Proposal: Sniper Rifle Alternate Fire Mode - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm not lazy, I just...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-11, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Wait. So you want to increase the bullet velocity, make it into a cannon with a scope, complete with loud bang and all, and then call it recoiless? Somethings not right here.

Your talking antitank. We have that. The AV certs are fine. Lancer is great, stryker is amazing, and pheonix is really funny to dodge.....I love watching that come at me and afterburning or using jump jets.

The only think id do to snipers is make them more empire specific, but we all know how much bitching that would cause.
Old 2003-06-11, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Well, their Jackhammers or their TR MAXs anyway

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-06-11, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
tmartinez72
Sergeant

Agree with the majority here. Bolt driver is fine as-is.

As for a great combo, reinforced with 2 bolt drivers. Save that extra .5 seconds pulling out a second rifle rather than reloading.

Back away, and reload both, rinse and repeat.
Old 2003-06-11, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Milenko
Private

When I use to play battlefield a lot of time 75% of the team mostly noobs were snipers if there too many snipers you lose everytime.
Bolt driver good enough, it does take some skill to use unless you shooting a noob. Funny when I shoot someone they stop and look around for a bit maybe even crouch.
Now that i've been sniping for awhile gotten pretty good at perdicting where the person gonna move next and when to shoot, fun getting moving shot kills. But snipering deffiantly isn't for everyone.
Old 2003-06-11, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Seer
Major

Originally posted by Airlift
Yeah, the d00ds are too busy dry-humping their Jackhammers
*spit take*
Old 2003-06-11, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
aiwest420
Sergeant Major

sigh.....bolt driver is fine.

why dont you try and come up with good ideas for weapons that need em....*Cough* most VS weapons.

;o
Old 2003-06-11, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tieom
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Seer
*spit take*
I didn't think the original line was that funny, but that was hilarious, for some reason.

For those who don't know - a 'spit take' is when someone is in the act of drinking and something surprises them or makes them laugh and they spray the drink all over the place.
Old 2003-06-11, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

The humor of the original line can only be found in the context. You have to know a little about Led before you get the poke. Truthfully tho, I like the Jackhammer as much as she does, and spend quite a bit of time and effort to keep my locker full of them.
Old 2003-06-11, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
TheRegurgitator
Major

one thing that sounds cool for snipers is AP bullets. Do a few bullets changes and turn on some special vision(Thermal or something) and u can shoot through the tank and into the drivers head heheh (Although id probably end up hating that because i drive a vehicle)
Old 2003-06-11, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Actually an AP round isn't a horrible idea. Right now when people wise up to the fact that they've got a sniper in a general area they'll normally round up the vehicles and hope to squash you. That's a hard one. It takes 6 shots to fell a MAX, but it should take a lot. I wouldn't think killing the driver of a vehicle would be fair but I'd like to think that I can damage a vehicle a little before it squashes me like a bug. If the AP rounds did extra damage to flying and driving vehicles and not MAX's it might be best. You're still not going to destroy much besides an occasional mosquito, but going down with a fight is always nice.
Old 2003-06-11, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TheRegurgitator
Major

theres gotta be weak spots that you can shoot through that do more damage when they hit the driver and weak spots such as the side of the harasser
Old 2003-06-12, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
wasupx
Private

ap mode isnt great, why? The bullets are already ap. They do 100 damage total/armor. However, there are 4 categories of armor/vehicles. No armor (basilisk/wraith/mosquito/ant), Light armor (reaver/max/harasser?), medium armor (deliverer/heavy buggies), heavy armor (ams, galaxy, tanks). The light armor is a confirmed diviser of 2 against infantry ap bullets. Thus 14 sniper shots to kill a max (100x14/2=650armor(13shots)+100hp(14th shot) of a max). Im not sure what the diviser for medium vehicles or heavy are, probably 4 and 8 (why ap mode does jack with medium assault weapons/ha). All ap ammo falls under these armor damage categories.

Id like 3upgrades for sniping in an expansion, say an advanced sniping cert. These can be 3 seperate empire specific rifles or 3 mods you can place say, in first pistol slot to get the effect (i.e they dont want to balance each empire weapon thus making these 3mods common pool):
1) Silencer (very small rapport, same damage)
2) Combat sniper (3-5shot clip with reduced damage or range)
3) Precision Rifle (slightly relaxed CoF penalties, longer range, same damage)

Just buying the cert would allow you to shoot accurately standing (cof will reduce to accurate shot while standing, takes little more time than crouching).

Last edited by wasupx; 2003-06-12 at 03:20 AM.
Old 2003-06-12, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Cirkusphreak
Contributor
Corporal

The only problem that I experience with the BD isn't so much the damage aspect or the reload time, but more with the difficulty of proper targeting. I'm fully aware that the slightest movement when leading a mark from a different zip code makes huge difference, but I'd like to see a cert or even an update to make the reticule 'close' a little faster. Most people don't bother standing around for you to wait about 5-10 secs to allow the reticule to close enough to hopefully hit somewhere in their general vicinity, and those that do stand around with thumb-in-ass need to be flogged repeatedly. It's tough to track a active mover and I'm aware that this also is part of the developed skill. But, It seems that the slow aim makes things more difficult than they should be. The lesser damage, reload relay, required sniper cert are plenty of ways to weed out die-hard ghille-monsters, from folks looking for easy kills. Any advice on targeting tips would be appreciated tho.

Old 2003-06-12, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

First of all I would like to say that I love my bolt driver. It is so funny when an infantryman comes up to you thinking you only have a BD and you blow him away with a jackhammer.... Ahh anyways. The only thing I could think of changing would be more damage on head shots. Even if you hit the head sometimes you have to take 2 shots to kill a reinforced. I think that if you take the time to work for a head shot you should be rewarded with a one shot kill.

P.S. it is very hard to get a head shot from practical sniping distance.
Old 2003-06-12, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Something else I thought of last night that would be a nice addition. An alternate fire mode like the decimator alternate fire where your camera angle changes to the path of the bullet when you fire. Not only would it be cool (and probably taxing graphic wise) but it could help you to gauge whether you're firing too early/late when trying to hit moving targets. Trying to hit a moving target at 12x zoom can be very difficult to tell exactly how you're missing and anything we could use to help us judge these things would be nice.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion