Strategy? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Matt Higby's Hair Appreciation Society
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-25, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Yea, the outfit I'm in on Werner do loads of tactic-shouting over TS.
Old 2004-03-25, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Incompetent
You don't do a bunch of stupid drills on how to walk in formations so your easy targets for plasma spam, you teach your soldiers how to react intelligently to the world around them. Having a bunch of cardboard cutouts who need to be spoon-fed orders is a recipe for disaster. You shouldn't have to tell your soldiers what to do for any given situation, they should know what to do instinctively, and they should be adept at improvising based on the situation. Now, that doesn't mean that a level of organization isn't important, just running into battle and relying solely on initiative is an extremely bad idea, but when you start dictating to an individual exactly what he should be doing instead of letting the individual analyze the situation for himself your just asking for trouble.
Really? Gee that's funny... BWC has been doing it. I'm sure you might have maybe once or twice seen us around.

Formations are to maximize the set of eyeballs that you have. This game is a numbers game- there are strength in numbers. If you have better control of those numbers, you come out on top. If you have three rifles pointing forward and one watching each side, you're not going to get jumped from the flank and suffer massive casualties.

As far as plasma spam, that's a non-issue. Standard spacing is 5-10 meters for most formations. My advice to you is, don't knock it until you try it. It's mighty amusing to watch some random NC try to jump your leading fire team only to have a second fire team appear out of nowhere as they complete the bound in bounding overwatch. It's highly entertaining when you have five guys engaging the same target at once- surgile Jackhammers quickly go the way of the do-do.
Old 2004-03-25, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
kidriot
Sergeant Major

things may change post surge nerf patch but before it was usually 2 or 3 man or often 1 man teams taking care of a lot of the dirty work while you pressed your numbers where you needed them. forming a �congo line� of circle-jerk formations is goofy. it�s not needed and often puts you at a disadvantage. I have experienced many congo lines get derailed by 1 or 2 excellent surgiles. (again, this may change post surge nerf patch)

when I think of the cream of the crop outfits and tactics I don�t think of fireteams and direct orders and chains of command. I think of one voice guiding the outfit and a heavy reliance on individual competence, speed and skill. BUGGER mentioned it when he said

*Everyone does what tehy have to do.*
you need a group of highly skilled FPS players (as far as skill takes you in this watered down FPS), determined support troops and a balance of certs. you can�t have an outfit of surgiles and expect to be succesfull. you need vehicles if you want to dominate. having the majority of the outfit certed in Mosq and Adv Hack was often a recipe for success.

be an excellent PS player. be offensively oriented. be aggressive. force the fight on your enemy. be able to be thrown into any situation and adapt. adapt in such a way that you succeed more then you fail. enjoy yourself and find likeminded people. DO NOT FORCE FORMATION BULLSHIT ON THEM.

think of a hand. the mind is the voice while the palm is the outfit while the fingers are the members. there is no strict formation but a loose assocation all working towards one common goal: feel those titties. get the point?
Old 2004-03-25, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by kidriot
forming a �congo line� of circle-jerk formations is goofy. it�s not needed and often puts you at a disadvantage. I have experienced many congo lines get derailed by 1 or 2 excellent surgiles. (again, this may change post surge nerf patch)
I believe it's "conga" but that's a moot point, I know what you mean. A conga line is not the same as a well-honed team operating with practiced tactics. I can easily counter your statement with "my goofy conga line has derailed many excellent surgiles". Your surge effectively goes away with a nice Jammer grenade. Then you're Cycler bait, and that's assuming you managed to get the drop on us to begin with.

What you've witnessed is Amateurs at work, more than likely. Also remember that there is a time and a place for everything. If you knew anything about what we are talking about, then you would know that these are primarily used outdoors when moving through combat zones. Indoors it's a whole different ballgame, and we can liken it to "indoor zergs". Surgile's strength is indoors with a CQB weapon. Outside, ranged weapons will drop you like a hot potato.

DO NOT FORCE FORMATION BULLSHIT ON THEM.
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about forcing anyone to do anything. Did I miss something?

feel those titties. get the point?
Any argument that you had, any point that was to be gotten was completely thrown out by this simple phrase. Have a nice day.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion