Huge blast from the past. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: For when you get sick of looking at the spawntube door.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2011-10-14, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Huge blast from the past.

An article from 1999.

Quoted because the font colors on the site are horrible.

As described in the Daily Radar piece, the Planetside design team, led by Kevin McCann, have been working on what they describe as a “massively multiplayer tactical first-person shooter.” As McCann describes,

Versus an RPG, the storyline plays less of a role because I’m trying to make sure that the game stays true to what it’s trying to be — a first-person shooter. We have some role-playing, but it’s very light. People aren’t going to be coming in here to socialize, they’re going to come in to fight.
Players will assume actual avatars, with skills and statistics that persist and advance as the player progresses, but the gameplay itself is firmly shooter – the character skills themselves won’t impact the player skills – if you suck at shooters, you’re going to suck regardless of how high level the character you’re playing is. The actual game pace was described as “faster than Counterstrike, but not as fast as Quake 3″. Players will be attached to one of four teams (“corporations”) for a sort of mega-faction system, although presumably clans and teams will form underneath that layer.

So is this the “human skill” breakthrough Hedron has been praying for? Could be. Let’s go back to what McCann has to say about how a massively multiplayer shooter diverges from, say, Everquest:

this is a very different type of game. You still have character ranks and advancement, but it’s not the same. They aren’t the power aspect that you’d find in an RPG, where at level 10 you can kick the crap out of everything and what you fought at level 1, you sneeze at and it dies. There will be some return on your character, seeing him go up in rank and abilities, as well as other little rewards, like giving players better apartments. We’ll be scaling player’s homes from grungy quarters up to nicer apartments.

Over time, we want to introduce new equipment. Sometimes, equipment may only be available for a short time. For example, there might be a prototype tank that’s available for a certain amount of time before it’s gone. Other times, there will be new weapons that stick around. Basically, we intend to continually add new content. We’re not going to throw something in without severe testing, of course. There will also be new territories that we open up as the game progresses.

We do plan on doing a fair amount of campaigns. These won’t be every day, but we’ll be putting together bigger campaigns, with large fronts fighting for specific objectives. We’ll be doing at least one of these a month and make sure that we can accommodate everyone who wants to play in this type of thing. You’ll get an email in your account two weeks before to tell you that your corporation is looking for soldiers to help out take over a continent that you’d never seen before. You’re going to have a huge front, where you have several strike forces operating at the same time with a common goal. In the game itself, you’re still working for the company, but it’s a focused effort where you’ll have very large scale battles going on all over the place.
Of course, there is a downside. As you might have noticed from the first paragraph, it’s being developed by Verant. Verant has had, um, some issues. According to Fatbabies, quite a few of them. Fatbabies posted a story last week about Planetside (which they called “Tanarus 2″) that said that the game was basically an elaborate hoax (hey, we’ve never seen THAT in MMOG announcements!) and that what was actually being implemented in the game was nothing more than 300 person Quake levels (Planetside’s McCann is promising 3000 person servers). John Smedley responded with basically “you’re lying, none of your story is true, bite me.” Or, in his words,

Please remove your heads from their current locations and save the fiction writing for the Great American Novel I’m sure you’re writing.
Fatbabies responded by calling PC Gamer, source of the Planetside story in the first place, an unreliable source of news. (I can’t make stuff up this good, folks.)

As always, the truth will be on the shelves. In Planetside’s case, check back at the end of next year. Until then, ponder these final words of wisdom from Kevin McCann:

You can loot whoever. This is the PK game. What everyone else bitches about in other games, you can do here.
Four "Corporations" and even Campaigns..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-14, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

Re: Huge blast from the past.

That is a Gem. Everything concerning this game always seems to turn out interesting and awesome. Even BFRs. Yeah.
Old 2011-10-14, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raymac
Brigadier General

Fun read, but it actually does point out one of my concerns for PS2. They were aiming for 3000 players going at it in Planetside originally and ended up with alot less. I'm afraid PS2 is going to be the same thing. They'll aim for thousands, but not be able to deliver.

The beautiful screenshots we've seen have been a bit of a double edged sword for me. On 1 side, they look amazing, but on the other side the more I fear the bigger battles won't be technologically feasible.

I think this is called guarded optimism?

Old 2011-10-15, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
duomaxwl
Captain

Nice read. I've been holding on to this one on my old imageshack account for a while.

Not as cool as the article, but neat none-the-less.
Old 2011-10-15, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by duomaxwl View Post
Nice read. I've been holding on to this one on my old imageshack account for a while.

Might want to back up everything you have on ImageShack. Remember when Photobucket just took everything offline and basically said "tough luck."?
Old 2011-10-15, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Fun read, but it actually does point out one of my concerns for PS2. They were aiming for 3000 players going at it in Planetside originally and ended up with alot less. I'm afraid PS2 is going to be the same thing. They'll aim for thousands, but not be able to deliver.

The beautiful screenshots we've seen have been a bit of a double edged sword for me. On 1 side, they look amazing, but on the other side the more I fear the bigger battles won't be technologically feasible.

I think this is called guarded optimism?
Even if they only matched Ps1, worst case, it's still awesome.
Old 2011-10-15, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

An interesting yet painful read:

Players will be attached to one of four teams (“corporations”) for a sort of mega-faction system.
Who were the fourth, how far along were they?

apartments. We’ll be scaling player’s homes from grungy quarters up to nicer apartments.
What happened to these?

Over time, we want to introduce new equipment. Sometimes, equipment may only be available for a short time. For example, there might be a prototype tank that’s available for a certain amount of time before it’s gone.
Like the Battle Island cowboy event?

Other times, there will be new weapons that stick around. Basically, we intend to continually add new content. We’re not going to throw something in without severe testing, of course.
I suppose BFRs were tested... but well, we know the results.

We do plan on doing a fair amount of campaigns. These won’t be every day, but we’ll be putting together bigger campaigns, with large fronts fighting for specific objectives. We’ll be doing at least one of these a month and make sure that we can accommodate everyone who wants to play in this type of thing. You’ll get an email in your account two weeks before to tell you that your corporation is looking for soldiers to help out take over a continent that you’d never seen before.
Never happened.

game was nothing more than 300 person Quake levels (Planetside’s McCann is promising 3000 person servers)
400 is what we ended up with, lets hope that PS2 can deliver on its promises...

As always, the truth will be on the shelves. In Planetside’s case, check back at the end of next year
article written in 1999, next year would be 2000 and it ended up released in 2003.

Bah, I'm being very negative, but I'm in a crap mood this morning!
Old 2011-10-15, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well the article is just proof that not everything comes out the way it was envisioned in early development.

The thing with PlanetSide 2 is though I doubt it's in early development. What we are hearing now is part of the media push, not very early on development like when this article was written.

Originally Posted by duomaxwl View Post

haha nice!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-15, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SgtMAD
Captain

I honestly think SOE is planning a May/2011 release,the beta starts after the new year and runs until may,just like it did in 2003.

it would be just like SOE to roll PS2 out on the anniversary of PS
Old 2011-10-15, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Might want to back up everything you have on ImageShack. Remember when Photobucket just took everything offline and basically said "tough luck."?
I'll keep that mind. I don't really have anything on there. I actually don't trust it anymore, I tried showing a link once and it showed on a forum for a week than the picture was deleted. So I transfered that to imgur.
Old 2011-10-16, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Graywolves
General

Very interesting read. It was interesting seeing some differences from over a decade ago (who says PK anymore?).

I also noticed how some things never change. The "faster than Counterstrike but slower than Quake in pacing." really echoed in my head along with "faster than Battlefield, slower than Call of Doody."
Old 2011-10-16, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Very interesting read. It was interesting seeing some differences from over a decade ago (who says PK anymore?).

I also noticed how some things never change. The "faster than Counterstrike but slower than Quake in pacing." really echoed in my head along with "faster than Battlefield, slower than Call of Doody."
which is funny since thye were not referring to ttk like we do when we make similar statements, but more about people's movement speeds.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2011-10-20, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

They said 3000 ppl servers. Not 3000 Ppl Battles by the way. They really aiming for 1000 people battles this time around. I.e. 3 times PS1.
Old 2011-10-24, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Canaris
Contributor
General

Fatbabies posted a story last week about Planetside (which they called “Tanarus 2″) that said that the game was basically an elaborate hoax
well it's offically the best Hoax ever!
I keep falling for it

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2011-10-25, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
well it's offically the best Hoax ever!
I keep falling for it
Yep, you're so gullible.

Hey, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

No, no, even better. You should totally check out this game that's coming out. It's called Tanarus 3 and it's going to be amazing! I think some people are calling it Planetside Next, or Planetside 2 or something like that.

It's great to look back and see how much bullshit people talk about things they don't know about.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion