crouching - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whorealicious.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-18, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
eybro
Private

crouching

I have been searching the forums for some info about crouching
my apologies if there has been a recent thread about it.
Does anyone know if crouching will improve aim or bullet spread in any way?

It would be good to be able to improve your spread when shooting someone at distance with mid-ranged weapons.
The way crouching lowers your profile so your head is at chest hight and reduces your mobility are sufficient tradeoffs to lower spread imo.

I think bf2142 used crouching well.. it was a good way to add accuracy without having people dive into prone all the time.
Old 2012-07-18, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dubious
Sergeant

Re: crouching

It does increase aim /bullet spread in PS1 so ill guess it does so in PS2 too
Old 2012-07-18, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Yes I would imagine it does... crouch + ADS... no prone though.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Can't really tell, but I'm hoping it decreases spread on all weapons, not just those in a certain weapon class.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
eybro
Private

In the gameplay vids everyone seems to be shooting standing up
making me think there might be no spread benifit when ADS crouching.

Maybe they are just bads

Would be good to have this confirmed either way.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

I hate to say this but the crouching benifit was little to none in Planetside also, everyone just run and gun with HA or spam.

Now if you had Med assault or Sniper the nyou would crouch.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

Couching would have next to no point if it didn't benefit your aim. This isn't really a run and gun kind of shooter. The game should reward you for aiming. Obviously the later years of ps1 don't do that, but that game has changed so much. And with the increased ttk in PS2, taking your time to aim should grant you a fast kill almost every time. Crouching should reduce recoil - period.

~Xen of Onslaught Member Since: September 2003
~XoO Planetside 2 Air Division Commander
~Recruiting Now! Check our our PSU Recruitment Thread Here
Old 2012-07-18, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Marinealver View Post
I hate to say this but the crouching benifit was little to none in Planetside also, everyone just run and gun with HA or spam.

Now if you had Med assault or Sniper the nyou would crouch.
Um..What are you talking about? Crouching made a huge difference in reducing your CoF bloom/recoil in PS1? The most obvious example was the Bolt Driver, which you could not aim over long distances without crouching. Crouching was used even beyond that for weapons with spread like the Sweeper/Jackhammer..A temporary quick crouch right before the shotgun fired would tighten up the spread ever so slighlty. It was a viable tactic when someone was far away.

tl;dr: Crouching made a huge difference in PS1. If it's modeled anything after modern shooter mechanics, crouching will improve accuracy. That's like one of the ten commandments of FPS games.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-18, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by PhoenixDog View Post
Couching would have next to no point if it didn't benefit your aim. This isn't really a run and gun kind of shooter. The game should reward you for aiming. Obviously the later years of ps1 don't do that, but that game has changed so much. And with the increased ttk in PS2, taking your time to aim should grant you a fast kill almost every time. Crouching should reduce recoil - period.
But right now it is run and gun.

I wasn't pleased with the gameplay so far, but maybe people were just bad. Wouldn't planetside 2 make use of cover? Everybody pretty much just run around, shoot while strafing with their extremely slow walk speed and hope the enemy falls before them. Thats absolutely horrid combat.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
But right now it is run and gun.

I wasn't pleased with the gameplay so far, but maybe people were just bad. Wouldn't planetside 2 make use of cover? Everybody pretty much just run around, shoot while strafing with their extremely slow walk speed and hope the enemy falls before them. Thats absolutely horrid combat.
I guess this is why they have the NDA

You can't judge the entire game based on what you've seen from beta. A few bewildered people running around with absolutely no idea what they're doing obviously aren't going to use cover effectively like a seasoned veteran would had he played the game previously. You can only expect so much from people who just got their hands on the game. Running and gunning is prevalent now because people are still unfamiliar with base layouts. They're just running around trying to get their baring when they come across an enemy and a fight breaks out. Later on down the line when bases are known and the general skill level has increased you'll be seeing a lot more people taking cover and playing cautiously when they know which areas are chokepoints.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-18, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dloan
Private

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
A few bewildered people running around with absolutely no idea what they're doing obviously aren't going to use cover effectively like a seasoned veteran would had he played the game previously.
I tried the game at the community day and I can certainly attest to this. Where am I? Where is everyone else? Where am I going? Where's the capture point? Trying to tell friend from foe were my number one priorities, not the specifics of gunplay, especially when finding enemies wasn't all that easy to begin with: the place is huge!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion