PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So how do I get to this PSU site, again?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #196
Phellix
Sergeant

Re: PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
My feeling is that I'd prefer servers be global. 24/7 mayhem.

We are apparently not yet at that point. Maybe when PS3 comes out.
Ah, hopefully we're still alive for that day
Old 2012-06-13, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #197
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

I live in Houston...

...so it better be Houston
Old 2012-06-13, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #198
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
From AUS to West Coast would be around 200ping which is good, whereas over on East Coast i'd say 260-300 area... Europe is 330-360...
DUde 200 ping is laggy as hell

we are use to play in servers east coast at 20 to 60 ping

if you get use to play in horrible LAGGY games we are not

and if you like Laggy randomness we dont

SO hell no this as to be change if its true

LAG = kill fps
Old 2012-06-13, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #199
SKYeXile
Major General

Yea i dont get why people are raging on Elcyco, yea yea, you can probably que up the line "first world problem" in his particular case, but having servers spread east and west coast benefits everybody and disadvantages none cept maybe SOE...but we're paying them.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-13, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Stew View Post

LAG = kill fps
You are aware your speaking to the wrong person, every aussie would prefer split east and west coast servers meaning you also could get that better ping, because playing with 100 ping would mean, THINGS ARE SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL IN THE UNPLAYABLE TERRIBLE LAG.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-13, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

I played on werner, but moved to emerald mainly to escape the constant plasma spam and (usually) higher populations . Since I often work until 9/10pm in UK , things were dying off in europe ,and east coast US its like dinner time and things are just kicking off.

Not sure if it will be so good if Im forced to play on ''Markov'' all the time. Occasionally people may warp (to me) that I could put down to ping. On flip side I used to occasionally be sent tells that I was warping on their screens and be accused as hacking when on my screen it would be normal.

Will euro players be forced to play on euro server this time? would break up some good outfits .
Old 2012-06-13, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #202
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post

LAG = kill fps
Where are you at, Stew
Old 2012-06-13, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #203
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Whether the difference will be serious will depend on the kind of netcode they're using. In Planetside 1 it didn't matter a lot for US players. 20ms was perfect, and 80ms was doable. 180ms was not. Still, East Coast players ended up on East Coast servers because they were given the choice, and nobody's going to argue with -60ms of latency. It's completely obvious that having East and West coast clusters will be better for everyone, not just Europeans and Aussies.

Maybe you're all solo whores or don't care about the people you play with, but many do. Many international clans have their eyes set on this game and would like it to allow them to play together without being hampered by latency.

If Hi-Rez can do it with T:A, why can't SOE do it with PS2?
People from all around the world are still playing PS1 on one server, i don't see the problem, it's obviously still fun for them.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #204
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Many international clans have their eyes set on this game and would like it to allow them to play together without being hampered by latency.
International clans can't ever be perfectly satisfied, because there will be Euros, Aussies, and Americans and you can't give awesome pings to all of them AND still have them all on the same server. All you can do is find something that's not hideous. Like some place over Texas, where you can bring the average ping times for the extreme cases down about 30ms rather than have some people with better and others with significantly worse.

Not splitting the servers up is also better for international clans. No east-west debate where the Euros and the Aussies fight it out over which one is more important for the clan. One server location, one choice. Simple. Maybe not awesome for everyone but Awesome for everyone was never an option to begin with for an international clan.

If there's one server location things get a lot easier. Sucks for you maybe if your clan has no aussies, but they aren't catering the server location for your clan's sole benefit. Many clans have aussies and Euros alike, such as The Enclave. I like the prospect of something in the middle so it's reasonable for everyone in the outfit. It's fair.

Most of the people happy most of the time. That's the best they can do.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #205
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
International clans can't ever be perfectly satisfied, because there will be Euros, Aussies, and Americans and you can't give awesome pings to all of them AND still have them all on the same server. All you can do is find something that's not hideous. Like some place over Texas, where you can bring the average ping times for the extreme cases down about 30ms rather than have some people with better and others with significantly worse.
No matter where you put the datacenter it will be better or worse for someone. Texas is no better than New York or San Diego in that respect.

If we're trying to be as fair as possible we should put it in a shack in Siberia so we're all screwed.

If SOE is hosting the servers in San Diego they are doing so for reasons which are deeper than trying to piss you off. My money is on money.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #206
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tarconus View Post
First off your "twitch" is your reaction time. Ping is how quickly you see something on your screen, then the twitch comes in. So the person with low ping and low twitch is going to be on a much better ground than anyone else.

Second, your ping is based on your connection and how your isp routes traffic not everyone's situation will be the same.

Lets put it this way me and you have the same reaction time, or "twitch" to a car stopping in front of us. We set up one car to have the break lights turn on after 50 ms of pressing on them and the other one after 200 ms of pressing on them. Who is going to stop before hitting the car and who is going to hit the car? That's what ping is it's not how fast you react to the situation it's seeing it before the other player does.
But PS1 and PS2 mitigate the ping by using CSHD. This means you and I run into each other at a corner and I have a ping of 200 you have a ping of 50. Sure you have a 150ms drop on me.

But in most situations you'll find the CSHD kicks in. You don't have to factor in lead time because your ping. Before you bitch ... play it and see. Then again people will still blame being crap on ping even if it isn't the real issue.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Pella
Captain

What you Yanks fail to realize is that most modern games are Peer 2 Peer. Where playing a game competitively, Your ping makes a huge difference and gives you a much better advantage over someone with a much higher Ping than yourself.

Planetside 2, will be like planetside 1. Hosted on dedicated servers.

So in a nutshell if your getting 150/200 ping it wont make that much of a difference fighting someone with a 20ms. I play planetside 1 now with 200/250Ping and honestly i wouldn't see any difference if it was 30. And anyone that tells you differently is an idiot and is just using there ping as an excuse for there aim.

Have a read through the wiki on game servers. And stop the crying please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_server

Last edited by Pella; 2012-06-13 at 02:43 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #208
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I played on werner, but moved to emerald mainly to escape the constant plasma spam and (usually) higher populations . Since I often work until 9/10pm in UK , things were dying off in europe ,and east coast US its like dinner time and things are just kicking off.

Not sure if it will be so good if Im forced to play on ''Markov'' all the time. Occasionally people may warp (to me) that I could put down to ping. On flip side I used to occasionally be sent tells that I was warping on their screens and be accused as hacking when on my screen it would be normal.

Will euro players be forced to play on euro server this time? would break up some good outfits .
I would HIGHLY doubt warping would be an issue in PS2, they should not be using the same code that predicts movement(not as the primary code anyway) and if by some chance they do still use it, the tick rate would have been upped significantly from planetsides 5 to a more friendly +15.
____

Anyway, the foreseeable issues i see with playing with a high ping is:

> Dying around corners more often, this goes both ways BTW playing against people with a high ping will mean you die around corners because on their screen you died in LOS, your 5ms ping will do you no good here if somebody else has 300.
> Increased delay on activation of things, while i expect most things to be still predicted, if your medpack or shield packet hasn't got to the server before somebodys kill packet, you dead, you just don't know it yet.
> increased Bullshit, ever had it where somebody is facing another direction but they're hitting you? this is because on of you has a high ping.
> increased TTK, typically a target wont appear dead on your screen until you get confirmation from the server a target is dead. so alot of the time you will waste those few vital miliseconds shooting at something that is effectively already dead.

Also i wont be the one crying when im killed because of lag, you will be the ones(again) crying at me because i killed you around corners or you effectively saw yourself gibed because my packets arrived at once. You might not see yourself as dead before you can react, but thing is, you just don't know you're dead yet.

I'm simply trying to save your tears here people, help me help you.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #209
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Aussies can play on the NA servers. Seems plausible that the servers will be in San Diego or thereabouts, which won't be terrible for Aussies. Even if its in the midwest it's nbd. No worse than the Euros. I found it intersting that in Seattle I got the same ping to Berlin as I did Sydney, so even if its on the west coast it doesn't seem like Euros will have any worse pings than the Aussies. So perhaps West coast is actually the most balanced place to be.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
^ This. Having East/West Coasts of USA and Canada on one NA server. Guarantees a fun 24/7 game. EU will have their own popular server. Don't know what the Aussies going to do though, maybe they need to learn Chinese. (:
From LA to Sydney I get a 188 ping so it wouldn't be unplayable for Aussies, better than anywhere else in the US for them that's for sure

Edit: Malorn. Stop that, you're scaring me

Last edited by Phellix; 2012-06-13 at 02:46 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion