People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Flippin burgers since '02
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-06, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem?

We have a number of players in outfit that feel the same way. They never want to squad lead, they still follow the rule. Its not to much to ask.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Crator
Major General

The main benefit to outfit play is the ability to have a good command structure to lead the players in engagements to be successful. Things such as strategy is taught to the commanders leading and tactics are taught to the non-leaders to properly engage in a battle the most efficient way using the amount of players you have that are being lead.

I'm not certain how outfits are supposed to determine outcomes between other enemy outfits in engagements in this open world PvP though. This is due to the fact that not everyone you are playing against is in the same outfit you are going up against.

What this means to me is that the game should not be about outfit vs. outfit unless we are talking about an instanced fight were the only participating members are 2 different outfits. It should be about empire vs. empire. This means there needs to be better tools to allow global communications from top outfits with the large member numbers to be able to tell the rest of the empire about an issue. Tools for the solo players to follow those large outfits. Get everyone engaged, not just outfit members, and retain far more players in the game.

It's a multifaceted issue with many different game mechanics that should have a look at by the devs imo.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Mastodon
Private

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
We have a number of players in outfit that feel the same way. They never want to squad lead, they still follow the rule. Its not to much to ask.
That is a perfect example of a reason I would not join an outfit. If I don't want to lead a squad I'm not going to do it. I'd rather just log off.

Now in contrast to my opinion on that rotating squad lead business, if an outfit needed me to play a specific class or drive a specific vehicle, I'd have no problem with that, even if it was longer term.

I'm not certain how outfits are supposed to determine outcomes between other enemy outfits in engagements in this open world PvP though. This is due to the fact that not everyone you are playing against is in the same outfit you are going up against.

What this means to me is that the game should not be about outfit vs. outfit unless we are talking about an instanced fight were the only participating members are 2 different outfits. It should be about empire vs. empire.
Crator, this is the point I was trying to make earlier when I said that I don't care about outfit vs. outfit. This game isn't about 666th vs The Enclave vs Azure Twilight. It's about NC vs TR vs VS. Narrowing the focus to single outfits takes away the spirit of what this game is.

Last edited by Mastodon; 2013-03-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

We don't make people do what they don't want to, not sure how you got you would have to be a SL. I don't even require people to pick this or that class, I just pick up on what people like to do, and use that in decisions/requests. That knowledge comes from working with others over time.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Mastodon
Private

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
We don't make people do what they don't want to, not sure how you got you would have to be a SL. I don't even require people to pick this or that class, I just pick up on what people like to do, and use that in decisions/requests. That knowledge comes from working with others over time.
Ah, you made it seem like it was mandatory for everyone to squad lead regardless of their desire to do it. My point still stands though. If it were the case where it was mandatory, that's the exact kind of thing that would push me away from an outfit.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

No, never. Hence my point, not all outfits are overbearing overloads.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Illtempered
First Sergeant

To each his own. Being in a good outfit is like being on a good team, or in a good band. There's an inexplicable thing that happens when you have a good, close-knit group of people that work well together. You have to experience it to understand it.

If you are one of those people that have never experienced anything like that, you should seek it out, whether it be in Planetside2 or the outside world. It's one of the true joys in life. I'm not saying it's impossible to find this without an outfit, but I'd bet it's much harder.

For me Planetside would be nothing without outfits. I've felt that way for ten years. I sincerely doubt I'd still be in this community if it weren't for my outfit. I fuckin love those guys.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I love running FKPK Op Night. I love participating on other teams' Op Nights. I love lone wolfing at odd hours. DEAR LORD HOW CAN THIS BE
Old 2013-03-06, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Interesting discussion all. When I started this thread I figured that more people would be saying that 'outfits are essential to the game' or something like that, I guess I was completely wrong . When I played 'the game that shall not be named' (PS1), I got the feeling that outfits were an integral part to each faction and that the game felt a bit dead without many active outfits around. It seems like in PS 2 this is completely different and people can just jump in and out without needing to join an outfit.

Lone wolf or outfit playstyle is fine; I have no problem with either. I think the issue is with the new players who come into the game, want to join a squad/outfit that suits their playstyle, but find it difficult to find them as the user interface isn't very helpful for those looking for outfits in-game and people don't seem to chat to each other very often compared to other MMOs.

By the way, I didn't start this thread to diss people who like to lone wolf and aren't in outfits. In fact I mostly play PS 2 on my own without a squad or with randoms and have a good time .
Old 2013-03-06, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I think the issue is with the new players who come into the game, want to join a squad/outfit that suits their playstyle, but find it difficult to find them as the user interface isn't very helpful for those looking for outfits in-game and people don't seem to chat to each other very often compared to other MMOs.
This is what we should be discussing in this thread. Thankfully there are already some other threads on the topic that have not devolved into useless diatribes.

- Mission System
- Guild Browser
- Ability to draw on the map
- More detailed/functional guild interface
- The ability for a single person to start/maintain an open squad
- and more

All of these things contribute to in game community building, player communication, retention, and satisfaction and if you have a look around here, we've discussed it all in great detail already. It's important.
Old 2013-03-06, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Put me down for #4. Until i can update my cpu and motherboard, im running early dual core, from about 4 years ago. It wasnt high end then. I can play in squad vs squad areas, but tech plants and massive battles just slow me down to almost nothing.
Old 2013-03-06, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Interesting discussion all. When I started this thread I figured that more people would be saying that 'outfits are essential to the game' or something like that, I guess I was completely wrong . When I played 'the game that shall not be named' (PS1), I got the feeling that outfits were an integral part to each faction and that the game felt a bit dead without many active outfits around. It seems like in PS 2 this is completely different and people can just jump in and out without needing to join an outfit.
Outfits work the same in PS1 and PS2. They weren't integral to playing the game other then for tighter communication mechanics and keeping a group of people informed on situations quickly using voice-comms.

Higher ranked empire commanders were the ones who could communicate with the entire empire, across all continents, to inform them of situations. PS1 also didn't really require outfits per se, because it was easy to determine where fights were and how locations were linked via the lattice by just looking at the map. Also the base objectives took much longer to capture (15 minutes) so you knew where to go or position yourself in order to take objectives where a fight would most likely happen, if it hasn't already started. The hotspots helped with determining that, which were typically valid for a longer period of time because the base objectives took up to 15 minutes to take.
Old 2013-03-06, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
This is what we should be discussing in this thread. Thankfully there are already some other threads on the topic that have not devolved into useless diatribes.

- Mission System
- Guild Browser
- Ability to draw on the map
- More detailed/functional guild interface
- The ability for a single person to start/maintain an open squad
- and more

All of these things contribute to in game community building, player communication, retention, and satisfaction and if you have a look around here, we've discussed it all in great detail already. It's important.
I agree here. this thread isn't going to help since the lone wolves say outfits are dictators and the outfits all say "who me?!" Blah blah - thats not the point.

If the game was more tailored toward team play (without forcing it) had metagame elements where you could be invested in the outcomes I think outfits would flourish far more.
Old 2013-03-06, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
camycamera
Major

i play in an outfit, because when it comes to deciding where to go, and what to do, i can't choose. and plus it is more epic, imo. go join an outfit if you don't know what battle to participate in.

however, the few times i go lone wolf at (wait for it...) the crown is when i just can't be stuff, and i just want to shoot shit, or if there aren't any Platoons up. but apart from that, i almost always play with an outfit.
Old 2013-03-06, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
OCNSethy
Major

Mainly falling in to group 4 myself.

If I want to play with a squad, I go auto pick at the WG but mainly find a good defence or attack via the map. I do get annoyed with getting spammed with outfit asks though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion