged by a pistol and that this is needed to make a competitive fps....wrong! this makes it unrealistic and less competitive to a hard core simulation fps player like my self, I don't want some noobs to be able to get some dumb luck shot into my badly damaged tank and kill me and my gunners with a stupid pistol like what happened in the first one, I want that noob to get smart and better at the game and use tactical thinking to know what kills tanks and what does no damage to them so he is always ready for that lucky shot at my damaged tank! It is important to keep it competitive so a noob playing in his first 10 mins can get a shot from his pistol or knife into the back of a br25/cr5 5 year player just standing around commanding his team and kill him but not if he is in a major armored unit at that time say a tank or max lets keep it real people! Planet Side players for the most part are hardcore veteran fps players that have played nearly every fps on the market we play planetside for excellence and fps perfection, please give it to us soe it looks like you are getting VERY CLOSE.

Last edited by Livefire; 2011-07-09 at 09:09 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lazza
Private

Smed said that he was going to take a week off for BF3 when its released then go back to playing planetside... probably grasping at straws but does that mean PS2 will be released b4 then or at least the beta.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Peukje
Private

Loved the videos. I'm totally hyped again, after weeks of news about upcoming news finally some real info. Cant wait to play and ill try to drag in all of my friends
Old 2011-07-10, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Straws
Corporal

The statement that they have a 3 year plan for PS2 is music to my ears. This is exactly what Planetside needs this time round. I hopefully speak for most of us when I say that the worse thing to happen to this game was the bad decisions, but the LACK of decisions.

We had a very long period of no development, which was not helped with a Lead leaving because of an assumed break-down because of failed community interaction.

As long as these long term plans are appropriately worked upon, hopefully this game will peak higher and for longer than the original.

From the second video, I have to ask, why would someone consider GTA games as "sandbox"? Sandbox means player manipulated, not open world or non-linear. Those aspects are present in sandbox to some degree, but that's not what a sandbox is.

Also, mission system...awesome! The squad objectives system that players suggested has also been picked up. Hurrah!

Last edited by Straws; 2011-07-10 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Blackice
PSU Staff

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Kill streaks, I'm interested how they plan to do this as airstrikes and the like aren't possible. However, what about support personal? Smed talked about how galaxys will be harder to fly and will be a more rewarding experience, that would seem to mean that you'd be able to get similar bonuses for support as you would for frontline combat. But I'm having a hard time coming up with analogies for killstreaks and more importantly the bonuses that they would provide. Possibly the number of kills achieved by droppers would be the metric and an ability granted might be faster flight speed?
This is the one thing that i did not like about Call of Duty. People have come to expect a reward out of their kill streaks. However, in most games that had kill streaks it was nothing more than letting you know that had killed 5, 10,15 people without dieing and the reward was just the satisfaction that you were playing well. If there are rewards offered i think that they should not be offered to the person who has achieved the kill streak but to the person who was able to stop them.
Old 2011-07-10, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

I'm glad I took the time to watch the vids, particularly the Dev Roundtable and Q&A, if I hadn't I would not be as stoked as I am now.

It seems to me that SOE intend to combine some of the things from Eve that I really liked with those things in PS that have always rocked. IF they can do that without importing the sucky stuff that Eve had (POS & sov rules and crap netcode) then this will be kick-ass.

I'm really hopeful that PS2 will use the skill system in a way that really enhances the playing experience for the player, rather than a time-sink to keep the subs coming in while the player makes the slow crawl towards whatever end-game scenario would be the equivalent of Cap ships or super-caps.

I'll be interested to see more of the class system and again, I'm the optimist, that it may well translate to not much more than a suit with x number of pockets or bonuses, like a mission specific type of rexo or agile suit. Hopefully thingls like CE cloakers will still be possible.

Anyhow, looking forward to more disclosures.

DaddyTickles
Old 2011-07-10, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
This is the one thing that i did not like about Call of Duty. People have come to expect a reward out of their kill streaks. However, in most games that had kill streaks it was nothing more than letting you know that had killed 5, 10,15 people without dieing and the reward was just the satisfaction that you were playing well. If there are rewards offered i think that they should not be offered to the person who has achieved the kill streak but to the person who was able to stop them.
In PS it seemed that if you were doing really well, who ever killed you got a fat BEP paycheck. It would go a way to easing my worry about killstreaks if they also added a multiplier to the BEP you're worth (something like a 1.05 multiplier +.05 per additional killstreak) on top of the multiplier for vehicles.

Recently had a vision if the quick-knife is insta-gib. A cloaker sits infront of a locked door. An infantry runs out, gets stuck on the cloaker, cloaker knifes him, repeat. Knifes need to be 2 hit to kill, just like sniper rifles.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Higby posted on exactly this.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...039#post571039

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-11, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
In PS it seemed that if you were doing really well, who ever killed you got a fat BEP paycheck. It would go a way to easing my worry about killstreaks if they also added a multiplier to the BEP you're worth (something like a 1.05 multiplier +.05 per additional killstreak) on top of the multiplier for vehicles.

Recently had a vision if the quick-knife is insta-gib. A cloaker sits infront of a locked door. An infantry runs out, gets stuck on the cloaker, cloaker knifes him, repeat. Knifes need to be 2 hit to kill, just like sniper rifles.
As they have said the weapons are going to be more lethal, I hope the knife kills in one hit and I really hope the sniper riffle does to especially with head shots (PLEASE PUT HEAD SHOTS AND WEAK POINTS IN THE GAME SOE)! PlanetSide 2 should be a harder game then the first one concentrating on tactical skills and thinking and team work rather then just 100s of guys shooting at each other full magazines to get one kill thats noob stuff. The first person to get the first few accurate shots off should always win. I hope planetside 2 is more realistic, darker and the most advanced shooter the world has ever seen. It would be a good direction for this game to go and grow in these times of very realistic, dark and highly competitive fps's.

Last edited by Livefire; 2011-07-11 at 04:05 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Is this comprehensive list updated? I know Higby answered questions here and did some Q&A over at Reddit.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Is this comprehensive list updated? I know Higby answered questions here and did some Q&A over at Reddit.
Will be updating it over the next couple of hours. Got loads of links to add
Old 2011-07-11, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Okay. Can you put "UPDATED" in it when you're done, so I can fap some more?
Old 2011-07-11, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm thinking we will add most of this information to our PlanetSide 2 FAQ as well since there is so much information now it will be difficult to maintain a FAQ.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions