Battle scoreboard - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now 10% less pointy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-06, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Binkley
Sergeant

Battle scoreboard

The battle scoreboard (the thing shown by pressing tab) has always been a mystery to me. This thing has either been broken since day one, it's a unfinshed function for some aspect of the game not yet implemented, or I just don't understand it.

Things that puzzle me:

For scoring purposes what "starts" a battle and what "ends" it?

On plenty of occasions, I'm defending a base where the enemy has captured the point but we are pouring out of the spawn and trying to recapture it and the scoreboard says "battle ended".

I'm fighting in a base and kill several enemy, I check the scoreboard and it shows I have zero kills, or sometimes I'm not listed at all, as if I wasn't at the battle (that is raging around me).

The points shown by the scoreboard appear to be the actual XP earned, including all bonuses and boosts. Makes it kind of meaningless, no? I "win" because I'm running a boost?

Sometimes I see players listed on the scoreboard with seemingly impossible scores (even accounting for boosts, etc.) A short battle at a small outpost with no armor involved and someone has 50K points?

How does air get counted? Aircraft don't stay in a base, or even a hex the way infantry do, often contributing to several battles simultaneously.

It seems that points scored from ground vehicles sitting outside the base, don't get counted on the scoreboard, but blowing them up from inside the base does count?

Does the scoreboard have any use for anyone?
Can anyone shed some light here?
Old 2014-02-06, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Blastuh
Private

Misc Info
Re: Battle scoreboard

The battle scoreboard confuses me too. Sometimes it will track thousands of XP and the top players will have 50+ kills. Other times it resets everyone to zero after only 10 kills or so.
Old 2014-02-06, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

The scoreboard is a pointless addition for people who like arcade shooters. If you are playing Planetside. Pay it no heed.
Old 2014-02-06, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Hold tab, look right, look down, notice current resources, release tab. Look back up.

I'm on a horse.

______

Seriously, "Battle Scoring" seems like it was an attempt to provide some semblance of a typical COD / BF end-of-round leader-board, only it doesn't translate well to Planetside's organic battles. If anything, such a leaderboard should be between Alerts, and score folks for how much they contributed towards the Alert.
Old 2014-02-07, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

LOL, yeah, I was on top of that score board for a time last night, so it must be broken. I jsut use it to keep my eye on certs, resources and how an alert is going.
Old 2014-02-07, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Ye its completely broken from what I've seen of it, sometimes see people with 50-100 kills while it says I'm not in it, sometimes I'm top, it just makes no sense at all. As was said best just ignore it and get on with the kill
Old 2014-02-07, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Falcon_br
Captain

It is broken, but it is also fun.
Sometimes I am on first and I tell the rest of my outfit to do the same.
Sometimes the worst player is playing with a medic and tons of revive grenades and is on first and I tell everyone to go play medic if they want certs.
Sometimes someone from the outfit that hasn´t played for days it is on first with 100+ kills in one base and everyone says, wtf?

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2014-02-07, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Correct me if I'm wrong but near as I can tell from in-game experience and not actually looking up something official...

The "Battle Starts" as soon as someone tags a control point, at which point the scoreboard starts tracking everything.

The Scoreboard supposedly stops tracking once the battle is over (When the screen flashes "Faction has defended the Facility!" or "Faction has Captured the Facility!").

Scores can be skewed by say X player who's been at that facility all day just farming certs.

When a facility is defended it just stops tracking, but when a facility is captured it clears the scoreboard entirely (I think it's reset?).

The Scoreboard stops tracking your Score for X facility as soon as you exit the zone, but it saves where you were at. If a battle starts somewhere else and you are in that zone then any previous scores you had in other fights is cleared from the board and reset.

I think there's a range limit for being in the zone, Not just reading that your in the zone on the map but you need to be close enough to see the progress timer for Objectives in order to have your score tracked.

All together this tracking system needs to be replaced in its entirety.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-02-07 at 02:31 PM.
Old 2014-02-07, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Not only that but any sort of scoreboard needs to be unaffected by XP boosts of any kind like our current one is. That alone makes it completely unreliable for any sort of information.
Old 2014-02-07, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

My question would be, if the scoreboard were to score contributions towards the current/last alert, how would you score someone "contributing"?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion