"PvE Sandbox MMO" based on PS2 universe? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Visiting this site won't leave your mouse sticky.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-05-06, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

"PvE Sandbox MMO" based on PS2 universe?

I would call this game,

Beyond Araxis

So I have been thinking for several months about this idea that the new Planetside universe would a nifty setting for a sci-fi MMO. The concept I worked out is like so,

Story Explanation:

A significant group of civilians/deserters from the three factions exile themselves to scratch a living off an asteroid belt that resides within the "goldie locks zone" of the Araxis star system. These people just don't feel that all of the fighting over Araxis is worth it, so they've struck out to do their own thing. All three empires agree to ignore these people, so long as they remain neutral and away from the planet of Araxis. As a gesture of goodwill, these off worlders were given some nanite technology for the purpose of limited cloning capabilities.

Player Motivation:

As is the case with any civilization, there are politics and criminals at work in the "off world" which drives the story of the game. Essentially, players will start neutral but will be able to join one of three factions at any point (they will also be able to change factions). This is similar to the Star Wars Galaxies design, only there would be "Republic", "Empire", and "Underworld" (call em whatever ya like SOE) which would be more like having two good factions and one dastardly, yet not quite evil faction. Each faction will have NPC driven stories and motivations, each with their own subcultures and conflicts.

Game Design:

The game would be made of three large space sectors, each with 3 Star Wars Galaxies sized/styled open concept planets (16km x 16km maps). So that's 9 unique asteroids and three space sectors.

When it comes to game play systems such as inventory (3D models again, please!), crafting, housing, pets, resources, "appearance tab", and the economy, this game would be a Planetside version of Star Wars Galaxies, because those are the parts of SWG that everyone enjoyed. Combat wise, this game would be a FPS exactly like Planetside 2, except that it would have NPCs and the rest of the standard MMO things, like quests and what not. This would make for a great marriage, because SWG hotkey/FPS combat was clunky, but the rest of the game was smooth and had a lot of MMORPG kind of depth to it. Granted, some people will not like it, but then people sure are praising TERA for being more fun to play than the traditional "hotkey combat" mmos.

"Space Combat" would simply be the same thing as the flight in Planetside 2 (which is very similar to SWG btw) without the land. People could get around on the asteroids via buggies or space ships.

Final Note:

There just isn't a game out there that offers the game play systems that made SWG a truly unique gaming experience. For as much as some people jumped up and down crying about SWG being a failure for X reason, it was simply ahead of its time and far more ambitions than what SOE could achieve at the time. By the time the game closed in 2011, it had a really solid foundation of game play systems (classes, crafting interdependency, community building systems, variety of things to do, etc). Using that as the inspiration for a new Forgelight game based on the SOE owned Planetside IP would likely be quite successful, because it not only maximizes the appeal of the Planetside IP to all MMO and FPS players, it further sets SOE apart from the rest of MMO world by actually having the balls to make a solid "sandbox mmo", complete with real physics vehicles and unparalled character customization.

Would this be a huge project? Of course, they'd be making another MMO! However, they could use a lot of the assets from Planetside 2 to make the basic game in a much shorter time than trying to make a similar project in a new IP from scratch.

Thanks for reading my babble... been bottling this one up inside for too long now!
Old 2012-05-06, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Atheosim
Captain

Re: "PvE Sandbox MMO" based on PS2 universe?

Planetside 2 pops would shit themselves and die.
Old 2012-05-06, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Planetside 2 pops would shit themselves and die.
lol... not if Beyond Araxis had absolutely no PvP at all. Incentive to play both games.
Old 2012-05-06, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Atheosim
Captain

So both populations would be fucked.
Old 2012-05-06, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I don't know if there is much point expanding on the PS IP in the form of an MMO just yet... however i don't quite agree with Atheosim.

I will definitely pick up different PvE titles again such as Diablo 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 4 or whatever for a change of pace, however i don't think they could fill the PvP gap that Tatwi is talking about.

I just don't think a PvE MMO based on Planetside would be very succesful until there is wider knowledge of the IP. I bet you a HALO PVE MMO would go fucken bananas on pre-sales, however... simply due to it already being a less than underground cult title.

Give it a couple of years after PS2 release and maybe it would seem like a more profitable idea. Thinking about doing something like that now, would definitely be dipping directly into a small section of an already limited fanbase.

Now, graphic-novels, merchanidise and any sort of single player games based on and expanding the Planetside 2 IP would be awesome!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-07, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info

This almost sounds like border-lands-esque MMO w/ out the monster-ish PvE, more NPCs. I'd dig it. Only problem; time divvying & selection.
Most people can play a few console games and maybe an MMO or 3, but with all of the huge titles this year, and slated for the end of this year and beginning of next year..... I am sticking with PS2, and a select few others.
I already canceled EvE online, and have had 0 time to play -any- games at all in the last month, and for the foreseeable 2 to 3 months (baby)... I hope beta coincides with my PCS move, and I will be jumping aboard, but wishful thinking.

Overthrown / BNuts - PS1

Old 2012-05-07, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Planetside is awesome and unique, but certainly not because of it's generic story. If you want an MMO with a sci-fi setting or three factions, they're a dime a dozen.

I'd recommend Anarchy Online or SWTOR for sci-fi settings or Dark Age of Camelot for excellent 3-faction PvP.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I think we should do the EVE/Dust thing. And make a Planetside MMO with spaceships. Probably won't be as good as EVE but just tossing the idea out there.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

Expand first with an RTS, then we'll talk RPGs.
Old 2012-05-07, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Garem
Sergeant

Not a slight on the developers, but this isn't the sort of game they've been assembled to create. They're a crack team for making this super unique PvP FPS MMO (with RPG elements a la Certs, Characters, etc.). They would not necessarily be a crack team for a game that is in the totally opposite direction.

I would rather expand on what we know they're good at. PvP. FPS. MMO. Space combat flows pretty well from this. Other elements might be added, such as RTS elements. But eradicating key components of the game are probably less likely to be successful, and would be in competition with the scores of similar games that already exist with crack development teams for that purpose.
Old 2012-05-09, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Planetside is awesome and unique, but certainly not because of it's generic story. If you want an MMO with a sci-fi setting or three factions, they are a dime a dozen.

or SWTOR
Have you read anything about this game at all? It's the definition of "not a sandbox game". Also, its flight system is complete and utter garbage.

No thanks. Ever.

What I want is for the SOE Austin team to remake SWG in Forgelight and set it the the Planetside universe. If you don't understand why I am not already just playing one of those other titles, then you never played SWG. And please, don't talk to me about some half assed, broken as hell emulator projects...

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion