Aerial Bases - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Too cool for Wikipedia.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-04, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

Aerial Bases

Think of it, bases floating in midair, or maybe on huge pillars kept taut by the rotaion of the planet. This way, you would be required to be proficient in every aspect of the game to be able to achieve continental locks.

Maybe it could be connected to sets of teleporters on the ground in special towers that connect to all sorts of parts of the base. This way you CAN attack from the ground and noobs would be able to at least get there without a ride.

Next, you could add more air vehicles more easily by only allowing them to be produced far above the planet, therefore it would keep the attention of the air superiority jets away from reavers down on the ground and would add more use to having new, smaller, faster dropships and other ideas for air vehicles. Maybe that idea would spark some interesting discussion.

(Made by Airlift)

I AM the definition of meticulous.
Old 2003-02-04, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
�io
Lieutenant General

That's a prety good idea for patch/expansion.
Old 2003-02-04, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Too much for a patch, good for expansion. it would total air war. thats a pretty cool idea

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-02-04, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
�io
Lieutenant General

Meh, with today's net a patch can easily be a few 100megs + which allows for a lot of stuff to be added.
Old 2003-02-04, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kyonye
Contributor
General

actually that is true. no point though if its going to take 5 hours to download. expansion disc is alot more accesible.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-02-04, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Flameseeker
Captain

Good idea. I was thinking a hovering platform, with little pods that were on the ground. The pods could be sniped out of, but you wouldn't get a good shot cause they were moving. When the base is neutral/out of power, the pods become inactive. This makes HART or a Galaxy the only way there. When it's empire controlled, only that empire can use the pods. Maybe they could be hacked, but while you were hacking a defender could pod down and shoot you. A hacked pod would be instantly camped though. Needs balance, anyone care to add some?
Old 2003-02-04, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

sounds to much like tribes stuff to me
Old 2003-02-04, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

Well, i really wouldn't expect it as a patch mostly becasue they are 56k friendly. Plus, if they are gonna put that much work into it it would have to be an expansion or it might not be worth it.

Of course, that kind of dedication may attract more customers, so........

(Made by Airlift)

Old 2003-02-04, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Maybe there would be another "coninent", or area, wich was actually alot of very small islands, and over the water would be the floating bases.
Old 2003-02-04, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Raganork
Private

That's a good idea, and maybe they could add gunships and little motor boats and ferrys that can't go in deep water so they have to stay in the shallow waters surronding the islands
Old 2003-02-04, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

Well, I was kinda thinking also of placing them directly above Tech Centers. That'd be awesome! Imagine what kinda battles would go on between the air forces from above and the infantry from below.

But really they would work nearly anywhere. Especially near tech centers and dropship centers because of their base in aerial vehicles already. Another thing that it would add would be having to have an insanely high flight ceiling. I'm talking bases kms up and then a good distance above that for flight room around bases.

I think the most interesting part about the idea is not the vehicles, but the extra dimension in which you have to attack and defend. Commanders with a true understanding of aerial combat tactics would be legendary and new commanders could definitely get their challenges in. The amounts of strategic possibilties with an MMO like this can be endless.

(Made by Airlift)

Old 2003-02-04, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

OMG i'd love to jump off!
Old 2003-02-05, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
TheGreatCarbini
First Sergeant

I don't know if would work. It sounds kool but this game already has plenty of things to fight in and capture, i think floating platforms would just cheapen the game and make it a crazy ""battle everywhere for no reason" game. That's why they didnt put in naval stuff to start i assume. It seems kool but i think the game would just get to awkward with something like this.
Old 2003-02-05, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ludio
First Sergeant

This is an interesting concept, but I think that it may shift the focus too far away from ground combat. If they were going to add more base types I would rather see large scale above ground bases (cities) so that we could have some urban combat.

Last edited by Ludio; 2003-02-05 at 07:56 AM.
Old 2003-02-05, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Dio
Meh, with today's net a patch can easily be a few 100megs + which allows for a lot of stuff to be added.
Not if you want anyone to download it within a week's time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion