News: Instant Action: Pre Launch Concerns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Take a big whiff
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-28, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Instant Action: Pre Launch Concerns

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...cerns-2902.htm

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-10-28 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2012-10-28, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dalmaska
Private

Misc Info
Re: Instant Action: Pre Launch Concerns

this video is Private
Old 2012-10-28, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

I have no idea why it's saying that for some people - it's playing fine for me. Must be YouTube taking a crap or something. :\

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-10-28, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

It's funny, it says that for me too but when I right click, copy the URL and post in a different tab to open it in Youtube itself it works.
Old 2012-10-28, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DSxGIIR
Private

I totally AGREE!...Releasing the game Nov 20 is so damn soon...there's a lot to fix and with new players coming to the game will be a huge issue if they don't know what to do.
Old 2012-10-28, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ringring
Contributor
General

I agree on the noob friendly bit.

I remember when I first joined and for a long while after I simply could not find my way around Zurvan .... it was all so so confusing.

I hope the devs have a good plan about what new players see when they first join. TBH, I hope they put it into beta and we'll test and feedback.

Despite our 'hard words' we really do want this to become a epic must play game.
Old 2012-10-28, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dagron
Captain

Yeah, those issues seem to concern everyone right now. But i must point something out about the proposed solution to the sunderer problem: I'm not sure how preventing them from deploying close to each other will make it easier for base defenders to get rid of them, because once one of them is taken out, another can just move in and take it's place (hell, chances are there is already one or two right next to it even if they aren't allowed to deploy). I think the problem isn't how many of them can deploy in an area, but how absurdly easy it is for everyone to get one.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-10-28 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2012-10-28, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Well... on the video tutorials bit, I did mention they should be accessible through the in-game menu. Or better yet, they should ask you if you would like to get informed about the basics when you log into the game for the first time ever

They could also pop up with a prompt if they would like to watch a tutorial anytime they approach something new, be it a large facility or a terminal
Old 2012-10-28, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
It's funny, it says that for me too but when I right click, copy the URL and post in a different tab to open it in Youtube itself it works.
This worked for me too.

Good vid Hamma. I'm of the same mind. (and I have other complaints as well)

I've had more than a few friends turn away from the game because they are confused and frustrated over the lack of a tutorial or start up info. The only friends that are actively playing it right now are the ones I've sat next to and explained things as they went along.
Old 2012-10-28, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Timealude
Captain

Video works now.

As for what you touched base on i agree with you on the new player experience, i have had 3 people quit the game simply because they didnt know what to do or where to go.

As far as the base defense thing i really think they need to bring those encryption timers back, they helped move the fight along, which is something I always felt planetside 1 didnt do a very good job of. I loved the long battles but they would start to become tedious and im seeing that very same problem in planetside 2 right now with them leaving those timers out.
Old 2012-10-28, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Crator
Major General

Good points Hamma. Love the preface saying PS2 not like PS1 with concerns that PS1 already resolved.
Old 2012-10-28, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rolfski
Major

Better then Totalbiscuits critique because it addresses a vital issue many PS1 vets don't seem to care about: making PS a commercial success.
Old 2012-10-28, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
RobUK
Corporal

The most frustrating thing about PS2 right now is that you can almost taste the potential it has. It's frustrating because when things fall into place, and the game works as intended, it's an engrossing time sink that eats up the hours just like PS1 did.

A good example being that the best thing that can happen to the TR on Indar is to get pushed right back to the foothold warpgate. Everybody is then forced to push out together to Camp Waterson and then usually on to Mao Tech Plant. It's huge fun and highly reminiscent of the original game. It's almost like having the Lattice back.

From then on though things tend to go down the pan as various groups zerg off in different directions and what was a huge battle quickly dilutes down to loads of uninteresting skirmishes with no real shape to the frontline.

One of the things that I miss most is Command Chat. Annoying as it could be at times, it's where we looked for direction and battle flow instructions. I hate the current text based communication system. The way it quickly fades and is gone makes it seem like it's only there grudgingly. Like many other things in the game it encourages the lone wolf mentality. I often feel lonely in this game, even when in a squad.

Most of my play time in Planetside 2 starts off OK, but pretty much always ends up with me asking myself "Why? Why are we doing this? Why are we heading off to this base? What purpose is there in taking it? Why bother defending it? What's everyone else doing? Where are they going?" After about an hour I'm fatigued with it all and I log out. I can't abide the constant zerging around in circles.

Hopefully these things will be addressed in the future. I feel more positive about PS2 when I hear influential people like TB and Hamma voicing pretty much the same concerns as the rest of us. I often feel bad about giving negative feedback about PS2. The devs are such nice people. Higby especially comes across really well and his obvious enthusiasm and energy for the game is infectious.

But, like other people, I want the game to succeed and I sometimes get a little over zealous with my feedback and end up regretting saying anything at all. I hope it all works out though. I will support the game with what is currently my PS1 subscription, and I will use the item shop a lot as well. Hopefully our continued support will encourage the guys to keep on developing PS2 into the game that we all want it to be.
Old 2012-10-28, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kail
Staff Sergeant

Good video! I know the first time I logged in to the beta, even with a PS1 background I had no idea what to do in the new facilities (the first time I was ever at a biolab, I just ran around outside for 15min and then left since I couldn't get in).

Personally I think something like the introduction in Assassin's Creed would be really nice - just to make the character interact with generators, capture points, etc.
Old 2012-10-29, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Like the video.

In my opinion to boost the initial new player experience, there should be a more prominent outfit advertising system, i.e. it should even be a MAIN terminal in the sanctuaries infront of you, as soon as you log. The game is meant to be played with a large group of organized people, running with the Zerg just doesn't do it justice, infact ide go as far to say its borderline unplayable.

There should be a screen that broadcasts "Here's Azure Twilight, they want you to fight with them and join them." There could be a rookie status given to you for a day. While you are allowed to join their squads, then the outfit can command you and promote you as they see fit. Maybe even automatically promotes you, after you have completed so many of the outfits objectives, or run with them for soo long.

Any outfit would be glad of the man power, and you learn the game alot quicker with helpful outfits who would be willing to herd the noobs.
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion