H1Z1 and the cannibalization of Planetside 2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't be nervous, bro.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-04-15, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Re: H1Z1 and the cannibalization of Planetside 2

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
H1Z1 changes nothing with the ongoing development of PlanetSide 2.
Is that a good thing?

*Zzzing*

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 2014-04-15, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It's just that anytime something big or unexpected occurs everyone runs around like the sky is falling and the game is dead. They have obviously been working on this game for some time and it really indicates nothing. It's as absurd as saying landmark means planetside 2 is doomed.
My take on this is:-
people working for a company such as SOE move from project to project. This is a career development thing and also from a company's perspective allows one project to benefit from the hard-won skills from another/

So it's a good thing for the company and for the individual themselves. Exactly the same as when Maggie moved to EQN and prior to that we had a new Producer, with less stare-y eyes.

At some point Higby himself will move on too. Such things happen.

But I'm a PS2 player. I'm sorry that Clegg has gone as he did seem to be a good level designer and let's face it it's only with Amerish that the devs seem to have produced really good designs.

So I'd like reassurance for PS2. Specifically that after Hossin and Nexus there will be another continent in the works and one with a shorter developmental lead time.

ps congrats to Clegg.
Old 2014-04-15, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Zombie Post-Apocalypse is a dime a dozen, the PS2 crowd loses nothing but tourists. That crowd will enjoy H1Z1 for 3 months then return to there DayZ and Fallout 3 hobbies.

The only attention H1Z1 will get, that PS2 had months ago (or even half-a-year ago) is the flavor of the month gamers aka Tourists flocking to what's shiny.

What we have now is the relative "Golden Age" of PS2 as far as the pop goes, It will rise and fall with tourists flocking to the latest patches and consequently getting bored with it because of the immutable fact that no game holds your attention forever. It well never be at a point of "omg the games dead", NOT until PS3 is announced.

There is no "cannibalization" and PS2 is not dead, no matter how much you believe the conspiracy nuts. There's no fact that proves otherwise beyond shadow of a doubt. The money is still in PS2 for SOE as a business.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Deal with it.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-04-15 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2014-04-15, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
Zombie Post-Apocalypse is a dime a dozen, the PS2 crowd loses nothing but tourists. That crowd will enjoy H1Z1 for 3 months then return to there DayZ and Fallout 3 hobbies.

The only attention H1Z1 will get, that PS2 had months ago (or even half-a-year ago) is the flavor of the month gamers aka Tourists flocking to what's shiny.

What we have now is the relative "Golden Age" of PS2 as far as the pop goes, It will rise and fall with tourists flocking to the latest patches and consequently getting bored with it because of the immutable fact that no game holds your attention forever. It well never be at a point of "omg the games dead", NOT until PS3 is announced.

There is no "cannibalization" and PS2 is not dead, no matter how much you believe the conspiracy nuts. There's no fact that proves otherwise beyond shadow of a doubt. The money is still in PS2 for SOE as a business.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Deal with it.
Yaaaaaaaa........ Keep telling yourself that.

In truth there is room for both games - but they will have overlap. They both will have staying power.
I think many people feel like play PS2 one week then maybe H1Z1 another week and back and forth.
PS2 has epic battles regularly that nothing else comes close to matching with a scale of tactics that is awesome - H1Z1 isnt even looking at that.
On the other hand sometimes its more its fun to play careful and deliberately when death really sucks and 1 kill might take you 20 minutes to set up.
Old 2014-04-15, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
On the other hand sometimes its more its fun to play careful and deliberately when death really sucks and 1 kill might take you 20 minutes to set up.
20 mins for 1 kill? Sounds more like an RTS. While some of features mentioned here sound interesting, 20 mins for 1 kill is a bit much imo. I'll have to check it out, but if that's the case I'll be passing on it.

Old 2014-04-15, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
So I'd like reassurance for PS2. Specifically that after Hossin and Nexus there will be another continent in the works and one with a shorter developmental lead time.
This. I think this is the heart of everyone's concern here.
Old 2014-04-16, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
almalino
First Sergeant

I will try this game for sure. But then I need to split my time between PS2 and H1Z1. Good for me, bad for PS2.
Old 2014-04-16, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
I suspect that people expressing frustration aren't especially impressed with things like the direction, pace, and quality of "the ongoing development of Planetside 2."

So... while what you said may be true...
QFT

Not sure if its too expensive to put too much effort to PS2, but the development isn't quite as I expected, and the fact that the dev-timeline has been pushed back tons during the development makes me think losing some people from the project will not make all those cool things like Hossin or intercontinental conquest come any sooner.

Last edited by Vashyo; 2014-04-16 at 05:51 PM.
Old 2014-04-17, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post
QFT

Not sure if its too expensive to put too much effort to PS2, but the development isn't quite as I expected, and the fact that the dev-timeline has been pushed back tons during the development makes me think losing some people from the project will not make all those cool things like Hossin or intercontinental conquest come any sooner.
Well Muldoon posted a photo of the current dev team on reddit several deays ago, there were about 40 people and a dog. So I wouldn't say it's a small team by any means. But prorgess on new continents is painfully slow.

Read this from Higby from mmorpg:
Matt Higby: It’s on test server now, so we’re continuing to grow it. Our plan for Hossin right now, this is kind of a scoop, so we’re going to be releasing Hossin before we feel like it’s finished, because Hossin will take probably six to eight months for us to get completely done and players really want it now. And we know as soon as we get a continent in front of players, we very quickly realize all the things that we did wrong.
We’re going to be releasing Hossin with all of the facilities and all of the bases are going to be there. But a lot of the smaller outposts between the different facilities and the bases are not going to be the 100% handcrafted ones that we have on the other continents, they’re going to be more like stamped out ones, and over time, each week as we release new content, that stamped out base will be replaced and this one will be replaced by a fully featured tower base or maybe even a full facility.
So we’re able to get the continent out very early, we’re able to see what the battle flow is like on there and understand what type of bases we really need to put in these types of areas, and that will hopefully allow us to speed up the development a little bit, to where we’re not waiting for the thing to be completely finished, and then putting it out to players and spending three months fixing all of the things.
I'm not against copy/pasta bases if that's what it takes to get continents out the door but it makes me wonder (again) about further continents after Hossin and whether I'll be in a retrirement home by the time it arrives.

Here's a link to the interview. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-PAX-East.html
Old 2014-04-17, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Well Muldoon posted a photo of the current dev team on reddit several deays ago, there were about 40 people and a dog. So I wouldn't say it's a small team by any means. But prorgess on new continents is painfully slow.

Read this from Higby from mmorpg:

I'm not against copy/pasta bases if that's what it takes to get continents out the door but it makes me wonder (again) about further continents after Hossin and whether I'll be in a retrirement home by the time it arrives.

Here's a link to the interview. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-PAX-East.html
Finally good news then, might come to try the game again after it's been implemented just to see Hossin finally, certainly hope people get their asses of Indar when I play.

I'm pretty badly out of the loop here (since I havent touched the game or read forums for the last 6 months or so, lol). How about the small island thingies, did those get scrapped or whats the deal?

Last edited by Vashyo; 2014-04-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2014-04-18, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post
Finally good news then, might come to try the game again after it's been implemented just to see Hossin finally, certainly hope people get their asses of Indar when I play.

I'm pretty badly out of the loop here (since I havent touched the game or read forums for the last 6 months or so, lol). How about the small island thingies, did those get scrapped or whats the deal?
There's been no news about the battle islands. We know that one exists (Nexus), we know that continent locking is due soon - which means the intercontinental lattice - which means 3 battle islands.

But, we don't know whether 2 battle islands have been created and we haven't yet been told or whether they will simply duplicate Nexus another two times as a short term stop-gap.

Mostly we don't know.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion