About our friend the Galaxy. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Everyone Knows Your Name
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-10, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TheGreatCarbini
First Sergeant

About our friend the Galaxy.

I was just wondering,since Island jumping is the only part that take load time for this game, if you have a fully packed Galaxy and you send it through the warp gate, what happens to the people with slow load times? Does the craft gate in once the driver has it loaded and then the passengers get warped back into the galaxy when they all finish warping? Cause some comps will load faster ect. Or dose the ship hold untill everyone has finished loading the new island? Was wondering cause those people with load time are gona be falling out of alot of dropships if it is already flying away hehe.
Old 2003-02-10, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm sure they have taken this into consideration. It will probably wait for all users to be synched up before it allows the pilot to fly out.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-02-10, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

it would be kinda funny though to see some poor shmoe materialize hundreds of feet above the ground and fall to his death just because the plane "dun left em'"
Old 2003-02-10, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

lol, that would be funny =) we would have to move the galaxy in w/o anyone in it, and the rest of the people load/unload in the no weapons zone.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa =P
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-10, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Diego
First Sergeant

Oh top of what Hamma said for them thinking it, I'm going to have a few thoughts..

A: The Galaxy waits for everyone to load, then goes out.

B: When the pilot of the Galaxy is loaded, it takes off (Others won't be THAT far behind). When the others load in, they will just be sitting in the Galaxy, in Mid-Flight. I don't think they'd just fall to their death, I believe SOE is smart enough to put them into the ship.

Thats my thoughts..
Old 2003-02-10, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

That is my tought also
Old 2003-02-10, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

I hope most people have broadband, or else anyone who rides in my DS will have RR or DSL. I hope that a server really can support all these 56k pieces of shit. BTW...And now for something completely different...PS has very small system requirements, I'll only need a new graphics card, anyone got an idea? I was thinking the R9700, but a little too expensive.
Old 2003-02-10, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

...anyone...
Old 2003-02-10, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Falcon
Corporal

Cool

Remember that the minimum requirements of the game is broadband, but there will be access to a limited (I think) amount of dialup users

Im Voting Nomikahn for Senior Editor
Old 2003-02-10, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

nope.

"Technical Information

What are the game's requirements?
This is not finalized. Current assumption is at 1.0Ghz CPU (more is better), a GeForce2 w/64MB VRAM, 512MB RAM (the RAM requirement may be lowered in the future...more details after further testing). A good sound card wouldn't hurt either. Neither would a broadband connection (although 56K Modems are supported).
Will there be a Mac or Linux version of the game, or possibly a console port?
While we won't rule anything out at this point, there are currently no plans to support any platform except the PC."
Old 2003-02-10, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

I have a, and a computer with a gforce 4 4600, and my neighbor has a computer with a radon 9700; and the gforce4 4600 has no capability issues, but he run into problems with the 9700 all the time. Several games have issues. And I can not tell a difference in frame rates, or looks of any game ive seen run on it.

I would go with the gforce line, they tend to work with everything. Its your money, but from my exp with them, that is what ive seen.
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-10, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

cool, thanks, i'll check out the prices on some older gforces.
Old 2003-02-11, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Diego
First Sergeant

GeForce 2 MX-400 = Not For PlanetSide

The lowest GeForce I would ever suggest for such a high end game, would be the GeForce3 Ti-500. I believe it's called the 500, I could be wrong. But if your even going to purchase a GeForce3, add 30 bucks and get a 4. I highly suggest getting a GeForce 4 Ti-4600/4800, You won't have to upgrade for quite some time, and the compatability issues won't be there.

If you want to go all out, I suggest getting a entire new system, and with that being said, pick yourself up a Nvidia GeForce FX. That bad boy has got some power, and you won't upgrade until 2006-2008. (A 2 year gap because we don't have a clue what type of gaming will be out, at that point PS-like games could be the "regular" engine.)

Hope that helps..
Old 2003-02-11, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mopo
Contributor
Corporal

NOTHING BELOW a GF3 for PS, infantry.

But since air has a lot more stuff on screen, id say at LEAST a GF4 for air.

Old 2003-02-11, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

1st off, I wouldn�t get a card until the beta is underway, since im sure that they will change the comp requirements along the way... but:

I don�t agree, I think that a GeForce3 Ti 500 will probably be able to play this game ok, you wont be able to bump up the graphics all the way like on a 4600, etc but you wont have any lag issues. If they say that the GeForce 2 MX-400 will run it prob will. The major parts of this game are not run on system, it is run on server side, so you don�t need all of the heavy duty stuff.

If I were you, and money was an issue, but not too big an issue, get one of the following cards:

GeForce4 MX 460/440 or a Geforce 3 Ti 500 (in that order)

A friend of mine is running the 440, and can play anything thus far that my 4600 can. Sure the graphics are down a notch or 2, but it is half the price.

Go here to look at the card specs:

G4-Mx-460/440:
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4mx

G4-4200/4600/4800:
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4ti

G3-500
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce3

Just so you can see, the min requirements are:
GeForce2 w/64MB VRAM:
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce2mx

So, it really comes down to how much money you are willing to spend.... The min card is cheap, the G4-440 is about 180-200$, the 4600 is around the 400$ range (but frys had it for 300$!!), so heres the info that I could give ya. Just be careful not to get a card that is close to the min specs before they finalize the requirements, you don�t want to have gotten 1, then have it not work =)

P.S.
the 4600, and the new 4800 are the same card! Look at the stats (on site, and on box) they are the same. They are making a new line for the FX coming out, and are still trying to get people to buy their "old" best card.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion