Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My Mommy Says Your All Just Jealous!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-18, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Re: Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays

We've discussed and tentatively planned out a holiday for each empire to represent them. As for normal holidays we typically don't specify or Hanukkah. We'll call it something winter themed and run it for a few weeks at a time.

Realistically it's possible you are going to see themes around popular holidays because honestly? They are popular holidays. Who doesn't like doing Halloween content? There may be room for other stuff as well.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
AzureWatcher
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
I always thought that system was really good, and they also threw in a few made up holidays just for fun, such as the Lunar Festival and the Mid-Summer Fire Festival.
The Lunar Festival is the Chinese New Years. I believe the Mid-Summer Fire Festival is another German one, but I could be mistaken.

I would love holidays, but only if they don't overdo it. And Higby better be dropping presents from his invincible Galaxy in December or else I will be disappoint.

((The themed decals/ hood ornaments/ camo options in the cash store would be amazing. Black-and-orange camo for Halloween, Green-and-red for Christmas, light pink-and-blue for Easter, some egg and pumpkin and snowman/pine tree hood ornaments. Those kinds of things.))

Edit: Woot! Faction-specific holidays! =D

Last edited by AzureWatcher; 2012-07-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sephirex
Major

I wouldn't mind celebrating the haircut anniversary either. Give everyone gorgeous locks for one day.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Can each empire be a classic monster for Halloween?

If so, what would each empire be?
Old 2012-07-18, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Sephirex
Major

TR can be vampires.
NC can be werewolves.
VS can be aliens.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
morf
First Sergeant

The only fun thing about in-game holiday events is finding ways to grief the people who participate in them...

"STOP THAT U ASS THIS ONLY HAPPENS ONCE A YEAR"

bahaha
Old 2012-07-18, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Arovien
First Sergeant

I just want free things/holidays sales, k ty.

IDC if they present western holidays more or less than other holidays from across our spectrum of culture or if they introduce "AURAXIAN HOLIDAYS". It would be damn near impossible to "fairly represent" holidays from the many cultural background known to earth-kind.

Keeping it to the popular holidays is the proper way to go.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by morf View Post
The only fun thing about in-game holiday events is finding ways to grief the people who participate in them...

"STOP THAT U ASS THIS ONLY HAPPENS ONCE A YEAR"

bahaha
Someone's going to get a visit from the GM of Christmas Past.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

Oh MAN! Im so glad you mentioned Halloween. I know zombie modes are kind of cliche, but that sounds like the perfect event! Either bots that represent players that "came back wrong" or just zombie players that can only use melee weapons or something...

Really the possibilities are endless, I really can't wait to see where they take this.
Old 2012-07-18, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We've discussed and tentatively planned out a holiday for each empire to represent them. As for normal holidays we typically don't specify or Hanukkah. We'll call it something winter themed and run it for a few weeks at a time.

Realistically it's possible you are going to see themes around popular holidays because honestly? They are popular holidays. Who doesn't like doing Halloween content? There may be room for other stuff as well.
Hi RadarX, thanks for giving us some feedback on this.

Personally I like the content, but its the imagery that gets me. Don't just call it a December holiday and make it 100% Xmas-themed, its just as fun for players who appreciate it as it is alienating to players who don't appreciate it.

I think this is why I lean towards Auraxis-specific holidays as an alternative to duplicating real holidays. Sure, colored lights on trees if you must, but maybe color them based only on the Empire who controls the region rather than the usual set of colors. Sure jack-o-lanterns, but base them on Auraxian flora instead of traditional pumpkins, I'm sure Auraxis has other gourds that grow on it.

Or something completely different, which is more my preference. It could be a way to breathe true immersion into the game, and some Auraxian holidays could potentially be celebrated by players beyond the scope of the game. I like the idea of holidays that represent each empire too, that can be pretty interesting.

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
Either bots that represent players that "came back wrong" or just zombie players that can only use melee weapons or something.
That sounds more like a PS1 Battle Island event. :P

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2012-07-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

It is what it is. ♥ Gotta love Jack-o-lanterns.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-18, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Canaris
Contributor
General

Awesome news!

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-07-18, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
MooK
Staff Sergeant

I would love Hanukkah decals/outfits/whatever. It would be amazing if done right.
Old 2012-07-18, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SgtExo View Post
Who plays video games at new years?
I estimate I got somewhere between 10,000 - 15,000 hours into the BF series,.....you don't get that from just a couple hours here and there.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-18, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The Terran Republic holiday should be in July, which celebrates another Awesome nation...

Call it "Unification Day" where they celebrate the day when all of humanity united under the leadership and protection of the Terran Republic. Terrans celebrate their loyalty, the Republic vision of peace and prosperity, drink to Thomas Connery and other Terran heroes, and harden their resolve to bring unification to Auraxis. Curfew is extended for this holiday, and citizens are allotted extra alcohol rations.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-07-18 at 02:10 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion