Proposal: Sniper Rifle Alternate Fire Mode - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When Vanu Dance, its to the TR Gunman Band
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-11, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Proposal: Sniper Rifle Alternate Fire Mode

I havnt played with the sniper rifle much, but i have noticed they are more or less worthless against soft targets. In my further uests to give infantrymen more AA capabilites, here is what i propose.

Give the sniper rifle a secondary fire mode, to use the user must be crouched, activate secondary fire mode, be wearing reinforced armor and go throuhg about a 10 second give or take tear down/setup mode. Basicly the sniper rifle using connetic enery capacitors and the shooters own body and armor for a backstop goies into recoiless cannon mode, able to shoot it's projectiles at much greater speed and with much greater stopping power.

Pros:Gives the sniper rifle damage to armor equal to roughly half the desolator (sp?) Ability to take out max's in 3 shots.

Cons:Limited verticle muzzle climb, 65 degrees or less. Limited horizontical muzzle movement 90 degrees or less. No movement until weapon system is broken down set up. Also when gun fires a loud sound is hear (i mean really loud it is a recoiless cannon after all, if you've seen blackhawk down you've seen one) this sound whould causes the sniper to be sdestinctly veisible on units closeby radar, also a displacement of energy should light up the sniper visibly. Reload timewhould remain the same.

Thoughts?

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-06-11, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Pytagoras
Private

100 Sniper kills yesterday.. I don't complain...

The Bolt Driver should be left alone.. The last thing we need is PS turning into a sniper party.
Old 2003-06-11, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
FearTheAtlas
First Lieutenant

I agree, but if they made a SEPERATE weapon like that, well..I wouldn't be against that. It'd actually give a use to the bunkers, and a meaning to Supressing Fire
Old 2003-06-11, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
JakeLogan
Major

I like the idea sounds kinda cool but not as a sniper rifle. should be a weapon in its own. maybe in the sniper cert? Not sure but it sounds like a cool idea.
Old 2003-06-11, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
JakeLogan
Major

Just thought of it but it would be cool to have that Anti tank rifle from Tremors 2. Looks like a fun gun
Old 2003-06-11, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Led

Just use a lancer.
Old 2003-06-11, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Old 2003-06-11, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
kerosene31
Staff Sergeant

If you increase the sniper rifle even just a little, you risk turning this game into a sniper fest. Imagine hundreds of snipers running around and no one capping bases. The wide open terrain would just encourage it.

Anyone who has ever played the Omaha Beach map on Battlefield 1942 with half a team of snipers knows what I am talking about.

Sniping is fine now. It is an art that takes skill and strategy.
Old 2003-06-11, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ZeroG
Private

I have no idea what you are talking about.

ZeroG <----- N00b

(btw just started playing PS yesterday, luv the game so much, plus the community seems really nice)
Old 2003-06-11, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I am , the Bolt Driver owns soft targets like nobody's business...
Old 2003-06-11, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The sniper rifle does not need any help. The developers clearly went to great pains to make sure it didn't turn into SniperSide, and for that I applaud them. Don't suggest things that will ruin what they attempted and succeeded at doing where so many other devs have failed.
Old 2003-06-11, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Led

I am actually honestly amazed at how great a job they did with the bolt driver. Not too powerful, not too weak, the 'real' snipers love it, while the 'doods' hate it.
Old 2003-06-11, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Yeah, the d00ds are too busy dry-humping their Jackhammers
Old 2003-06-11, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
sniper4evr26
Corporal

im fine with the way the bolt driver is now too. EXCEPT-- i do think it could have a clip of like three bullets or something like that. adding two shots before reload wont affect that much, and its common pool, so you wont have all the nOObs and retards on the official boards complaining about nerfs and this and that and "mommy, some person over the internet wont let me win..." yeah, enough of that crap. Who's with me?
Old 2003-06-11, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

The sniper rifle is fine as it is. Adding clip size is just a bad idea, sorry. First of all, sniper rifles have traditionally been single shot bolt action rifles. Secondly (and game related) the fact that the rifle is bolt action is often times the only thing that saves a reinforced who is in my scope. If I could squeeze off two quick shots every time a soft target was in my scope it would make the sniper entirely too powerful, a single shot already downs standard/agile/infil, reinforced get a chance to run and hide after the first shot.
Like I posted yesterday, being a sniper in this game takes a lot more thought than I'd originally given it credit for. It's extremely well balanced and it's something that you can actually see yourself getting better at (my kills/death ratio gets better pretty much each day as I work out better strategy with it). Plus my proudest moment of the game so far was using range magnifier at 12x and taking out a moving target that was about a quarter inch tall running along a base wall. Like somebody else said, the sniper rifle owns soft targets.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion