While we wait for CBT: Squad Composition - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Caution: Vanguard on Duty
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-31, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

Re: While we wait for CBT: Squad Composition

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Yea for sure, flamethrowers are kinda deadly, and suit best for point capture point rooms defense. Anyway I see maxes like vehicles, most effective in groups, I'd like to get in the facility, and drop 7 maxes and 3 engineers on the field at once. Max surely gives advantages, but they aren't bulletproof robots anymore
The Devs would not have made the MAX's to work like vehicles although they do have a cooldown and I think they also cost resources (?). 7 MAX's and 3 engineers isn't a flexible combination, a flexible combination would be a combination of all the classes with a particular emphasis on assault troopers of one or both kinds. The amount of firepower the MAX could give to a squad (Even 1) and the ability to storm a room soaking up more firepower than ANY other class can take will undoubtedly be huge advantage to any squad.

I'm not saying that the MAX-Engineer combo isn't a complete bad one, but a good squad would focus the engineers before the MAX's. It's just an easy combo to counter. A good infiltrator could ruin that squads engineers in 1 clip.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

For capture, I'd probably say :

3 Light Assault
2 Engineers
2 Medics
1 Max (Infantry weapons)

But a MAX standing next to a doorframe with non-stop fire is probably going to be quite deadly.
Hell yeah, especially with two machineguns.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

One squad of guys, hmmm... This post needs ti be expanded to what you want in your platoon.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
One squad of guys, hmmm... This post needs ti be expanded to what you want in your platoon.
Well the opening post was about one squad or one platoon, if anyone wants to share a wide strategic plan based on 2-3 squads that would be nice to read!
Old 2012-07-31, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
feuerdog
Corporal

A platoon is made up of squads, so we can always extrapolate from one into the other.
If a squad is about 6~10 players, then you only have to determine you required need to complete the objective. One squad, two squads, or an entire platoon,....or two?

The tricky part isn't determining how many, but what composition, and is it generic or specific. There are far too many variables to predict specifics, so you either build as per the need or cover as many common needs as possible.

MAXs have been shown in pre-beta footage to be outmaneauverable and more readily defeatable, but it's important to note that this is pre-beta and there is much balancing to be done.
IMO the MAX will be very powerful at holding room/choke point, especially with proper engineer support.
Again, pre-beta footage has not shown alot of well played MAX units.

Also, we have not seen how different the continents, terrain, and bases will actuially be. There will surely be aspects of Biolabs alone that dictate the need of a specific squad composition.
How about night operations? Night/thermal vision needs?
Elevated base structures? Light asasault, airborne needs?
Open terrain bases? Armored vehicle, Gal spawn needs?

Flexible and rapidly adapative compositons will be key aspect of successful ops.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

So what we need are a series of hypothetical situations that we can try to overcome with our squad or platoon. For example you are travelling with your platoon of thirty guys and you will be moving through enemy held territory in an attempt to flank a major base. What will your platoon be composed of?
Edit* the terrain is desert plateau, small trees and lots of ravines. The visibility is only up to 1000 meters because it is a clear day. The time is 0800 and you are moving towards the rising sun.

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-07-31 at 09:18 AM.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

So what we need are a series of hypothetical situations that we can try to overcome with our squad or platoon. For example you are travelling with your platoon of thirty guys and you will be moving through enemy held territory in an attempt to flank a major base. What will your platoon be composed of?
Edit* the terrain is desert plateau, small trees and lots of ravines. The visibility is only up to 1000 meters because it is a clear day. The time is 0800 and you are moving towards the rising sun.
Obiously, in a sutiation like this, the platonn should be composed of Flamethrower MAXes, Infiltrators, Medics and Light assault, since the other classes would be quite useless : MAXes would be in front line to clean, Infiltrators and Light Assault troops would try to cap the base as fast as possible.

Let's say 8 MAXes, 7 Light Assault, 7 Infiltrators, 6 Medics, and 2 Engineers for the MAXes.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
I wouldn't consider MAXes, mostly because they have cooldowns, MAXes are best used with mass Pod Deployment once the are is clear, plus they are treated like vehicles maybe

Of course a 7 Max 3 Engi squad would be nice, but kinda hard to be moved around
Where did this max is a vehicle thing come from ???
Old 2012-07-31, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Where did this max is a vehicle thing come from ???
The developers have talked about it and they are not sure if people should be allowed to choose a MAX whenever they want to, or if it should be on a cooldown and/or have a resource cost.

It is more likely that you won't be able to choose a MAX every time you respawn but nothing is set in stone as of now. Things like that will be decided upon during beta.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
feuerdog
Corporal

.....you are travelling with your platoon of thirty guys and you will be moving through enemy held territory in an attempt to flank a major base. What will your platoon be composed of?
Why are we flanking? What is the objective?
Is this a feint/capture/destruction effort, or what?
What is the enemy composition?
What is the target objective structure, if any?
Do we have supporting elements?
What assets and/or limitations do we have?

I know what your'e getting at at, but my point is that there are way too many variables to dictate a specific optimal organization.

Given the generic nature of your scenario, my force composition would be generic in nature due to the unknown nature of the objective. A combined arms force of at least platoon strength due to the unknown nature of the enemy, focused on mobility due to the open terrain, and moving at high speed to increase any chances of surprise.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

2 MAX's
2 HA
2 LA
2 Medics
1 Engineer
1 Infiltrator

That'd more or less be my standard squad, seeing as all but the MAX's actually serve as infantry as well I figured we could have a shortage on the Assault classes. And the way I see it... Infiltrator could probably be swapped to another Medic or LA- depends on the situation.

Last edited by HeatLegend; 2012-07-31 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stanis
Master Sergeant

Combined arms.

Air platoon
5x air (reaver/mossie/scythe)
2x AA max for a staging/retreat zone
2x AA spec lightning for staging/retreat/air support
1x galaxy

air provides forward scouting and air superiroity.
in the event of engaing enemy the aim is to retreat to kill zone created by maxes and lightning.
lightning pilots can provide repair for maxes if necessary

galaxy provides forward staging and ground squad drop capability. when in the air, 5x provides cover.

Armour
2x lightning with AA secondary
4x or 8x MBT (with/without gunners depending on metagame)

Ground
fire teams of 3. 1 medic per team.
based on player preferences.
can respawn at galaxy and reclass if required.

Far more important for each squad to be able to drop its assigned role and take another.
air/armour can easily leave vehicle and join the foot troops.
it is tempting to have a 2nd galaxy on standby. just because.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
feuerdog
Corporal

Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
Combined arms.

Far more important for each squad to be able to drop its assigned role and take another.
air/armour can easily leave vehicle and join the foot troops.
This. Agreed.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

We don't know if drop pod system will be modified, but as currently is such scenario could happen:

Step one -> One leader certified squad infiltrates the complex
Step two -> 3 platoons divides 10 leaders quickly
Step three -> massive drop

This is what gonna easly happen if they don't change the currently drop mechanism.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

I don't think the drop pods can go through the shield, actually.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion