What do you miss? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's the ultimate in PlanetSide resources.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-24, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NichyC
Private

Unhappy What do you miss?

As you know, Planetside 2 will be radically new and different. There will be a lot from the first game that won't make it to the second. So what will you miss? This can be anything from old vehicles to styles of combat that are lost to the game. What do you miss?

Personally I'm going to miss the Galaxy Gunship and all of the buggies. Why are there no buggies???

But I'm also going to miss the large open-terrain warfare. It seems like too much of the warfare is being conducted at a base instead of between them because all of the open area is pocketed with little outposts.

I also think that they don't put enough emphasis on taking the actual base. There is always only one or two capture points in the base itself and the rest are spread around. You can capture the base without ever going inside it! Does that make any sense?

That's what I'll miss, but what about you?
Old 2012-07-24, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Re: What do you miss?

Most (all?) of the bases I've looked at in streams have had a majority of points inside* the base. Even if it's a 3/3 split, unless the attackers take all three outter points simultaneously and force a draw (in which case the defenders probably win), the attackers will always have to take at least one of the inner points, if only momentarily, to flip a base.

*The bases don't seem to have well defined boundaries, but there is usually a cluster of points that are much closer to the center of the base than the rest.

Also, why are you going to miss the galaxy gunship? It's still in PlanetSide 2.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

It still remains to be seen what it'll be like to spawn at Gals, but for now I'll say the AMS. The moving spawn point and the overall aim of reducing travel time (via AMS and Router) in order to improve battle efficiency is a very Planetside thing for me, and I don't know if it will have a part in the new game.

The Router was an especially interesting aspect of the game. Such a hilariously mysterious thing; you step through the telepad and you just don't know where the hell you'll end up. I've been semi-focusing on it the past month and I've tried to set up some sweet telepads, but it's a hard thing to do. Especially ones that are on top of towers or bases because you have to park your mossie there, decon and pull the router, set up the router, get the telepad, and hotdrop out of the mossie to set it up. It takes a lot of work and 90% of the time one end or the other gets discovered instantly or lost to OS. I really respect the cloakers that set up a telepad in the gen or something (and the multiple attempts it took for them to get to the gen), coordinate a time to teleport, and BOOM, teleport a bunch of people to the gen instantly. A very underappreciated vehicle that can totally break a stalemate.

Last edited by Bocheezu; 2012-07-24 at 11:53 AM.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I miss the VR training area, having Sancs, and cloaked AMS. Oh, and looting dead bodies/backpacks.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Synapse
First Sergeant

I will miss Combat Engineering.

auto-turrets are always a big thing for me. Tank obstacles were fun. At least I still get mines.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Jump jetting MAXes. So much fun.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Greenthy
Sergeant

Well from what I can tell the Liberator is pretty much the new GG.

I think I'll miss closed bases.
On one hand I'm happy we can get rid of the Brick wall you tend to mash your head against in PS1 trying to break in. On the other hand it worked for some proper tactics in less contested areas (prepping and holding a base with an outfit platoon). Although this last is less easy if it's :
- on few and huge continents (easily spot)
- with use pops (easily stomped)

My fear is that you won't be able to really do tactical stuff with your outfit aside from just going in force. One thing I love of PS1 is going in galaxies and dropping at a specific base to prep and fend off or clear a base. From what I can tell it'll be more of a throw our numbers there and see how we can push that place in PS2.

No acces here, so might just be ungrounded.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

Honestly. The only thing I miss so far is ant runs.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lumberchuk
Corporal

Speedy Vanguards and dedicated drivers and gunners.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dubious
Sergeant

Open fields with no buildings, just trees and rocks
Thats where you get the big tank fights, not between buildings..

From what ive seen in movies, PS2 looks like one big zerg fest
Old 2012-07-24, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zulthus
Colonel

Unique gameplay mechanics
Old 2012-07-24, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Greenthy View Post
Well from what I can tell the Liberator is pretty much the new GG.

I think I'll miss closed bases.
On one hand I'm happy we can get rid of the Brick wall you tend to mash your head against in PS1 trying to break in. On the other hand it worked for some proper tactics in less contested areas (prepping and holding a base with an outfit platoon). Although this last is less easy if it's :
- on few and huge continents (easily spot)
- with use pops (easily stomped)

My fear is that you won't be able to really do tactical stuff with your outfit aside from just going in force. One thing I love of PS1 is going in galaxies and dropping at a specific base to prep and fend off or clear a base. From what I can tell it'll be more of a throw our numbers there and see how we can push that place in PS2.

No acces here, so might just be ungrounded.
Interesting points.
PS1 had fairly linear paths for assaulting bases, leading to fairly rigid defensive and assault strategies. It enforced team work on the front lines since everyone knew the drill, while commanders tried to think of clever ways to break the stalemate.

PS2 seems to allows much more free form base strategy. This gives much more room for improvisation, giving large bonuses to outfits that can communicate well and strategize on the fly. But, it also promotes chaos in the non-organized, making the zerg more confusing and dangerous than ever.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ITOS
Corporal

Stalemates and bottle neck battles. While they are not fun if they go on for hours on end, as a support oriented player I do enjoy a structured front line.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rat
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
I will miss Combat Engineering.

auto-turrets are always a big thing for me. Tank obstacles were fun. At least I still get mines.
Pretty sure they recently said that the spitfire is coming back.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Novice bot
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ITOS View Post
Stalemates and bottle neck battles. While they are not fun if they go on for hours on end, as a support oriented player I do enjoy a structured front line.
I also agree that PS2 needs more bottle necks and choke points, they really create a sense of more structured warfare. currently, in beta videos there werent that many players around, but I really haven't been capable of spotting the "front line" anywhere in the videos yet. I just hope this game actually has gameplay that causes front lines to happen. Stalemates? Well, I'm surprised if they do not happen.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion