Outfits - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who still writes these?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-06-17, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Limnas
Private

Outfits

What are outfits?
Do i have to be in one in order to be useful in the battle?
How do i get in an outfit?
Do i need any qualifications to get in one?
(Please answer cause i really want to get in the team gameplay in this game)
P.S:Please take note that i don't know a lot about this game...
Old 2012-06-17, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Outfits

>outfits

Like clans. They have ranks, in game voice channels, chat rooms, etc.

>be in one

To be as competitive as you can be, probably. Each outfit can spend points to specialize in like better tanks, guns, etc.

>get in

Get an invite.

>qualifications

Depends on the outfit. Some outfits invite everyone (BLue lions, Azure twilight) and some are very selective like Delta Triad, KOTOR, and 1CMM.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-06-17 at 03:29 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Outfit = Team, Clan, Guild
You do not need one to be useful in battle. Especially now with the new missions system we'll probably see greenies being a lot more useful.
Joining an outfit is simple, we have some forums here that you can take a look at for recruitment threads.
Sometimes, but most of the time not... again just check threads and see.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Limnas View Post
What are outfits?
Outfits are organized groups of players. Equivalent of guilds, though leeroy jenkins need not apply I'd hope.

Yes and no. Yes if you want to participate in teamwork related battle. No if you are smart enough to figure out what to do and where to go completely on your own without any kind of information from other players. Probably yes.

Find an outfit that is recruiting. Though I advise you get to know it's members first before signing up. Just like joining any guild in any game though, depends on the outfit's own rules (which depend on it's leadership and blah blah blah).

Depends on the outfit you want to join.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

An Outfit could be as simple as a group of friends who play regularly and just invite people they like to play with. About a dozen people can make a big difference when they coordinate and know/help each others' play styles.

It could also be a large gaming syndicate stretching multiple games. Raid nights, strict code of conduct, application process, certification requirements, training or standard operations learning.

It all depends on what you want to be a part of, there will be plenty of in between too.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-06-17, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Limnas View Post
What are outfits?
Outfits are just a bunch of players that play together. In other games like EQ2/WoW/EVE they are guilds or clans or corporations.

You don't have to be one but it tends to be better to run with a group.
For example if you are in a outfit and you die you are more likely to get revived by a medic in your outfit then some random medic that doesn't know you. You also probably play a lot more together and learn each others tactics so you tend to perform better then random people thrown together.

You can join an outfit on day one if you can get them to invite you. Some outfits will be more social and let anyone in. Other outfits might have a recruitment policy and requirements on your certifications.

It is also possible to join an outfit then leave and join another if you find an outfit that is better for you and the outfit. So to start off with I'd say find a social outfit and join them. Learn the game a bit and run with people. Later when you figure out what you like to do you may decide to try to get in another outfit.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Arcticus
Corporal

Limnas,

Part of the fun of this game is knowing that you are in a group that can accomplish not only tactical success, but that can affect, strategically, the whole continent.

You might want to take a look at the Devil Dogs. We are a New Conglomerate outfit. It's not just about the fun aspects of capturing the random base here and there; it's about knowing that the objective you just met was part of a whole plan that succeeded in helping your faction and dealing out massive pain to the enemy.

Our web site:
http://www.planetside-devildogs.com/

And here's the link to our forums:
http://www.planetside-devildogs.com/phpBB3/index.php

Stop by and introduce yourself.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

You can be effective on your own to a certain extend, but it's outfits that change the course of the battles.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

Another question from a newbie:

If one character is confined to one faction and one server, how exactly will the outfit system work?

ex. I join outfit X and click server 1 because it had slots open and I have no idea how PS works, then I realize that outfit X is on server 2.

The example above can happen to more than one person in an outfit, effectively breaking some outfits. Is there a solution to this?
Old 2012-06-17, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by thegreekboy View Post
Another question from a newbie:

If one character is confined to one faction and one server, how exactly will the outfit system work?

ex. I join outfit X and click server 1 because it had slots open and I have no idea how PS works, then I realize that outfit X is on server 2.

The example above can happen to more than one person in an outfit, effectively breaking some outfits. Is there a solution to this?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean... How can you join outfit X on server 1, if it is actually on server 2? If it is on server 2, you won't be able to join it on server 1, because it doesn't exist on server 1.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

Well again, as I said, I am a noob, I don't know how the outfit joining system works.

I figure that they are community-created groups that play the game together, and players join out of game and play with the in game.

If I'm wrong, can you please explain to me how the system works?
Old 2012-06-17, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Well again, as I said, I am a noob, I don't know how the outfit joining system works.

I figure that they are community-created groups that play the game together, and players join out of game and play with the in game.

From what I've gathered it's a system similar to the guild system in a lot of other MMOs, the leader forms the outfit in game, and you can join said outfit, and you get a chat channel, etc. Lots of the guilds have their own external websites and Teamspeak servers and so on, though.

The main reason so many are recruiting before beta even starts is the old Planetside outfits are still hanging around and are really excited to see what happens.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gogita
Master Sergeant

This is a serious question: Have you played any type of MMO before?

If yes, then an outfit is exactly like a clan/guild in any other standard MMO (think of WoW). The outfit/guild is created on the server, therefore you can only join them if you are on that server. You will not have the problem that you stated before.

If no, then it will be slightly more complicated for you to understand. An outfit is the word used in Planetside for what most other games call clans or guilds. They are groups created by players on a server in order to have a relatively fixed group of players that they can play together with. The size of an outfit can differ depending on what they wish to achieve. There are outfits that are very small and contain people only that know each other very well. They only have an outfit so they can play together. Of course, it is not mandatory for one to have an outfit to play together. You can just team up and play together, however being in an outfit has some benefits such as having a certain name for your group of friends. Some outfits are huge in size, having hundreds of members. Their goal is usually to be able to organize large scale operations to aid their empire. An outfit can organize their outfit members to conduct actions that require more than the average teamwork, such as special ops type of assaults on a base, carpet bombing, tank columns, you name it. When you are in an outfit, you can always leave whenever you want if you want to join a different outfit, or if you just do not wish to be in an outfit anymore and just enjoy playing the game by yourself.

Last edited by Gogita; 2012-06-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Alright 1 page of posts deleted. Please keep it on topic .
Old 2012-06-17, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Alright 1 page of posts deleted. Please keep it on topic .

TY Goku

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions