Will infantry be safer from arial attack in PS2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if Hamma still bothers to check these...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-04, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Will infantry be safer from arial attack in PS2?

The one thing I dont like in PS1 is how easy it is to pick off infantry with aircraft one on one. It really limits the infantry tactical game as compared to other FPS.

I especially dont like it with sniper and infiltrators. Basically the safest way to play grunt is in a huge mass and it really should be the opposite.

Now of course if you use anti aircraft weapons it fine if you light up like a Christmas tree and I I dont have an issue with being seens by other infantry at all.

Is it going to be harder to pick off infantry with aircraft in PS2?

EDIT: Because some people are creating a strawman to argue against me.
Im not asking for grunts to have an easier time killing aircraft. Im saying grunts that engaged in other operations should have an easier time hiding from aircraft - especially if you are actively trying to hide.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2012-07-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2012-07-04, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Re: Will infantry be safer from arial attack in PS2?

I don't know how it was in PS1, but I can tell you how it is in BF3. Horrible, but it is do-able. Just find cover as soon as you see enemy aircraft on the horizon heading your way and just avoid their line of fire.
Old 2012-07-04, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Anyone else picture a soldier fending off letters when they read the title?
Old 2012-07-04, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
WorldOfForms
Corporal

This brings up a big concern. If only HA and MAX can carry AV, what are all the other classes supposed to do?

That was the one method of defense infantry had in PS1 - to carry AV.
Old 2012-07-04, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

We definitely need a bit of healthy separation between infantry and aircraft. Aircraft shouldn't be able to see infantry that easily and infantry on the other hand, shouldn't all be running around with powerful AA like you would expect from an AA vehicle.

Hopefully the class system limiting AA to MAX and HA will achieve this. We shall see.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-04 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

By judging from the videos Ive seen it looks like there will be plenty of cover for infantry on foot. Vehicles though look to be sol.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Juturna
Private

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Anyone else picture a soldier fending off letters when they read the title?
this or the little mermaid
Old 2012-07-04, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kevin D Lee
Private

Originally Posted by WorldOfForms View Post
This brings up a big concern. If only HA and MAX can carry AV, what are all the other classes supposed to do?

That was the one method of defense infantry had in PS1 - to carry AV.
This is a team game. If you're playing solo you're the fool. I'll be playing with a squad or platoon at all times so that we have people for every encounter.

Roles are important in this game. To be frank an aircraft SHOULD have an easy time with infantry... this isn't a game for 1v1 balance for everything.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
OhFiddlesticks
Private

Planetside 2 seems like it'll have more cover for infantry. What I don't want to see is another Planetside 1 in that everyone and their mother is an AA gun.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kevin D Lee
Private

Originally Posted by OhFiddlesticks View Post
Planetside 2 seems like it'll have more cover for infantry. What I don't want to see is another Planetside 1 in that everyone and their mother is an AA gun.
That's more a result of everyone wanting to be a damn pilot.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Individual, non-AV infantry caught out in the open are going to die vs. vehicles of all types. Period.

In other news, an individual medic caught out in the open with a AI MAX is going to get slaughtered, and an individual sniper caught at point blank by anything is probably going to die. You will be caught at the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong gear in this game. It's up to you to minimize that.

If you have a local air superiority problem, get on your keyboard in a continental chat. Turns out, there are people planning to be mobile solutions to that very scenario, and they're probably hungry for kills.

Last edited by maradine; 2012-07-04 at 01:37 PM.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Murkie
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kevin D Lee View Post
This is a team game. If you're playing solo you're the fool. I'll be playing with a squad or platoon at all times so that we have people for every encounter.

Roles are important in this game. To be frank an aircraft SHOULD have an easy time with infantry... this isn't a game for 1v1 balance for everything.
Totally agree with this. If an aircraft comes across infantry that have no air cover or specialized anti-air, then hand held AA should not cause the pilot too much concern. Unless of course, it is concentrated hand held AA.. then it's a different story.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kevin D Lee View Post
If you're playing solo you're the fool.
Disagree with you here.. sometimes its nice to take a break and just run solo for an hour or so no pressure to live upto just you your rifle and 999 zerglings running infront of you..

However to the OP... for the most part players will be running in squads and thier is always someone that fills a role you cannot hence this being a team based game .

No vid I have seen to date has lead me to believe it will be any harder than PS1 for aircav to eliminate infantry so I suspect main ways to combat this is run with a good squad/outfit or play wisely and be aware of your surroundings or my personal favorite of leading the TR aircav to a vs Infantry squad and watching him switch targets as I run away giggling inanely to myself (hope thats still possible in PS2 )
Old 2012-07-04, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
WorldOfForms
Corporal

So everyone wants it to be the same model as in PS1 where an aircraft can play solo, while infantry can't?

I'm not advocating for solo infantry. But why do aircraft once again get to be the catch-all soloer's tool?
Old 2012-07-04, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by WorldOfForms View Post
So everyone wants it to be the same model as in PS1 where an aircraft can play solo, while infantry can't?

I'm not advocating for solo infantry. But why do aircraft once again get to be the catch-all soloer's tool?
Mobility mobility mobility
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion