[Posted on the OF] Sandtrout's idea on Stopping The Zerg - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't bring a gun to a Lasher fight.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-01-14, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Its called ATV, if you can't spare any certs, tough shit, IA and pray.
Old 2004-01-14, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Thats going a bit overboard. Allowing someone who just logs on 1 HART drop, isnt going to affect anything.
Old 2004-01-14, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

HART = bad.

Tower spawn = bad. Perhaps if there were a way to disable a tower from the outside. The retarded warping on the staircases and the rapid nature of respawn makes a tower a stupidly tough nut to crack.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-01-14, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
EarlyDawn
Major General

Once broadcast warpgates go in, canning the HART would be fun and practical. You can simply hop the Warpgates to the frontlines. It creates a nice frontline effect when the links randomize and two locked enemy continents clash, and makes locked continents kind of like "sub-sanctuaries" for the campaign.

So basically, put in the dynamic link lattice, the continental domination warpgate system, and remove the HART until you can put it into the game in a dynamic way. For example, you have to fight over orbital platforms so you can droppod in. Broadcast warpgates should be the primary transportation system, they'll make large transports important.
Old 2004-01-14, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Its called ATV, if you can't spare any certs, tough shit, IA and pray.

This idea has come merit, but I don�t really like it after I thought about it for a while. This would force non-vehicular players to change up their certs OR spend way too much time walking. Why disrupt that style of play especially since it�s not the CAUSE of this problem? Rexo troops and maxed out infiltrators would suffer from this change. I think you�d see a lot more Lighting tanks, Air Calvary, and MAX Units on the field. A minor note, I wonder how much lag 1,000,000 parked vehicles would cause? It would be a hackers paradise though. Also, I�m seeing the game possibly turning into an AMS Zerg and that does not appeal to me either. The AMS would fill the role of spawn and transportation for many, too many I suspect.

I think the key to defense is much more simple that you guys are planning out. I believe defense is weak for the same reason the caverns are empty. There is simply more incentive to attack then defend. Why defend a base and not get the victory BEP bonus or CEP bonus if you win? Just leave when things get tough and go to an offensive else ware that you can win and reap the rewards. The critical thing here is the lack of CEP for defenders. If the battle drags on too long the SL will be tempted pull his men out because he is not �going anywhere� as far as leveling CR goes.

Rather than or perhaps in addition to the 25% BEP bonus defenders get for kills there should be a time based reward for holding off attackers. Say for every 30 minutes the defenders hold out they get a BEP/CEP reward based on the amount of enemies in the SOI. This BEP/CEP reward would be reduced if the generator is taken down or the base is hacked. These penalties would also be time based thus rewarding a quick restore. Of course the most rewards would go to those who completely protect the CC and Generator rooms.

The difficulty here would be for the calculations for players who leave the SOI for the purpose of getting vehicles for a counter attack, so perhaps a failsafe absence timer could be applied so that if you are out of the SOI for less than 3 minutes at a time then those times are �forgiven�. This would help the vehicular defenders that might get �penalized� in the reward system for making tactical withdrawals for vehicles and or chasing the enemy out of the SOI (air pursuits come to mind here).
Old 2004-01-15, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Upon further reflection, the only way to balance the removal of the tower as a spawn point would to be to reinstate NTU penalties on bases for spawning and useing terminals. This way, you can choose to set up a perimiter around a base with AMS's outside of the parrimeter, and have a true siege that can be broken.

Zerging is NOT a tactic. The essence of the Zerg is a disorganized attack relying on pure numbers to overwhelm the deffences. Tactics are inherently organized actions. Tactics can take advantage of greater numbers, but the term implies that there is a method to the madness other than just throwing bodies at it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion