Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-07, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Question alienware

ok, we've all seen the ads and the hype about them, and their specs are obviously hot.

triggar's considering getting a sentia.

that's all awesome and all, but i've been looking over usenet reviews of the company.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=al...-8&sa=N&tab=wg

they aren't good. i assume most of us are aware of the "usenet bitterness" that UF likes to poke fun at, and it's partly true, of course; but what i'd really like is to hear some personal experiences with alienware.
Old 2004-04-07, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
easypickings
Corporal

no body can actully aford them so noone really knows........

on paper they look good, i'm sure they are but are they worth the extra money just for the name ???
Old 2004-04-07, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sputty
Banned

People who can buy Alienware buy it for the name. there's no real advantage to spending an extra thousand for a green case, and maybe 2 FPS more
Old 2004-04-07, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Disconnections
Private

Hey I purchased an alienware and take my advise DONT GET ONE!!!!!! i'm making a tech forum to explain right now and someone please help me out.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah basiaclay your Payin near a k extra for a name, and crappy oem parts (basicaly what dell uses)

Now laptops are a different storie, those there(and even dells) look to mae liek decent priced machines.

Realize that one is a very light wieght machine, and it uses integrated graphics so if you want to do anything besides surfing or typing you may want to try something else

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

much h8 for all pre built PC vendors. Haven't seen one I like. Thus they keep me in business

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-04-07, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

gaming laptops suck simply because you won't get over 2 hours out of it without having to recharge. an LCD screen is hardly the best for gaming, especially a 15" one. some gaming laptops have 17" screens to fix that which makes them big and heavy kind of negating the point of a laptop. basiclly, it's good if you want to be able to take your gaming PC anywhere with a table and a socket to connect it. you won't be able to play COD for hours in the plane.
Old 2004-04-07, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vitter
Sergeant

My mother got me an alienware when I went into college. The machine was an abosolute beast until it started crashing everywhere.

Alienware tech support dicked around with my for months. We played mail tag back and forth, each time they said they fixed it and they did not.

The last time I got the PC back (after 4 months of it being inoperative) I tried playing it and, again, all my games were crashing.

I called up tech support and told them they had not done a damn thing, again. There responce? Oh, sorry sir your 1 year warranty is up. I then tried getting some help on their forums only to find out I was banned because my waranty was up.

I salvaged the parts I could and built my own PC, it's easily as good as even the best Alienwares, and will soon be better when I OC it.
Old 2004-04-07, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
smccord313
Private

Disconnections, see my post about ABS in your other thread. Check them out and see what you think. Haven't heard a bad thing about them yet.

StrikerTek
Planetside KAAOS
Old 2004-04-07, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

For a laptop, I'd probably go with IBM. They look great, perform great, and are very lightweight. They're also pretty cheap too.
Old 2004-04-07, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html Sager is a great company from what i hear. Powdahound had a Sager and he loved it. Alienware buys their laptops and paints em and such. I saw one of their laptops in Maximium PC or PCMagazine and i was drooling... here is the one i drooled over http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...oductType=8790

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-04-07, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Cyanide
Major

Alienware is crap for the most part. I like their laptops simlpy because of the easily upgradable video, but that's not even exclusive to them anymore. IMO the only person that can build you a decent gaming machine is you. Everything else is good for web browsing, word processing, solitare and nothing else.
Old 2004-04-12, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Triggar
Contributor

Yeah, if I wanted a sweet gaming desktop computer, I wouldn't buy an Alienware - I'd build my own.

But I'm looking exclusively at laptops with optimum performance and hardware longevity.
Old 2004-04-12, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

get a certrino with a Pentium M those things are nice CPU's alot of companies have them. Try to get a mobility 9600 pro for graphics too

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-12, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I have an alienware Area 51 with the highest specs availible. my only regret is that its a little on the expensive side.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum