Santorum Drops Out - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-17, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Santorum Drops Out

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I really wish people would understand that the more people you educate, the higher job requirements get. You aren't helping anyone but Sallie Mae. They get tons of money from students buying degrees to get jobs their fathers could get with a 5 minute interview and a GED.

The more education you have, the less education is worth. Knowledge works just like currency... because knowledge is currency.

Associate's Degrees are actually bad for you now, employers just assume you were too lazy to get a Bachelor's.

Giving everyone a college degree just means that McDonald's and Wal-Mart will require a college degree, while the company you got the degree for, only wants the guy with a PhD and six years internship experience.

There are tons of jobs that don't require any real education to do, but someone has to do them.

Education /= Wealth

Anyone can be a millionaire in a matter of years if they have the willpower and discipline to make it happen... even if they work for minimum wage.

Old 2012-04-18, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by HalfManHalfGod View Post
Capitalism and free markets transformed this country from a backwater colony to the richest most powerful country the world has even known. If you can't make it here, you're doing it wrong.
Just to correct you here, you're not the richest on a per capita basis, there you are only 15th. Most well-fare countries exceed you in money made per person.
Old 2012-04-18, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Figment
Lieutenant General

Btw, fun articles about Ron Paul with a lot of references.

http://thefbm.com/2012/01/04/the-str...y-of-ron-paul/
http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/12/g...-ron-paul.html
Old 2012-04-18, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

People still believe citing statistics is racist...

Old 2012-04-18, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
People still believe citing statistics is racist...
Interpreting them in particular ways in relation to race can be, yes. For example, it would not be racist to say the majority of crime is committed by certain groups if statistics say so. It would however be racist to attribute certain reasons or aspects to these groups in general and create unreasonable correlations.

Came across a few quotes in those articles that tend to do just that, or are at the very least insulting.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-18 at 07:33 AM.
Old 2012-04-18, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I don't know about the professors but statements like the one you just made there do not make you seem like a rational person with which to have a productive discussion.

[quote

And you would have done just fine in the US. You don't need to be in the 10% to go to college, but if you were in that 10% you'd be going to the state university of your choice for free. There's also local colleges, online colleges. The limit is not the money - its your own desire and effort.
[/quote]
No i'd be a lifetime in debt under ever increasing interest rates. Such a inviting prospect.

Individualism is a tough call for a nanny state supporter, but imagine for a second a world where people actually worked for what they have. Think of it, a situation where you control your own destiny and you actually get to keep the stuff you earn. It's yours.
Oh so you are against free education? you have to work to learn to read! Get a job and pay your own way through despite having to have a full time job to get enough money to live and to pay for the education. Imagine the inspiration they will serve to those who cant read!
Really, its not like they are handing out degrees for free, you still have to work for them. Except you wont have to work a job at the same time in order to feed yourself and you can concentrate on your education.

Sure the free ride get-everything-handed-to-you is less effort, less productive to society, and could get you by, but that's as far as you'll go.

Since you seemed to use it as an example of a better society, Britain has less socio-economic mobility than the United States. Fewer people move up the socio-economic ladder than in the US. All that health care, handouts, gunlessness, and free-ride education doesn't do anything to improve people's lot in life. Maybe there's more to success than trying to balance the scales, eh?
Hey, at least we dont have people going bankrupt for the sheer temerity of getting an illness, Still in the top-10 economies and four times less murders than the US.

At least with our system, people have the opportunity of a level playing field with the rich. If people dont take it, sucks for them.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
HalfManHalfGod
Private

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Just to correct you here, you're not the richest on a per capita basis, there you are only 15th. Most well-fare countries exceed you in money made per person.

Just to correct you here, US is by FAR the richest country. None of this per capita basis to fudge the numbers to small rinky dinky countries.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Figment
Lieutenant General

Just to correct you here, US is by FAR the richest country. None of this per capita basis to fudge the numbers to small rinky dinky countries.
lol.

You want an example of fudging numbers?

"We got 300 million moneys! We also got 300 million peoples! Nobody else has 300 million moneys, so we are the wealthiest country in the world!"

That's simplistic thinking. You may have BY FAR a bigger sum of money, but also BY FAR a much larger amount of citizens than most smaller nations. SO OF COURSE you have a bigger sum. That doesn't actually say anything about wealth or prosperity! It's the wrong number to look at and it's obscuring reality!

Here is your reality check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...al)_per_capita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

If you want to claim that - as a populace - you are the most prosperous, then you look at a per capita basis.

Also:

rinky dinky definition

And Wildguns wonders why Americans are not always equally appreciated everywhere. >_>

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-18 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
HalfManHalfGod
Private

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
SO OF COURSE you have a bigger sum.

And Wildguns wonders why Americans are not always equally appreciated everywhere. >_>

Thanks, I knew you'd agree with me.

Sorry typo meant rinky **** as in, Insignificant; unimportant.

Blame our public schools systems, they are like the suck.

Last edited by HalfManHalfGod; 2012-04-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Figment
Lieutenant General

Thanks, I knew you'd agree with me.
Just that the sum is rather irrelevant when talking about wealth. Qatar >>>>>>>>> USA in THAT respect.

EDIT: insignificant is not exactly true. You'll become aware of that one day.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-18 at 10:21 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-18, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Old 2012-04-18, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Figment
Lieutenant General

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/education/10educ.html

This sort of article, maybe?

Btw, does that wiki article state if demands on the student to get into secondary education are higher in the UK than in the USA?

Or this one:
http://www.edgetech-us.com/map/EduLvls.htm

Seems the south east is underperforming at least.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-18 at 11:08 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-18, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Old 2012-04-18, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
HalfManHalfGod
Private

The sad truth is that most the money goes to supporting the giant bureaucracies rather then into the classroom.

Watch "Waiting for Superman" on netflix, it really spotlights the American public school systems.

Last edited by HalfManHalfGod; 2012-04-18 at 11:54 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum