Gameplay: TR Tank Destroyer concept: Controller - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PUT YOUR HEAD BACK IN THAT BUCKET!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-08-21, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Re: TR Tank Destroyer concept: Controller

So from the art the major downside to these tank-busters is that none of the them have a swivel turret? You have to point the whole vehicle at the target? I really like that actually.
Old 2013-08-22, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post
So from the art the major downside to these tank-busters is that none of the them have a swivel turret? You have to point the whole vehicle at the target? I really like that actually.
That's the idea, yes.

In comparison to a Lightning, they trade profile height and weight for frontal absorption and a bigger AV gun. In the case of the hovering TD, they also trade armour for maneuvrability and speed, as being able to dodge and being harder to lead means you don't need to absorb as much damage (would otherwise be unfair: being able to dodge AND absorb would result in an unfair advantage - in melee and as sniper the Vanu TD would be unrivaled, though at medium range and in tight maneuvring spaces it'd be better to have the strong frontal armour).

You'll note that most solo-unit players don't make appropriate use of a swivel turret unless they're standing still anyway, hence a swivel turret design in my view is better spend on team vehicles than on solo vehicles, where it only adds to worse driving performance by the distracted driver.
Old 2013-08-22, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

So has Smedley drawn up that contract yet Figment? Taken their time since your AMS concept and to be quite fair you've got alot of work on your plate with bases and vehicle redesign
Old 2013-09-24, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrMak
Sergeant Major

So the TR TD would have the anchor mode whiel the NC tD woudl have a n overcharge mode for the coils in ithe gauss cannon. What about the Vanu TD? Simply giving it the magburner? Maybe a variant of the magburner designed to help strafing?
Old 2013-10-06, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
TheAadvark
Corporal

The Tank Destroyer's look great, would love to see them in game.

But given that TD's have less armor than MBT's and they have no secondary weapon on a swivel (or indeed bring it's main gun to bear fast enough) that can deal with the overwhelming amount of Anti-Vehicle infantry weapons, that already make driving an MBT or Lightning an extremely brief occupation for most of us, render these vehicles useless.
Old 2014-04-29, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Figment
Lieutenant General

Sorry for the late replies, been away a long time.

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
So has Smedley drawn up that contract yet Figment? Taken their time since your AMS concept and to be quite fair you've got alot of work on your plate with bases and vehicle redesign
No contract.

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
So the TR TD would have the anchor mode whiel the NC tD woudl have a n overcharge mode for the coils in ithe gauss cannon. What about the Vanu TD? Simply giving it the magburner? Maybe a variant of the magburner designed to help strafing?
Well... Tbh, strafing itself is already a huge advantage and active ability that the others lack. I was thinking of limited agility thrusters though.

Originally Posted by TheAadvark View Post
The Tank Destroyer's look great, would love to see them in game.

But given that TD's have less armor than MBT's and they have no secondary weapon on a swivel (or indeed bring it's main gun to bear fast enough) that can deal with the overwhelming amount of Anti-Vehicle infantry weapons, that already make driving an MBT or Lightning an extremely brief occupation for most of us, render these vehicles useless.
Personally I would like to see the following things to be implemented along with it:

- Crew requirement increase for MBTs
- Relative armour increase for tanks through an AV strength reduction on vehicles and weaponry
- Limited engineering juice (require clips for repairs as well)
- Reduction in repair speed
- Handheld AV carriers more rounds
- Weaker mines, but more mines.

See, I'd rather see a little bit more stamina in the field, off-set by an increase in the value of dealing damage (more value to dealing damage through damage lasting longer and being impossible to repair endlessly). I think it's currently the wrong way around.

Similarly, I feel heavy air has too much hitpoints right now and too fast a TTK.
Old 2014-05-03, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Oh I forgot about this thread - put together an NS light tank destroyer:

Although I have been focused on NS vehicles, I do want to branch out into ES ones as they could look awesome, and it would be interesting to get the differences modeled.
Old 2014-05-03, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Figment
Lieutenant General

Nice adaption of the Lightning concept.

Any chance you could model these other tank destroyers?

in terms of size, the NC one would be about that of the Lightning, with the other two more the size of the Thunder you posted (but slightly wider).

Last edited by Figment; 2014-05-03 at 07:06 AM.
Old 2014-05-08, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, I want to get more into ES stuff, and this seems like a good place to start.

Once I finish my work on the Navy!
Old 2014-05-10, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Figment
Lieutenant General

Cool! Thanks.
Old 2014-05-26, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Here is the first:

Not happy with how flat the back looks, and I have not made a deployed version or thought about what pieces I want to use for the deploy method. I may go back and add detail to it, although i am itching to start the NC one.
Old 2014-05-26, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

NC one:

Pretty pleased with that one, nothing I want to add really.
Old 2014-05-26, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

And the VS Version, which was a bit of a bodge job:

Old 2014-05-27, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Figment
Lieutenant General

Hah nice, thanks man! I see you took some liberties with the design and commentary?

Should tweat these to T-Ray and Higgles btw.

Last edited by Figment; 2014-05-27 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2014-05-27, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I'll slap it on reddit and see what the hordes say as well.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault