Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2002-12-23, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I should have known better.......

So my Dad wanted a computer so that he could get on the internet, send e-mails and maybe play a game or two. Being the idiot that I am I took him out, made sure he got a good deal, installed somesoftware, and sent him on his way.

That's when my nightmare began. Here is a glimps into the hell that is my Father on a computer....

I found this great program on the internet!! It let's me change the color of the text!!!
I can change the size too!!
*emailed to me*
I downloaded this file, and Norton says it's a virus. Can you open it and make sure it's ok?
And the strangest thing is he seems to beleave the recycle bin is the cuase of all his problems....

*phone message*
I was looking at my computer today and I noticed that 600kb is being used by the recycle bin. That's a lot of space, and I think I should clean it out. Do you know where it is and how I empty it?
I found this in my inbox this morning......

there are about 1500 files in my recycle bin, but it has the Norton Unerase Wizard on it and I can't figure out how to delete them. I'm sure all that used up space is slowing my computer down and why it keeps freezing up on me. Can you tell me what I need to do to get rid of them?
Please tell me I'm not alone. Post your parental computer nightmares.
Old 2002-12-23, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

My dad is really good with his PCs. He builds his own, and rarely calls me for support. The notable exception was when he was having trouble with the cable modem setup, but that was the cable company's fault anyway.

My mom, on the other hand, insists that she doesn't know how to "Use the internet", even though she has been on the web several times.
Old 2002-12-23, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Just the oposite for me.

My Mother is a computer wiz. She got a Masters in Math, and a Bachlors in bussiness and has been working with Computers since damn near the time they were invented.

Everytime that I complain my P4 is too slow she mentions that the first one she ever had only had a 4meg HD and 16kb of ram

My Dad on the other hand is an idiot.
Old 2002-12-23, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
�io
Lieutenant General

Re: I should have known better.......

Originally posted by Unregistered
Please tell me I'm not alone. Post your parental computer nightmares.
Not enough space on PSU to post all that.

One of the most friggin annoying things is my mom calling me into the computer room because of some "virus" or "warning" only to find yet another stupid ad disguised as a windows msg.
Old 2002-12-23, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

I've got you all beat. I was living with my Great Grandmother who was 79 when she wanted a PC to help her out in getting a better job! (She'll be 82 in May, and still works for FUN!) So I helped her pick out a good PC, and put her on my Cable. I don't even know were to start other than she didn't know anything about computers at all.

She turned on her PC one day, got onto the internet, and walked off. I ask her what is she doing? She said "doesn't it have to warm up?"

But one time I walked her threw how to reboot the modem, and reconfig the NIC over the phone. It took 30 minutes but it was done!

For the past 3 years, I've been dealing with stuff like that. I live in TX and she lives in TN now.

Toimu:
IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs

PS Storyline
Old 2002-12-23, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-23, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
diluted
Major

wow im thankful. my parents are retards with a comp except my dad but even he is a lil bit. when referring to speeds and overall quality of the computer he asks "how -big- it is" no big deal but "how big is your computer" is pretty fcked up.
Old 2002-12-23, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zumthor
Staff Sergeant

My dad is still convinced that you cant find a website unless you know the exact adress. I tried explaining to him the idea of search engines but he he didnt belive me.

"How is the search engine supposed to know the adress?"
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge