Kill Cams? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You�re a very, very bad man.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Kill Cams in PS2?
Yes Kill Cams, please. 5 4.95%
No Kill Cams, thank you. 96 95.05%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-08-03, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Duddy
First Sergeant

Re: Kill Cams?

Whilst I don't want to see a kill cam, a short snppit about what killed you might be interesting.
Old 2011-08-03, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I want a deathcam instead... That cam shows you your falling corpse with 0.1x speed... With this music:

---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tJW9MDs2M---
Old 2011-08-03, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Haha, I'm definitely in the minority here. I almost started a thread like this a week ago. I love kill-cams. Two scenarios for your imaginary pleasure:

1) OSOK sniper kills have been confirmed by Matt, so imagine you're running about a mile from the spawn point, across a long bridge, and towards a tower on the other side. You've been running for more than three minutes, and just as you approach the tower, a sniper insta-kills you from the top of a distant mountain. You have no idea where the shot came from or how to avoid suffering the same fate again. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a kill-cam so you could get revenge or know where to take cover from next time?

2) You are that same sniper, watching a newly spawned player run across the bridge towards the tower. You check your blindside and then steady your rifle for the kill. Knowing that he'll probably be able to track you down after seeing the kill-cam, you activate your sniper-specced cooldown "stealth" ability that prevents enemies from seeing the kill-cam after your shot.

---

I just don't see the downside to having this feature. If done right, it would benefit everyone and make the game more enjoyable. As a few mentioned, Infiltrators might seem to be at a disadvantage, but it's not like they stand in the same place knifing one guy after another -- they're constantly moving and avoiding detection anyway, so even if someone caught them on the kill-cam, they'd be long gone by the time their victim respawned.

-HC13
Old 2011-08-03, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Vancha
Colonel

^
That just sounds obnoxious.

I wouldn't mind a "death cam" of some sort though, perhaps a rotating camera from above your lifeless body with arrows at the side of the screen pointing towards nearby "advanced medics" (whatever the PS2 equivalent will be, if any).

Edit: Or maybe you "die" in first person view, and the arrows are on the hud of your helmet or something. You could add some flavour info too, like where you got shot, or the names of people who damaged you and how much damage they did.

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-08-03 at 09:09 AM.
Old 2011-08-03, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Canaris
Contributor
General

How about an etheral Lee R Ermy shows up and boots you in the ear and calls you a failure for dieing? Who'd want to keep dissapointing Gunny!

As to the topic at hand speaking as a sniper, no thanks mate I work my ass off sometimes to set up behind the enemy lines.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2011-08-03 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2011-08-03, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Infektion
Sergeant Major

I only agree for killcams if the kill was at a certain proximity.
Old 2011-08-03, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
I only agree for killcams if the kill was at a certain proximity.
I cant agree because if you see who shot you and from where if this "killer" was in a defensive position with his squad holding a tower or base the "killed" now knows how it is all set up and how to avoid it. Either play smart or learn from trial and lots of error. Kill cams are for death match fps games to avoid sniping campers.
Old 2011-08-03, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
DreaM
Private

Next thing people will be asking for taunt animations that can 1 shot people.
Old 2011-08-03, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
duck
Sergeant

One of the most annoying features of Bad Company 2 was the killcam. Everytime I went into a non-hardcore server (where it is enabled) and kill somebody, they would know my position and soon after I would get killed by the same guy because he would go completely out of his way to find me since he knew where I was

No killcam for PS2 please
Old 2011-08-03, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Whilst I don't want to see a kill cam, a short snppit about what killed you might be interesting.
when someone dies it is always because of stupidity. although i hope to see the thing in chat that shows what faction and what weapon they used come back in ps2.
Old 2011-08-03, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Raymac
Brigadier General

Well I was on the fence before, but the poll is a little lopsided. I have a tendency to go for revenge kills anyways, and part of the fun is the hunt. Not knowing exactly where they are, but having an idea of the direction. We didn't need killcams in PS1, guess we don't need them in PS2 either.

Old 2011-08-03, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I like the kill cam variety that simply looks in the direction of the shot the got you from your current, dead position.
Sort of a hybrid of the current dead-hover-cam and one that goes over your attacker.

I also like the idea that you get told what killed you to some extent...like in BC2, you get told what weapon and attachments got you.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-08-03, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

No No No! that is all
Old 2011-08-03, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
1. The giant tracers in PS gave your position away admirably. There was no such thing as a sneaky kill. Except, possibly, for flak vs air. Cloakers can have their position given away easily since they just killed you.. You knew where they were then.

2. Kill cams come in two varieties. Some show the killer, some show you being killed.

3. Cashfoyogash: PS was never really about that sort of tactical gameplay. I'd say even the battlefield games were closer to that ideal than PS was. Its a run around full speed guns blazing game a lot of the time.

I vote no though, just because they are annoying.
I agree with all 3.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I like the kill cam variety that simply looks in the direction of the shot the got you from your current, dead position.
Sort of a hybrid of the current dead-hover-cam and one that goes over your attacker.

I also like the idea that you get told what killed you to some extent...like in BC2, you get told what weapon and attachments got you.
I also agree with this.

I'd like to see your death shown, a close shot of you (which will be nice, as a way to enjoy all your cuss-tim-iz-ay-shun in a strictly 1st person game) or your vehicle, from an angle that shows the shot coming in towards you. This gives you a vague sense of direction, without directly giving away the position of your killer, and without showing the state of affairs directly around your killer (and thus revealing defenses, the enemy's squad dispositions and positions, etc).

As CutterJohn points out, we've got tracers that already give away this information (but that the person dying often isn't in a position to see himself). Thus, such a camera doesn't give away too much new information, yet provides enough for the player to learn from his mistakes -- the biggest argument for putting kill cameras of some sort in.

As Rbstr suggests, I'd like to see information on what, including modifications, the person used to kill me. This helps to familiarize yourself with weapons and modifications, expanding your knowledge of the game mechanics in the process. It will also help you to spot upgrades you may want in the future -- "wow, lots of people who kill me use X, it must be pretty decent."
Old 2011-08-03, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Highwind
Corporal

Though not a true "kill cam" in the sense of the word, I think there is a place for a floating cam around the player when they die, like in PS1. I would give them a larger view of the battle and surrounding allies (like adv medics attempting to rez). It could initially point in the direction of the killing blow before floating around the player, you have to think we will be locked in first person and it would be cool to have this "zoom out" with the camera as you die and leave your body.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Clearly we don't need to highlight the killing player, but there is a place for post-death unique camera angles I think.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion