A question to those that actively avoid guilds and voice comms - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not animal tested
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-07-24, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Crator
Major General

Re: A question to those that actively avoid guilds and voice comms

^^^ That isn't exclusive to voice comms. as it can happen without them!
Old 2012-08-01, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tycho
Private

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Why?

Yes. I know you must get it a lot, but I am curious. Its next to unfathomable to have any real legitimate reason to not want to be in a guild, or be adverse to at least listening to voice comms in an MMO, nevermind an MMOFPS.

Yet, some people are.

So my question is this, why? what about it makes it something you want to avoid? What led you to that conclusion?

I am genuinely curious about the reasons behind this.
I generally dont want to be in a "guild" because I dont want some moron telling me how to play a game. If I screw something up I dont need some 14 year old snot nosed kid telling me how much I suck. Its a game. Get over it. I have been a part of a number of groups/guilds in different games. Its all a lot of high school drama that I just dont want to deal with. I have a close group of 4 friends that I try to game with regularly. But were all adults with jobs and families so sometimes its hard to coordinate. We dont set up any guilds we just group up and play with our own vent/ts server.

I use comms all the time. I dont like logging into someone elses comm and here them scream to mom that their hungry. I dont want to hear pot heads talk about how high they are. I dont want to hear people talk about how drunk they are. I'm an old guy with a family. I dont need them hearing that crap over the comms. I just want to play and coordinate gameplay. Ive had good and bad experiences logging in on someone elses comm. Sometimes it works out and I enjoy working with them. Most of the time they just annoy the crap out of me and I leave.

To be honest I do want to find a good outfit for Planetside 2 and coordinate using voice comms. Is there an old guy outfit anywhere?

Im really not that grumpy...
Old 2012-08-01, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rebask
Private

I tend to play fairly irregularly, and can disappear from a game for stretches. Rather than annoy guilds with that, i just don't bother.
Old 2012-08-03, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I generally dont want to be in a "guild" because I dont want some moron telling me how to play a game. If I screw something up I dont need some 14 year old snot nosed kid telling me how much I suck. Its a game. Get over it. I have been a part of a number of groups/guilds in different games. Its all a lot of high school drama that I just dont want to deal with. I have a close group of 4 friends that I try to game with regularly. But were all adults with jobs and families so sometimes its hard to coordinate. We dont set up any guilds we just group up and play with our own vent/ts server.

I use comms all the time. I dont like logging into someone elses comm and here them scream to mom that their hungry. I dont want to hear pot heads talk about how high they are. I dont want to hear people talk about how drunk they are. I'm an old guy with a family. I dont need them hearing that crap over the comms. I just want to play and coordinate gameplay. Ive had good and bad experiences logging in on someone elses comm. Sometimes it works out and I enjoy working with them. Most of the time they just annoy the crap out of me and I leave.

To be honest I do want to find a good outfit for Planetside 2 and coordinate using voice comms. Is there an old guy outfit anywhere?

Im really not that grumpy...
I know that feeling...
Old 2012-08-07, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
bjorntju1
Captain

Arrow Re: A question to those that actively avoid guilds and voice comms

The reason I am not in a guild or clan is because almost every one is so ''serious''. You must show up at this time to ''train'' for a clan match or do a raid. And I don't want that. I want to play when I want to and not when someone else wants. It's a game and I play games to have fun. I don't mind being in a social guild where everyone can join, and where you can play when you want. And if you want to join a raid or whatever you can just sign up for it (or however that works, I don't play WoW type games)

The reason I don't use voice comms is because I live at home and I don't want to bother my parents with talking in a mic. Especialy because my mother mostly works nightshifts, so she is asleep during the day and continually speaking into a mic just makes to much noise. Not to forget I am dutch and even though I can speak and write English very well (imo) I just have a huge Dutch accent and that makes it very hard to understand me.

However I don't mind listening to other people (well, only if those aren't whiny kids) and I use chat regularly.

I also don't really actively avoid guilds or clans or something. If someone asks me to join them, I don't really mind to take a look on their website and see what is what. But since most of them are so ''serious'' I mostly just don't bother. I'd rather play a game with some friends, squadding up and stuff. Hell, the first thing I do in games with have Squads is join one when the game starts.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-08-07 at 04:26 PM.
Old 2012-08-07, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
AshOck
Private

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Why?

Yes. I know you must get it a lot, but I am curious. Its next to unfathomable to have any real legitimate reason to not want to be in a guild, or be adverse to at least listening to voice comms in an MMO, nevermind an MMOFPS.

Yet, some people are.

So my question is this, why? what about it makes it something you want to avoid? What led you to that conclusion?

I am genuinely curious about the reasons behind this.
Legitimate reason? the only reason I need to play a game is FUN

I enjoy the competition mostly. Obviously competing against people is much more of a challenge
than AIs in offline games.

I guess you could say I'm antisocial. Never really found anything positive in
joining an outfit. I only really get along with specific types of people and don't have much tolerance
for most of the other types.

Voice comms? hell no. I really don't want to be listening to a bunch of people/kids screaming and yelling and
laughing and telling jokes while I'm playing. It's very distracting and adds nothing to the game itself.
Old 2012-08-07, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

So thats interesting. Would you join a guild if you found one that wasn't ultra serious as you refer to it?

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-08-08, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Spiah
Private

For me it's two reasons.

I'm currently about to enter my Senior year of HS. I have college applications, sports, homework and more. I have a really busy schedule. While I like to play games, I can't base my life around them. This makes it really hard to commit to things inside of a guild (outfit, clan, whatever you want to call it)

Also, voice. I have a mic, but I hate using it. This is mostly because of the attention I get for being a girl on vent, people seem to disbelieve it and it just generally doesn't go well. It also puts me on the spot, and the lovely self consciousness comes in to play. I play so much better when on mic, so I really should go on more..

If I can find an outfit that is super flexible in terms of committment, and really doesn't care about gender? I'll have a go for sure.
Old 2012-08-08, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I tend to be the guy that starts a 'guild' or inherits it from the 'snot nosed 14 year old'. After that, things tend to be reasonable for the most part since I have zero tolerance for drama, and any 'ism'. But when I'm being a joiner, I tend to keep to myself more since I know what happens in the archetypal guild when someone like me starts... participating.

Old 2012-08-10, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Well, I'm a kid (13 years old), and during the school year I can only play on weekends, and that right there stops me from joining many groups. I also suck at most games and don't put that much commitment into them. Also, the mic on my computer never seems to work. I think it's broken.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion