PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please become certified in forum use before posting.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #226
Pella
Captain

Re: PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA

Originally Posted by Ant001 View Post
It's the same debate with every new game that comes out.
If it's hosted on dedicated servers then no matter what tech is used to compensate for high ping the fact is, if people have a delay at all then they wont play it.
Ping DOES make a huge difference in gameplay. Anyone with any experience in competitive play just wont play with pings over 90. Say what you want and baffle people with science but at the end of the day ping "delay" makes the game shit.

Sorry I forgot to add that the present Planetside seems more playable because of the spammy weapons and long arsed TKK. Planetside 2 is more like bf so ping WILL matter.

I know we will have a dedicated European server so I'm not to worried about it because I ping under 60 anywhere in the EU. But if I was east coast US I would not be happy at all right now.
I played BF1/2/3 and many other FPS competitively at a fairly high level. And yes i wouldn't play a competitive match with a ping if it was over 60.

But Planetside is totally different beast. You cannot compare it to BF3 they are hosted and networked completely different.

Last edited by Pella; 2012-06-13 at 03:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #227
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
I played BF1/2/3 and many other FPS competitively at a fairly high level. And yes i wouldn't play a competitive match with a ping if it was over 60.

But Planetside is totally different beast. You cannot compare it to BF3 they are hosted and networked completely different.
i think you will find they're not since mhigby is quoted as saying it uses a hybird CS/server model much like BF3.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-06-13 at 03:52 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #228
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Dear SOE,

Please separate the North American player base into East and West coast so players not in North America can have slightly better pings.

Thanks,
Handful of Euros
Old 2012-06-13, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #229
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
its only 87 from NY to Paris and another 87 to Moscow, lets host them there then.
Somehow I find that hard to believe. Even if it was, you're still leaving aussies with nobody except asia or 260~+ ping
Old 2012-06-13, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #230
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Phellix View Post
Somehow I find that hard to believe. Even if it was, you're still leaving aussies with nobody except asia or 260~+ ping
*facepalm*

<--Aussie.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-13, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #231
Corpse
Private

I wonder what would have happened if SOE had kept quiet on this matter and had just released the game with that one NA server.
I got a feeling that we wouldn't even have this discussion, especially if people can't easily see their ping in-game.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #232
Phellix
Sergeant

*facepalm*

<--Aussie.
-_- why u trolling me
Old 2012-06-13, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #233
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Nah they have to release that info sooner or later... better they do it now so people can vent and rage and plead and beg for a few weeks. Then things will calm down...
Old 2012-06-13, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #234
Pella
Captain

i think you will find they're not since mhigby is quoted as saying it uses a hybird CS/server model much like BF3.
Thats just mixing client and server-side hit reg which yes BF3 uses. But the whole netcode is the big difference.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #235
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
But last I remember San Diego had rolling brownouts, so maybe not the best place for servers. Or have they solved that whole SoCal power problem by now?
Dunno about San Diego much, but iirc it was because of something really bizare, like the electric companies were selling the electricity to out of state and shunting it off there.

When I first heard that I thought they were full of shit, but it being California and all I really have no idea if it's true or not.

Also we havn't had a brown out in years as far as I know.

I'd prefer not splitting the north American player base on time zone just so a few random euros that want to play on US servers get the best possible pings.

For a north American server, euro pings are obviously no the priority. Nor should they be.
International clans can't ever be perfectly satisfied, because there will be Euros, Aussies, and Americans and you can't give awesome pings to all of them AND still have them all on the same server. All you can do is find something that's not hideous. Like some place over Texas, where you can bring the average ping times for the extreme cases down about 30ms rather than have some people with better and others with significantly worse.

Not splitting the servers up is also better for international clans. No east-west debate where the Euros and the Aussies fight it out over which one is more important for the clan. One server location, one choice. Simple. Maybe not awesome for everyone but Awesome for everyone was never an option to begin with for an international clan.

If there's one server location things get a lot easier. Sucks for you maybe if your clan has no aussies, but they aren't catering the server location for your clan's sole benefit. Many clans have aussies and Euros alike, such as The Enclave. I like the prospect of something in the middle so it's reasonable for everyone in the outfit. It's fair.

Most of the people happy most of the time. That's the best they can do.
Are you listening to yo- Wait of course you are. Dammit Malorn why do you have to be right about so many different things but so extremely and utterly wrong about this?

Of course international clans can never be perfectly satisfied. Though as you said yourself that isn't even the point for international clans. All they want is a place that's good enough. You're right on all those points.

Where you're completely wrong is in thinking that since they can not be completely satisfied than trying to satisfy them at all is entirely pointless. That's a pretty bigoted thing to even think. Being in the US and playing on servers located in the US does not mean you're not an international player. Playing on a server no matter it's location makes you an international player and there many more people within NA than just myself who will be playing PS2 as international players. To think otherwise is just naive.

And even all of THAT is not the point of this thread. Everyone keeps getting side tracked with the Ping this or Location that. The problem is the possibility of a SINGLE server location.

All we're trying to be sure of is that there is the option for people to go either WC or EC.

Harken back to the Region Lock thread, one of (if not thee) biggest reasons that people griped about that was they did not want to be stuck to one server, they wanted to be able to play with their friends wherever those friends may be. I refuse, adamantly, to allow region locking in any form to happen without me at least trying to stop it, no matter how it comes about.

With a single server location in the NA it's almost the same exact problem as region locking was and is just as terrible an idea no matter what the excuse as region locking was for exactly the same reasons.

I know you're TR but damn, dude.

Originally Posted by Phellix View Post
Where are you at, Stew
I'd like to know as well, but for entirely different reasons.

P.S. It's because I want to murder him.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-13 at 04:12 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #236
Corpse
Private

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
Nah they have to release that info sooner or later... better they do it now so people can vent and rage and plead and beg for a few weeks. Then things will calm down...
My point was more that people would probably not notice anything.
Of course the info will be released at some point, but there would probably a lot less people complaining.

Although, now that I think about it, the people complaining would still be the same ones as in this thread right now.

OK, never mind I said anything, carry on venting and raging over one simple sentence everyone!
Still, I do think that if people do have major issues with the one central server, the netcode is more at fault than the fact that the servers are in just one location.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #237
Kran De Loy
Captain

Didn't want to bother editing this in to the last post.

Dear SOE,

Please separate the North American player base into East and West coast so players not in North America can have slightly better pings.

Thanks,
Handful of Euros
Dear Malorn,

Please limit the total number of people willing to play Planetside 2 in NA to less than 6000 people.

Thanks.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #238
Toppopia
Major

Am i reading this thread correctly? Are some of you complaining about 80ms ping? You people make me laugh. How about you realise that you can't have a perfect connection, and you guys saying i won't play if it is more than 50ms?? You are ridiculous!! I can still go pretty good in games of 200ms ping so if i can go good with that and i consider myself and average skilled player. Then all you skilled people should still be awesome.

Now that my rant is out of the way. It is always good having choices for servers, because i wouldn't want only east coast servers or that would increase my ping by 50ms and that is a big no no to some of you, so as long as there is west coast servers then i don't care much. I would love a Australia server but that will probably not happen and it would stop me from playing with my American friends. So all of you complaining about ping, stop complaining and think about how lucky you are to get less than 100ms and think about the poor souls who get 100ms+ ping.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-06-13 at 04:37 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #239
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Am i reading this thread correctly? Are some of you complaining about 80ms ping? You people make me feel very annoyed. How about you people realise that you can't have a perfect connection, and you guys saying i won't play if it is more than 50ms?? You are ridiculous!! I can still go pretty good in games of 200ms ping so if i can go good with that and i consider myself and average skilled player. Then all you skilled people should still be awesome.

Now that my rant is out of the way. It is always good having choices for servers, because i wouldn't only east coast servers or that would increase my ping by 50ms and that is a big no no to some of you, so as long as there is west coast servers then i don't care much. I would love a Australia server but that will probably not happen and it would stop me from playing with my American friends. So all of you complaining about ping, stop complaining and think about how lucky you are to get less than 100ms and think about the poor souls who get 100ms+ ping.
Thank you,

Ping issue doesn't matter, I agree with you on that.

Forcing a single server location is the issue, tho so please lets try to keep it with that.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-13 at 04:40 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #240
Bags
Lieutenant General

Except the ping issue does matter to a lot of us. Saying it doesn't matter doesn't change that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion